[3.2] Elemental Crit Cyclone Raider - Fast, fun, deadly! - Ready for Bestiary league

"
Euploid wrote:
Received the following question via PM:
"
MALAFAMER wrote:
Hello sorry to bother you but i was wondering since your eye is fast for detecting big problems i wanted to share my current build with you to see if you can give some pointers on things you see i need to change on my build.
If you cant i understand so no worries! I dont have Lycosidae yet and im trying to play your build and wanted to see if you can help me on things i need to change ill leave the PoB export link here thank you!! Thanks for taking the time for making the post btw!
https://pastebin.com/tbhL2Jyd

First things first, you're only level 70 so you've just entered maps and all of your gear is bad and your gem levels are low. That's totally normal for a level 70 character but it means that the amount of feedback I can give you right now is limited. I'll try to go by order of importance.

1. You definitely don't need 3 life flasks and you shouldn't need a mana flask at all. If you want to keep a mana flask for now that's fine but just use one of each. You need a quicksilver flask, a diamond flask and atziri's promise. Since you've started mapping I also recommend getting any flask with the "of warding" suffix, it can be your diamond flask since we now need life flasks anyway so you can use that for Staunching. Silver flasks are good for mapping and stibnites are very good, especially for progressing through maps as it makes boss-killing much easier when your gear is bad.

2. You only have 103 int and it's killing your gem levels. This is very bad, because almost all of your damage comes from gems that scale damage with levels. Get a Fertile Mind jewel and place it where you currently have a rare jewel, by Studious Combatant and Profane chemistry. That will give you enough int to level your gems to full but eventually you will want gear with int on it so you can replace Fertile Mind in the tree with a different jewel.

3. You have very little +life on gear, so your max HP is very low. When you upgrade your gear, +life is a must on any item that can have it.

4. Your weapon has a lot of flat elemental damage but it has no crit chance. Your foil needs to have attack speed and crit chance, preferably both over 20%. You can get flat elemental damage elsewhere. If you look at my last comment before this one I did a gearcheck with the same problem and showed an example poe.trade search for foils with only suffixes. Attack speed and crit chance are the most important stats by far for the foil.

5. You're not generating power charges. Elemental weakness in the curse on hit setup isn't a bad idea but assassin's mark is just better. It generates power charges and it also makes enemies more likely to receive crits, so for your character it would up your effective crit chance by around 20%.

6. In Abyss league, I am becoming more and more convinced that Belt of the Deceiver is straight up worse than Tombfist with a Murderous jewel. The Intimidate effect was the only reason why Deceiver was BiS, but now with another source of intimidate available we need to reconsider.

Tombfist has attack speed, %life and an abyss jewel socket where you can put flat elemental damage, resists, life, whatever you need. It opens up your belt slot for a Stygian Vise with life, resists and EDWA and you can put another abyss jewel in the belt. Since Stygian Vises are dropping everywhere all the time, the price of a good rare belt is much lower than it has been normally, and the Abyss jewels are very good for this build.

7. Immolate isn't a bad idea for cyclone links, I actually never considered it but it is definitely something I need to look into further. I can say though that for your character in its current state it's not the right choice.

Immolate only works on burning enemies and you need to crit for ignites to happen. Your crit chance is quite low since you have no local crit chance on your foil, you're not using a diamond flask, you're not generating power charges, not using assassin's mark and not using the inc crit gem in cyclone links.

I suggest replacing it with the inc crit gem. For boss fights you can sub in elemental focus, added lightning or critical damage. Or immolate, I guess, but only if your crit chance is at least 30-40%.

8. Just to be sure you're aware, Empower and Enlighten don't have any effect at level 1. They need to be at least level 2 in order to do anything at all. If you want to keep using the Wrath+empower+enlighten setup you could look into getting a Magna Eclipsis after you've upgraded the rest of your gear a bit. Magna Eclipsis has +2 to socketed gems so it works really well with empower+enlighten.

Without any specific questions that's all I can think of for now. If there's anything you're wondering about that I didn't address, just ask again.

Hi i made all of the changes you told me and its been way better then before do you mind checking everything i changed to see if you can see other big mistakes?

Thanks for taking the time to check builds it means a lot to us new players we learn a bunch thanks to you :D!

https://pastebin.com/VBqdhWKm
"
MALAFAMER wrote:

Hi i made all of the changes you told me and its been way better then before do you mind checking everything i changed to see if you can see other big mistakes?

