I still feel like HP builds are weak...

"
The_Gurk wrote:
The problem imo is not life builds, it's the damage spikes. I played life builds even during ES meta, it was viable asw well.

Take my current char for instance. I'm rocking 6.4k life atm (lvl 82 only), pretty low armor and use cyclone. No VP but pretty high leech due to slayer. What I am most afraid of is being locked in a cyclone and not being able to dodge/avoid a dmg spike.

Even though I have taken as many life nodes as plausible I am still scared shitless of being 1-shoted. Last league, I got 1 shoted with my high HP kaoms RF toon.

Life is not the problem, dmg spikes are...

I agree, spike damage can really be "out there". Trick is to kill monsters before they touch you. There's no tanking in poe, except instant leech. You survive by killing monsters before they touch you. Last time I played a Slayer I did that poison+bleed EQ (RIP EQ ✞), 7k HP. With that build, first monster that was dangerous was Core Malachai. Mind you, that was a level 100 character with fucking insane gear. Since you're not gonna one shot bosses anymore, I would use totems, Decoy is 2nd best skill in poe after Shield Charge. You probably already use Warchief in your setup.

P.S. Last league I also played life-based RF. Felt like squishy fuck compared to every life-based Zerker I ever played, honestly. Super squishy compared to the immortal ES-based RF too. It was the only build I ever played to struggle with Abaxoth, I had to run away from him and portal to town on couple occasions. With every other build he's a complete joke. Loved RF anyway, tho.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Aug 23, 2017, 4:08:59 AM
I'd just say that people in general don't know how to build their defense. So they go all HP and then complain that mobs are still shooting them down - usually multiple fast hits in less than 1 second.

To use rare armor with high AR and/or EV is in many cases much better option than to use any of unique chests.

MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
"
LowBudget780 wrote:

"All it took was a 450pdps crit sword." Just checked poe.trade Harbinger and there is currently only of of those for sale and it's 60ex lol

You mean this sword - https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Hiltless?
Perfect rolls have up to 445 PDPS and 7.5 crit. And cost 10 chaos.

Though i'd rather used https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Terminus_Est
Yes, it has only 390 pDPS with good rolls, but it has incredibly high attack speed and crit chance (that benefits flat damage and crit multiplier from abyssus), also it has 10% movespeed and gives 100% frenzy charge uptime.

Sadly, GGG doesnt want player to use rare pDPS weapon, especially 2-handers. If you want to play a build with 2-handed weapon, you always must consider some unique for it (except you already got a superior rare item somehow - which literally never happens).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Filousov wrote:
I'd just say that people in general don't know how to build their defense. So they go all HP and then complain that mobs are still shooting them down - usually multiple fast hits in less than 1 second.

To use rare armor with high AR and/or EV is in many cases much better option than to use any of unique chests.

depends, newer players get overwhelmed by zero defences because they are sloppy with potions which is what the regular players use to cover the regular damage from trash, experienced players just get spiked and need the hp to stay above the 1 shot threshold, i've already taken hits on my RF character this league that would flat one shot my raider, on a blue tier 9 (5.5k on 10k armor) like yeah it was probably a crit, but chances are your gonna get crit some time or other.

"
Filousov wrote:

FALSE.

High armor ain't going to help you with those one-shot high damage hits, and evasion is a gamble that you eventually lose.

The only trustworthy alternative to hps is mitigation and max resists. You can layer it with stacking or even layers of different defenses, but only a high effective life/ES pool and mitigation will save you from one-shots.
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
"
Filousov wrote:

FALSE.

High armor ain't going to help you with those one-shot high damage hits, and evasion is a gamble that you eventually lose.

The only trustworthy alternative to hps is mitigation and max resists. You can layer it with stacking or even layers of different defenses, but only a high effective life/ES pool and mitigation will save you from one-shots.

I dunno, I agree with Filousov tbh, I have many builds using rare chests and they virtually never get 1 shot. Since kaoms was nerfed and belly was added 100% of my life builds have chosen to use a different chest armour, either a rare or a lightning coil, and I dont rly think theres many 1 shots in the game. It was basically down to volatile blood and DD that might 1 shot you once or twice a year.

I not rly sure where ppl are going wrong with their builds that they think theres lots of 1 shots, I dont see that they rly exist. I have a suspicion many people are getting bursted down by rapid successions of either phys or hybrid phys+ele hits, which would be down to a lack of phys mitigation and general avoidance defenses.
"
The_Gurk wrote:
It is kind of sad that so few unique armors are viable for HC play. I feel pretty cornered into going belly. On the other hand, I am neither a berserker not a VP char...

I feel pretty cornered into playing srs for HC or go back to standard, I can't see any attack build that have the DPS and defensive mechanics to be viable doing T15+ 8 mods or twins...
which is what the game is asking sadly.

This game became path of DPS and defensive doesn't matter anymore.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
"
Filousov wrote:

FALSE.

I dunno, I agree with Filousov tbh, I have many builds using rare chests and they virtually never get 1 shot. Since kaoms was nerfed and belly was added 100% of my life builds have chosen to use a different chest armour, either a rare or a lightning coil, and I dont rly think theres many 1 shots in the game. It was basically down to volatile blood and DD that might 1 shot you once or twice a year.

I not rly sure where ppl are going wrong with their builds that they think theres lots of 1 shots, I dont see that they rly exist. I have a suspicion many people are getting bursted down by rapid successions of either phys or hybrid phys+ele hits, which would be down to a lack of phys mitigation and general avoidance defenses.

And what is your DPS ?? Maybe the reason you don't get one shot is you insta kill everything and when anything hit you you just die ?
"
EzBreesy wrote:

And what is your DPS ?? Maybe the reason you don't get one shot is you insta kill everything and when anything hit you you just die ?

no, trust me thats not the case. Asking what my dps is isnt rly a valid question cause Im not talking about 1 build, Ive played this game for over 12k hours, Im saying my experience of every single properly defended endgame character Ive made in the last say 3 years tells me that one shots are extremely rare, outside of slams that you are supposed to avoid on all characters and the occasional vol blood/DD getting you once or twice per year they essentially dont exist.

Sometimes I play characters with shit defenses, and I know theyre shit at the theory stage before Ive even made the character, those characters can rip extremely quickly in some particularly horrible situations, but even then the amount of times its a legit 1 shot is rare. None the less those builds expect to die because they are badly defended, maybe theyre mf characters, maybe theyre speed clearers who just need to farm lowball/mid maps relatively fast with less than 10 chaos spent on gear, whatever the case may be.

"
EzBreesy wrote:
"
The_Gurk wrote:
It is kind of sad that so few unique armors are viable for HC play. I feel pretty cornered into going belly. On the other hand, I am neither a berserker not a VP char...

I feel pretty cornered into playing srs for HC or go back to standard, I can't see any attack build that have the DPS and defensive mechanics to be viable doing T15+ 8 mods or twins...
which is what the game is asking sadly.

This game became path of DPS and defensive doesn't matter anymore.

why would you think the game is asking you to do t15+ 8 mod maps? Virtually no one exclusively plays t15+ 8 mod maps, or even plays them as their main thing. Whats the reward that is pushing you into doing that? It doesnt make sense for xp, isnt required for map sustain, doesnt even really make sense for getting items. Most people simply play alched red tier maps from t11 to t15, a lot of the ladder pushers literally just play t10/t11/t12 maps alched.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info