The real reason why they aren't making an auction house

What is wrong with people making earnings from better knowing what things are worth and spending time finding the right buyer and seller?

"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:

With an automated trade system, the difference between an under-priced item and an over-priced one will be only 2-3% and in such economy, and it will be almost impossible to profit more than 1% in each sale, and even a 1% difference in the price means it will take a long time to find good items to buy and a long time to sell them

Only for easily replaceable items, such as uniques or gems. Though even uniques they could be valued a bit more or less depending on rolls.
For rares, your rule wont work. When player wants to cap resists, for example, he may choose your item just because it grants correct resists for him. Even if you put an item 20% above average value, some player may buy it. Hell, sometimes i even had to buy items for 10 times their average value, just because they matched my resists.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
SudianX wrote:
Having read CyberWizardB5's post... I thought he was making an argument for an in-game buyout option... no?

"Effortless" leading to "exponential growth" was an argument against it?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough but for sure I want improvements in the market system

What I mean is that even if trade is easier it will never be easier to get the currency to buy the desired items

Some people say it will be so easy to get the desired items that whole game will get way too easy but I think it will probably be the opposite

Without price fixing, people will have to actually play the game instead of flipping to buy items, farming items for sure will be more rewarding than flipping because you don't have to underprice it to sell faster and continue farming, the automated market system will sell your items for the right value without you leaving the map

About other ways (besides price fixing) to manipulate the market the bigger the market the harder it will be

Example: Let's suppose someone is trying to buy all items X below 100c to sell them for 120c how many exes he needs now?

He doesn't need to buy items from offline people to achieve this so the required resources to do it is much smaller than it would if he needed to buy from offline people too

An automated market, by making it possible to sell while offline, would make this kind of market manipulation much harder because the market is now much bigger

Also because it's harder to profit by flipping it would be much harder to amass the currency for such market manipulation

Problems with botting will probably not get worse it may even reduce due to flipping becoming less lucrative

Flipping may even become easier but profit from it will be much harder without price-fixing and this problem may even reduce as well

Even balance the game will be easier if trade is made easier without the huge power gap between traders and non-traders because everyone will be a trader and almost no one will play self-imposed SSF until the beginning of maps

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:

With an automated trade system, the difference between an under-priced item and an over-priced one will be only 2-3% and in such economy, and it will be almost impossible to profit more than 1% in each sale, and even a 1% difference in the price means it will take a long time to find good items to buy and a long time to sell them

Only for easily replaceable items, such as uniques or gems. Though even uniques they could be valued a bit more or less depending on rolls.
For rares, your rule wont work. When player wants to cap resists, for example, he may choose your item just because it grants correct resists for him. Even if you put an item 20% above average value, some player may buy it. Hell, sometimes i even had to buy items for 10 times their average value, just because they matched my resists.

For sure in the case of rares the price variation will be bigger, but the market (because offline sellers) will be MUCH bigger and you will be able to choose among a much bigger number of items so you will find not only 1-2 items that fit your needs but 10-20 items and you will be able to choose the cheaper one

"
player is afk
player dnd: uberlab
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold
player is afk
sorry item is sold

wow, what an amazing trade experience there
Last edited by Rinzlow on Sep 24, 2017, 8:52:40 PM
"
Rinzlow wrote:

You are right. Poe trade should be shut down.
"
Mischief67 wrote:
"
WickedSausage wrote:
Diablo 3 proved AH didn't work. Even if we dont count RMAH. It was just way too conveniant to use it. You where always better of getting loot from there.

Alot of items have dropped in value in PoE because more people trade now then a few years ago. The more people put stuff out there, the more things lose value.
Automatic trading functions like AH makes it even easier for a few people to control the market. Or AH bots buying shit.

Be careful what you wish for.

Jesus the usual no brains are at it again.

^ This
"Yes, it is perfectly fair. It just sucks ass."
posted by Thaelyn on 12. August 2013 17:33
"
Sickness wrote:
"
Rinzlow wrote:

You are right. Poe trade should be shut down.

Neah, you would just piss off all the playerbase that isn't SSF or just enjoys hoarding, if you wouldn't place anything else in it's place.

Most of the players that trade became "addicted" to poe.trade, and some were even open enough to state that they would quit if poe.trade became inaccessibile.

Right now, trading and RNG crafting are more rewarding by several orders of magnitude, when comparing them with playing the game aka killing stuff with the risk of being killed yourself and only after looting...

That needs to be addressed ASAP, and it's a lot more important and impactful than trade improvements.

Right now, if you're not SSF/hoarding, the best way to "play" the game is in the safety of town/hideout where you buy/RNG craft better stuff than you would find 99.99% of time in maps. And for an ARPG where loot should be as important as character development - items are actually a part of that development - the state of affairs is really sad.

PS: This comes from a friendly n00b hoarder that still picks up and identifies most, if not all the rare drops...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Sep 25, 2017, 3:50:47 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

Neah, you would just piss off all the playerbase that isn't SSF or just enjoys hoarding, if you wouldn't place anything else in it's place.

Most of the players that trade became "addicted" to poe.trade, and some were even open enough to state that they would quit if poe.trade became inaccessibile.

Right now, trading and RNG crafting are more rewarding by several orders of magnitude, when comparing them with playing the game aka killing stuff with the risk of being killed yourself and only after looting...

That needs to be addressed ASAP, and it's a lot more important and impactful than trade improvements.

Right now, if you're not SSF/hoarding, the best way to "play" the game is in the safety of town/hideout where you buy/RNG craft better stuff than you would find 99.99% of time in maps. And for an ARPG where loot should be as important as character development - items are actually a part of that development - the state of affairs is really sad.

PS: This comes from a friendly n00b hoarder that still picks up and identifies most, if not all the rare drops...

This just sounds like a sheep story to me. I wonder if some of you AH hippies actually play the game. If you want to play the game to progress so much then why don't you just do so? I've played this game for over 10k+ hours and I've barely ever found an upgrade for my own build that I was playing on at the time. But this is fine, because I found so many good items for OTHER people. This is exactly how they want Poe to work.

I mean seriously, 'the best way to play is in your hideout' What makes the 'best' way to play? Since Poe.trade got fucked up I stopped pretty much trading besides selling what I find (Wich is still perfectly functional) and I still make hundreds of exalts every league without a problem. Could I make more standing in my hideout? Sure, but why is that the 'best' way to play.

Furthermore, introducing an AH would make your hideout still the best way to generate currency. All you have to do is just watch your screen for a cheap rare to pop up. Very few people are good at pricing rares, that's not gonna suddenly change at all.
We have sinned against RNGeezus, by trying to find a way around his merciless gaze.

For that hubris, the Creator punished us. We are to atone ourselves by enduring the daily pain, the daily load of "that player is AFK", "that player is not online", "<no response>".

We have sinned. We need to suffer. Chris wills it.
"
Miská wrote:
Furthermore, introducing an AH would make your hideout still the best way to generate currency. All you have to do is just watch your screen for a cheap rare to pop up. Very few people are good at pricing rares, that's not gonna suddenly change at all.

I disagree if a proper trade system with good filters is introduced into the game and without price fixing, people would quite fast learn how to price their items correctly.

There's even some pretty good AH models for people that don't know how to price items correctly they just don't set a buyout price and wait for bids the best bid is selected after some time and the items delivered

With a very large market and very low price variation, it would be really difficult to profit from flipping and actually playing the game and sell found stuff would be way more rewarding than flipping

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info