Thanks for taking the time to check builds it means a lot to us new players we learn a bunch thanks to you :D!

https://pastebin.com/VBqdhWKm

It's mostly fine by now, but there are some things you should try to fix.

1. Removing fortify from your shield charge links is just very bad. When you're using Tombfist you get one less socket but fortify needs to stay, it's such a strong defensive buff. Instead you should remove Temporal Chains from your CWDT or Onslaught from your Herald setup.

2. Quality and roll your flasks. Diamond should ideally have Experimenter's prefix, quicksilver should be Alchemist's/Experimenter's of Adrenaline. Also, divine life flasks are the wrong choice for how you've rolled them. Divines are good for bubbling/seething (instant effect) but if you want non-instant flasks for a bigger heal you should be using Eternal flasks, because their healing over time is much faster. Catalysed or Panicked Eternals are really good for that.

3. Take advantage of Master crafting more. Your left ring and your amulet both have an open prefix where you can craft flat lightning or flat cold from Elreon.

4. You still have two extra Mana Leech nodes that I don't think you need. Try reallocating them and running some maps just to see if you feel like you need them or not. If you do, by all means keep using them. Also just want to point out that the last life node in the Blood Drinker cluster is a 6% life node and you've taken some 5% nodes over it, which is a small mistake.

Other than that just keep upgrading your rares and go for +1 frenzy darkray vectors. I'd say your amulet and belt could both be better and your abyssal jewels should preferably have flat ele damage, which yours don't. Those rings you currently have should be fine until you can afford to get Opal rings (but keep in mind that a two-stone with a 30% EDWA roll is still better damage than an Opal ring with no EDWA roll)

If you're gonna keep using Tombfist I'd recommend getting a pair with two abyssal sockets eventually, just to get more life and flat elemental damage from another abyssal jewel. The 2-link you're left with should just be CWDT-IC. You can put Ice golem in the socket on your foil where you currently have Elemental Focus.
Hey there!

What are the best stats on offensive jewels? Is there a priority in what elemental damage we want on attacks/sword attacks? Can you give a clear list on which stat takes priority over others?

Same for defensive stats, if that's not too much to ask....

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I've seen physical damage to attacks outperform elemental damage on the skill offensive sheet... is this correct? Like 2-6 phys damage is a bigger increase than 10-50 lightning damage on attacks?
Last edited by Tumzie on Jan 2, 2018, 2:30:13 PM
"
Tumzie wrote:
Hey there!

What are the best stats on offensive jewels? Is there a priority in what elemental damage we want on attacks/sword attacks? Can you give a clear list on which stat takes priority over others?

Same for defensive stats, if that's not too much to ask....

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I've seen physical damage to attacks outperform elemental damage on the skill offensive sheet... is this correct? Like 2-6 phys damage is a bigger increase than 10-50 lightning damage on attacks?

Offensive stats

Normal jewels:

---
Melee multi > Global multi > specific attack speed (swords, 1h, shield) > generic attack speed > %increased damage (area, generic, cold, lightning, etc.)
---

Abyss jewels:
Keep in mind that flat rolls (something that's not %-based) have tiers. You can look these up on poeaffix.net. The weapon-specific rolls for flat ele are not much better than the generic ones, they're basically the same. The stat prio assumes same tier, because if you're comparing t4 lightning with t1 cold, cold will obviously be better, but if both are T1 flat lightning will be better.

Need to state that the following prio is just off the top of my head and looking at possible rolls, I haven't rigorously compared them. Should be fairly accurate though.

---
Lightning damage to attacks > Other elemental damage to attacks > Attack speed if you've dealt a critical strike recently > Multi if you've killed recently > Damage if you've killed recently > generic attack speed > generic multi.
---

There are other useful offensive stats like onslaught on kill etc but they're not worth stacking, rather they're nice bonuses if you have them on a jewel that has 2 or 3 other good stats. Damage against abyssal monsters is pretty good too since abysses occur so often.

For pre-lycosidae characters accuracy on abyss jewels is nice but totally useless after you get lycosidae.

Defensive stats

Normal jewels:

---
%increased life > resists. There isn't anything else on normal jewels that's worth stacking.
---

Abyss jewels:
Keep in mind that flat rolls (something that's not %-based) have tiers. You can look these up on poeaffix.net.

