Are Torchlight series games any good?

I noticed Steam is having Halloween sale and I have this on my wishlist for some reason I can't remember now (I do that, put stuff on there and promptly forget it).

It looks kinda D3esque which is not a compliment, btw.
Censored.
Last bumped on Dec 14, 2017, 1:14:05 AM
I seemed to have missed both. I was rather distracted at the time of the second with some pressing issues but not sure why I missed the first.
Censored.
TL2 mine most favorite arpg after d2.
I should try one or both. Big sale at Steam folks!
Censored.
When it comes to itemization, TL2 beats out TL1, but TL1 gives you the chance to improve your items. I think I remembered improving an item to have like over a dozen affixes. lol

Gameplay wise, Both games are pretty much the same. Though, one feels more like an endless dungeon (like endless ledge in PoE), the other has the whole act blocks that most Diablo-type games has.

Both games have their own way of giving replayability, but I do not expect them to be at PoE's tier from my view. I recommend getting both if they are really cheap since they both offer different experience.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Oct 26, 2017, 6:44:01 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Loved TL1. The Uelmen soundtrack, the customised character classes, the enchantment system, the sheer unabashed aping of D1...

TL2 I just couldn't get into. Maybe by then I was spoiled for ARPG choice or maybe it was just too much like the first. I tried it. Just...didn't click.

Completely opposite for me. Coming from Median XL, TL1 felt absolutely terrible. A plodding pace with lots of auto-attacking due to a lack of resources, it seemed archaic and it wasn't even old yet. Felt like playing Frozen Orb in Diablo II: no relevant, fun Skills until you're a third of the way through. Could not get myself to push through that early slog in the hope of improvement, so do note that's just a feeling, not a fact!

TL2 was at least interesting enough to give a full runthrough plus a little. Stuff happened, things to see.
I'll watch vids of both later, I guess but it is looking like I may just get both. I'm really enjoying GD right now but might be something else for when I am sick of it.
Censored.
Figured as much :) There's the reason I chose to mention coming from MXL.
Played the hell out of both of them. Great games.
TL;DR: Are they any good? Yes. Serious rival to poe? I doubt it. Fun? Sure as hell. I prefer 2 over 1 though for the story. Quite fun, easy to learn, semi-hard to master. Figuring out the right skill/attribute spread can be quite challenging if you wanna min-max though.

Funny to see a post about this now...
I started playing TL2 a few days back out of boredom and because I had it in my steam library (probably from some bundle, I have no idea to be honest) and I'm having a lot of fun.
Four different classes, each with a different unique charge mechanic - temporal mana cost nullification, temporal 100% crit chance, plain combat stats and skill augmentation. Socketable items sometimes have effects like "5% chance to cause firestorm on hit", which makes for pretty fun combinations. Also, the set system is rather unique.
The graphics are... colourful and in a comic like style. I personally think it helps the game covering its age.

I remember having played the first game for quite a while... pretty much everything has been said about it though.

In both games you also have a pet by the way, which can fight, learn certain spells and even go to town, sell stuff and buy additional potions or scrolls.
Also, fishing. Both games have it. Not even kidding.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info