[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

"
Wolverine67 wrote:
Hey its me again! I really love build and enjoy playing it. I play it on xb, so I little adjust to my play style. Wanted to ask something. When we get 40% phys to cold glacial cascade convert enchant + 60% glacial itself, that means we are fully converted? Does the shaper stats %phys as extra give bonus to us, or we have to change to %elem as extra?

The phys as extra rolls still work even if your damage is fully converted to elemental.

In the same way that hatred does.
Gonna try and migrate my FB/GC Hiero into this build but this note is under the main Spell totem gems section for a Hierophant regarding the *Cold Penetration Gem has me confused.

*NOTE: This assumes you have 100% Phys to Cold conversion from Hrimsorrow, a helmet enchant, Watcher's Eye, or The Long Winter Jewels.

But the gem section doesn't really make any mention of Cold Conversation being mandatory. Is this mandatory for a Hiero? Just pricing out, Watcher's eye easily 2ex+, and decent helms with glacial conversion, life and pseudo res are easily 3ex+ with very few listed that I could see.

Is there a sub optimal, but strongly viable alternative if 100% cold conversion is mandatory?

Was thinking about getting Helm enchant or Water's Eye + 3 Long Winters (that's 100% right)

I know Hrims are cheap, but that's sacrificing a lot of stats vs. any decent pair of rare gloves.
Last edited by setcamper on Mar 27, 2018, 3:03:21 PM
"
setcamper wrote:
Gonna try and migrate my FB/GC Hiero into this build but this note is under the main Spell totem gems section for a Hierophant regarding the *Cold Penetration Gem has me confused.

*NOTE: This assumes you have 100% Phys to Cold conversion from Hrimsorrow, a helmet enchant, Watcher's Eye, or The Long Winter Jewels.

But the gem section doesn't really make any mention of Cold Conversation being mandatory. Is this mandatory for a Hiero? Just pricing out, Watcher's eye easily 2ex+, and decent helms with glacial conversion, life and pseudo res are easily 3ex+ with very few listed that I could see.

Is there a sub optimal, but strongly viable alternative if 100% cold conversion is mandatory?

Was thinking about getting Helm enchant or Water's Eye + 3 Long Winters (that's 100% right)

I know Hrims are cheap, but that's sacrificing a lot of stats vs. any decent pair of rare gloves.

You get 60% conversion from the GC gem itself, which means you need 40% from other sources to get complete conversion. 2 long winters does the job on its own. Hat enchant does the job on its own. Hatred watcher's eye does the job on its own. Pick the solution that's best for you, but you only need 40% on top of the gem itself.

As for whether it is mandatory, not really, no. If you can get your damage to be mostly cold, it makes the cold penetration support really good. There's some other sources of scaling that like your damage to be elemental as well, but they're not a huge deal.

For me, I only gain 3% damage from getting full conversion from the hat enchant. It would be more if I had ele as chaos or ele pen on my shaper weapons, but I don't. Try it out in PoB yourself with the gear you end up with.
"
setcamper wrote:

you. an only have 2 long winter jewels.
"

You get 60% conversion from the GC gem itself, which means you need 40% from other sources to get complete conversion. 2 long winters does the job on its own. Hat enchant does the job on its own. Hatred watcher's eye does the job on its own. Pick the solution that's best for you, but you only need 40% on top of the gem itself.

As for whether it is mandatory, not really, no. If you can get your damage to be mostly cold, it makes the cold penetration support really good. There's some other sources of scaling that like your damage to be elemental as well, but they're not a huge deal.

For me, I only gain 3% damage from getting full conversion from the hat enchant. It would be more if I had ele as chaos or ele pen on my shaper weapons, but I don't. Try it out in PoB yourself with the gear you end up with.

I see, that makes sense.

I have another dumb question. Why is "Gain #% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire/Lightning Damage" interchangeable with Cold Damage [for example, OP's mace in his Hierophant Uber Elder Kill item list]?

Don't we only want cold damage because of Cold Pen gem? I didn't read all that carefully but I thought the whole point was trying to convert physical damage into cold.
"
setcamper wrote:
"

I see, that makes sense.

I have another dumb question. Why is "Gain #% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire/Lightning Damage" interchangeable with Cold Damage [for example, OP's mace in his Hierophant Uber Elder Kill item list]?

Don't we only want cold damage because of Cold Pen gem? I didn't read all that carefully but I thought the whole point was trying to convert physical damage into cold.

basically when you are gaining more then one element of extra damage the elemental damage as extra chaos damage scales better than just flst cold. but you need a fee instences of phys as extra element for it to be a better choice. (basically you b
need multiple ex's worth of weapons for this to have a good effect.
"
setcamper wrote:
I see, that makes sense.

Cold pen is a good gem, but it isn't so good that you NEED to build around it. Shaper weapons offer a ridiculous amount of extra damage, and they are often necessarily mixed element, especially the really good ones.

If too large a chunk of your damage ends up not being cold, all you do is swap cold pen for a different support.

With the conversion hat enchant, only 62% of my damage is cold, as a result, cold pen isn't worth using for me, so I simply swapped it for a different gem:
My current setup:

I'm running kikazaru's with self-flag and a 58% spell dmg clear mind. Seems to be pretty good so far, heiro. Dropped that bad boy last night on my first elder kill for the league so far, is it worth trying to build around or just sell for the monies?

"

Cold pen is a good gem, but it isn't so good that you NEED to build around it. Shaper weapons offer a ridiculous amount of extra damage, and they are often necessarily mixed element, especially the really good ones.

If too large a chunk of your damage ends up not being cold, all you do is swap cold pen for a different support.

With the conversion hat enchant, only 62% of my damage is cold, as a result, cold pen isn't worth using for me, so I simply swapped it for a different gem:

Ahhh, that makes sense. So complicated, but I guess that's why Path of Building is so important to play with your own stuff. Need to learn how to use it.
"
BdXtcvfSnv wrote:
I'm running kikazaru's with self-flag and a 58% spell dmg clear mind. Seems to be pretty good so far, heiro. Dropped that bad boy last night on my first elder kill for the league so far, is it worth trying to build around or just sell for the monies?

I wouldn't run hatred with kikazarus, too much of a survival hit to reserve the mana, IMHO. If you swap to essence worm and flasking off curses then that would be fine, of course. With this approach you would break even damage-wise at 7 curses self-flag, 10 if one of them is enfeeble (which it probably is).

That said, I'd like to point out that running a unique hat AND unique boots (nice enchant by the way, that one is only 1.24% chance, I gave up trying to farm it) makes fixing resists with kikas an incredible pain. I highly recommend swapping the starkonja for something else. A rare, or if you can afford gg abyss jewels and don't mind losing the 2 gem sockets, a 2 socket lightpoacher.

Having resist rolls on your weapons is a big damage hit. You'd gain 11.5% damage just from fixing those to crit multi. If swapping away from kikas helped you fix that, it would be well worth it. But you can also fix it while keeping the kikas. Starkonja isn't that great anyway. If you got a rare hat and a better gloves you might also make room for yourself to get a better amulet, instead of being glued to those big resist numbers on that one.

Speaking of which, even with those weapon enchants, you don't have enough resists. With dual kikazaru you need 90 resist all in hideout to be capped under dual curse (which will be up on you most of the time). You can't rely on endurance charges to make up the difference, because you're running cwdt immortal call (also our endurance charge generation isn't that reliable anyway).

Yet another aside, your route into witch uses 1 more point than it needs to.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info