[3.0] Wand’s Guide to Wanding – Comprehensive Overview of Wanders

"
RaivokasMagma wrote:
I've made two wand builds in the past and they were most fun ranged builds I ever played. Other was Power Siphon and other was Kinetic Blast. How are these skills nowadays in practice? KB seems to be the go to wand skill, but I have soft spot for PS, because it's such a beautiful skill.

you can watch Cutedog's stream / youtube build guide vor VPS as the main skill. Feels very minmaxed and should beat KB clearspeedwise. KB is much more versatile as a skill though (he mainly runs sextanted shaped dunes/canyon), and easier to get going imo.
Is there any downside using Elemental Focus (Scion, with Thunderfists)? I don't have the Elementalist ascendency yet, so no ailments?

I am thinking getting a Tempest Binding over a 6L chest (using 5L Belly atm for life) because of the Frenzy charges and Onslaught on full would make my gameplay smoother and better.
"
juerk wrote:
@xmustard: you got like 22% total WED on your gear but 3 flat damage rolls. There's no way switching to any rare wand below 100ex would make any sense unless you change your gear.

doesn't matter. if i craft a perfect WED opal ring on PoB and add it to my build, its a fuckin huge damage boost......for both wands. and the rare wand still is lower dps. not by much, they're basically the same dps, but thats my whole point.

why spend upwards of 300 chaos for a rare wand, just use piscators. so literally the only way i see using a rare wand is worth it at all is if you have 50 ex to spend, and nothing else to buy.
I AM CONFUSED

PLEASE EXPLAIN

When we get dying sun, why do we use slower projectiles support gem on the barrage set up?

***Slower projectiles doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't other support gems make more sense, especially given specific passive nodes?***

°°°For example, the physical projectile support gem wouldn't that make more sense if you allocate the wand node that converts physical into lightning damage?

°°°Or wouldn't a Faster Projectiles support gem make more sense giving more dps since it would take less time for the projectile to reach opponent, plus it would enhance damage more?

°°°What about adding in the added cold damage gem support gem, instead? I can this being a valuable option if you are using priscators wand.

Please explain.

Build type: Pathfinder

Also, I have seen some variation in the gem set ups for CWDT. You use CWDT and immortal call. I have seen double CWDT+molten shell and cwdt+tempest shield+enfeeble.

Is immortal call specific to a certain body armour/version type?

I don't understand how you are getting 3-5 mil dps with this build. max DpS I have been able to get with barrage on this build on POB is like 1.5 mil...
Last edited by Silvok1 on Sep 9, 2017, 8:48:26 AM
slower proj is used on barrage because you should have point blank, thus you'll be face to face with the bosses to get max damage so the slower projectiles don't have a negative effect, and it gives you MORE damage multi which is much better than increased or added.

depends on what you're using though. i've been using added cold over slower proj for awhile but now that i have a better setup slower proj is showing to be slightly more dmg.

faster proj is not good, almost ever.
PPAD wouldn't be good either, just not enough phys dmg on the wand to be beneficial. even that passive that converts phys to lightning isn't good with a rare wand that doesn't have a fk ton of physical. there are better nodes even for the 1 point.
added cold for piscator's is great, slower proj possibly a bit better.

edit: i edited my thread after checking PoB again after obtaining my dying sun flask. 20/20 slower proj over 20/20 added cold gives me 40k more dmg. not much, but still a bit. just depends if you want the slower projectiles for 40k dmg or not

i'll personally probably just keep using added cold dmg. its slightly less dmg, but it doesn't have a drawback and it has a slightly lower mana multi
Last edited by xMustard on Sep 9, 2017, 9:44:35 AM
"
xMustard wrote:
"
juerk wrote:
@xmustard: you got like 22% total WED on your gear but 3 flat damage rolls. There's no way switching to any rare wand below 100ex would make any sense unless you change your gear.

doesn't matter. if i craft a perfect WED opal ring on PoB and add it to my build, its a fuckin huge damage boost......for both wands. and the rare wand still is lower dps. not by much, they're basically the same dps, but thats my whole point.

why spend upwards of 300 chaos for a rare wand, just use piscators. so literally the only way i see using a rare wand is worth it at all is if you have 50 ex to spend, and nothing else to buy.

Well, why spend 300c+ on opals or exalting jewels or buying 21/20 gems? People want to squeeze out more dmg/life/whatever out of their builds. And its not there aren't ways to make 300c or so relatively quickly.

Not even talking about guys who get things like perfect 4 stat jewels or +1 esh's mirror and things like that.

There are plenty of ways to approach the game / this build in particular in terms of currency investment and goals.

Well, this aside, what I was talking about was the breaking/transition point between a piscator's and a rare wand. It changes with good rings from 100 Ex to around 10 Ex for you. How is this not a major thing? Imo the difference is enormous...
Not sure about the crafting costs, may be even cheaper than that.

@Silvok1:
Slower proj is a "more" (*) multiplier instead of "increased" (+) from faster proj. PPAD is bad for non-pure-phys wands, because you are stacking flat ele dmg (phys is in lower one-digit% range). Pure phys wands are questionable, unless really really good. The reason for using it with dying sun is: GMP becomes useless with more baseproj. Without dying sun you get 0.78*(4base + 4 GMP proj), with dying sun however 0.74*(7 base + 4 GMP). Not worth it anymore, therefore SlowerProj instead.