---
Maximum life > Resists > Life regen per sec while moving (assuming you don't have VP) > Chance to blind enemies on hit with attacks
---

You shouldn't be stacking any phys damage at all, you have no scalars for it. If you equip a +phys damage item in hideout it might give you a higher tooltip than a flat ele one unbuffed but almost none of your passive nodes or support gems affect phys damage. If you look at it in PoB with buffs and flasks up you'll see that flat phys is useless compared to flat ele for your character.

Flat lightning adds the highest amount of EDPS out of the possible elemental rolls but cold is second best assuming you've taken the Fangs of Frost passive node cluster. Most of your scalars affect any elemental damage though so just use whatever jewel has the highest total of elemental damage.
Last edited by Euploid on Jan 2, 2018, 9:03:26 PM
I don't understand man, I did almost everything this build said, good sword, 6 link chest and almost everything similar but I do less damage and can't even do normal atziri, I guess I just suck.
"
I don't understand man, I did almost everything this build said, good sword, 6 link chest and almost everything similar but I do less damage and can't even do normal atziri, I guess I just suck.

You don't suck, I think you may be overestimating the quality of your gear a bit. The foil is very good but a lot of the rest; not so much.

Your Cyclone is effectively a 5-link, because Ruthless doesn't work with Cyclone anymore since 3.1. Replace it with inc crit strikes and sub in ele focus or added lightning when bossing. Remember to swap in conc over inc aoe for bossing as well.

Your level and thus life total are also a bit low so I wouldn't recommend using damage on full, especially for bossing. Damage on full is usually fine for mapping but for bossing it just doesn't make sense anymore with no instant leech. I'd replace it with added cold.

You're missing the cyclone enchant on helm and your diamond ring, amulet and jewels are not very good. Gloves are missing attack speed as well and you're missing +1 frenzy boots.

You shouldn't need a mana flask, replace it with a Silver or Stibnite flask and if you feel like you're running out of mana just take another mana leech node.

Lastly, your character is just lvl 83 so your life total will naturally be lower than my lvl 97 character. Try some of what I suggested above and see if it doesn't start working better so you can get to 90 and finish the passive tree :)
Thank you for your help, I will see what I can do to improve.
I just wanted to give you my thanks, this build is amazing to start a league, the gear and the dps/survivability scales so fucking well when you invest currency. Right now i've been able to do up to tier 12, but must be careful with the facetaking in the higher tier maps (hit and run). At the moment i must have spent something like 100 chaos in the whole gear and I'm saving for the Lycosidae. The 6-link Bronn doesn't feel like a major upgrade when the 5-link is doing so much. Still my only problem is the low mana when i use Wrath + Empower, maybe its because my Enlighten is only level 2. One thing i've been trying are the new abyss jewels which seem to greatly improve the dps. That's it, this build is fun and can farm a lot of different contents easily (i use leap slam in the lab tho). Again, thanks man, your guide is awesome!!!

EDIT: My character is Cyclone_dnv_kkkkkkk, what do you think i must prioritize in terms of upgrade? Right now im working on the Lycosidae, im worried cause right now i can only achieve 4.6k life
Last edited by pedromanoeltj on Jan 2, 2018, 10:44:36 PM
"
pedromanoeltj wrote:
I just wanted to give you my thanks, this build is amazing to start a league, the gear and the dps/survivability scales so fucking well when you invest currency. Right now i've been able to do up to tier 12, but must be careful with the facetaking in the higher tier maps (hit and run). At the moment i must have spent something like 100 chaos in the whole gear and I'm saving for the Lycosidae. The 6-link Bronn doesn't feel like a major upgrade when the 5-link is doing so much. Still my only problem is the low mana when i use Wrath + Empower, maybe its because my Enlighten is only level 2. One thing i've been trying are the new abyss jewels which seem to greatly improve the dps. That's it, this build is fun and can farm a lot of different contents easily (i use leap slam in the lab tho). Again, thanks man, your guide is awesome!!!

EDIT: My character is Cyclone_dnv_kkkkkkk, what do you think i must prioritize in terms of upgrade? Right now im working on the Lycosidae, im worried cause right now i can only achieve 4.6k life

Thank you for the kind words :)

Your character list is set to private though, so I can't look at them before you make it public.
Hi bro,
Your guide is so nice but i have a question: How do you manage your mana ? My cyclone's mana cost is 51 and with 220 mana (after reservation) i ussualy run out of mana if not using flask. Mana leech is so bad lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info