Added cold is ok for some niche purposes, but ideally you want lightning pen, even with piscators. If you have trouble colouring, you can leave it in the setup.
"
chloris143 wrote:
Hi!
Can anyone check my character having a hard time killing boss for T6, T7 maps.
Thank you

First of all, get a Piscator's Vigil. It will beat your current wand by a tonne. Master craft WED on your belt. Get a Wise Oak and make sure that lightning resist is your highest res, replace your hybrid flask with this. Also get a diamond flask, replace your mana flask with this. Upgrade your amulet to an int base amulet with crit multi, life, and either flat lightning / crit chance, and master craft the other (light / chance). Get life on your rings and master craft flat lightning on them. Chance bandit to Alira. Finish your labs (merciless / uber). There are also multiple tree changes you can do. Here is PoB with all these changes (including the tree change) https://pastebin.com/p3rJAm19. Other than that, gem levels and character levels will make all the difference.

"
camrade77 wrote:
I watched the video and didn't understand how u got ice icicles from the ground. What is that - skill or mt?

It's a Herald of Ice MTX.

"
datbabykilla wrote:
Could you explain why you prefer traveling up through heart of oak to get to VP? I mean instead of going by Acro and heading left. The acro way takes you by Revenge of the Hunted as well, which seems very strong for 3 points.

I mean is heart of Oak worth it over say 2 5% life nodes? You don't get any use out of the life regen either.

Also, any particular reason youre not a fan of acro?

Ok, so first, the reason I path through Heart of Oak is because of the projectile damage / speed (Ballistic Mastery). The 4% movement speed is nice, as well as the 36% chance to avoid stun. The 10 int node is actually useful also.
If you want, you can get Revenge of the Hunter for 4 points, I actually do this in my personal tree.
I have nothing against Acro, I just don't feel like it's needed for me personally. You can easily get this build to 100 without Acro and good play. If you feel like you're dying a lot, pick up Acro, it's definitely good for this build.
IGN: Desreien / Wand / Science
#1 Wander Guide: 1979794
Quick question, when you switch to KB.. what did you use for single target? did you link barrage with gmp? just curious thanks! awesome guide!
"
juerk wrote:
Well, why spend 300c+ on opals or exalting jewels or buying 21/20 gems? People want to squeeze out more dmg/life/whatever out of their builds. And its not there aren't ways to make 300c or so relatively quickly.

Not even talking about guys who get things like perfect 4 stat jewels or +1 esh's mirror and things like that.

There are plenty of ways to approach the game / this build in particular in terms of currency investment and goals.

Well, this aside, what I was talking about was the breaking/transition point between a piscator's and a rare wand. It changes with good rings from 100 Ex to around 10 Ex for you. How is this not a major thing? Imo the difference is enormous...
Not sure about the crafting costs, may be even cheaper than that.

@Silvok1:
Slower proj is a "more" (*) multiplier instead of "increased" (+) from faster proj. PPAD is bad for non-pure-phys wands, because you are stacking flat ele dmg (phys is in lower one-digit% range). Pure phys wands are questionable, unless really really good. The reason for using it with dying sun is: GMP becomes useless with more baseproj. Without dying sun you get 0.78*(4base + 4 GMP proj), with dying sun however 0.74*(7 base + 4 GMP). Not worth it anymore, therefore SlowerProj instead.

Added cold is ok for some niche purposes, but ideally you want lightning pen, even with piscators. If you have trouble colouring, you can leave it in the setup.

my point is, why spend 300c on a wand that is not giving you basically any more added damage. to get more dmg out of a rare wand you'd need to spend 1000+ chaos. that is, if you trust PoB numbers at all (they do seem to be pretty accurate).

if you're totally min maxing, my point is i could spend the 300c on better jewelry instead of a rare wand, and get WAY more returns out of the currency spent.

you're talking about the breaking point between piscators and a rare wand, and so am i. and im saying this wand im going to craft will be worth about 300c and won't give me any added damage. you said to change my jewelry to get WED which is better for rare wand. fact is great jewelry is better for both wands, and the rare still doesn't surpass my piscator's.
trust me, it doesn't change from 100 ex to 10 ex jewelry. my piscator's still beats a 300c wand. if you want a rare wand to give you more dmg then you're looking at a way higher investment for less than 10% more dps.

that is my entire point. rare wands are overrated for wanders by a mile. if you want to get a mirrored wand, ya it'll be the greatest of all greats.

for shits and giggles on PoB i crafted the absolute best 6 t1 max roll imbued wand. know what the difference is? 28.7% increased DPS. my current setup goes from 1,224,541 dps to 1,576,231 dps.
changing jewelry at this point to the ABSOLUTE BEST opal rings you can get changes the difference to 35% more dps. about 600k at that point.

so for more shits and giggles i used the best wand you can get on poe.trade right now, which is selling for 37 exalts (1400-1500c) @ 303 edps. know what the difference is? 10.2% dps. difference of 124,651 dps. for 1450ish chaos.

piscator's is by far and large the best value for wanders. hands down.
Last edited by xMustard on Sep 9, 2017, 11:47:08 AM
"
piscator's is by far and large the best value for wanders. hands down

Which I think he didn't say it was, he just said that after some point in your upgrades, it's gonna be cheaper to upgrade from a culling strike piscator's to a decent rare wand than anything else

PoB shows me losing 300k shaper dps from my soso rare wand to an almost max rolls culling strike piscator or a max roll normal piscator, which imo is a lot

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info