[3.8] Death’s Oath Occultist - Death Whisperer(CI) Updated regularly

I just dusted off my version of this build. Updated the passive tree for the changes, swapped spreading rot for another gem.

I'm using blight, which feels much more powerful than before, though I don't see anything in the patch notes. I optimized mana a bit so I can continuously channel blight. It also doesn't look like PoB handles blight fully.

I am a bit disappointed that death aura does not feel any stronger than before, though it's still great for map clearing. PoB shows about the same damage as I had before.

I threw in soulrend on a totem, which seems to be pretty good, even at mid gem levels.

The net affect of all this seems to be significantly faster boss kills. I tried a few that were problematic in the past and find that I can kill them faster now while kiting (due to soulrend, I guess), but can also facetank some now with blight since they die faster.
Build got stale without me innovating new things :D but new chaos spells and ES changes pushed me to doing it again. This time I am going to find comfortable way to kill Uber Elder. :)
"
shrunn57 wrote:
I just dusted off my version of this build. Updated the passive tree for the changes, swapped spreading rot for another gem.

I'm using blight, which feels much more powerful than before, though I don't see anything in the patch notes. I optimized mana a bit so I can continuously channel blight. It also doesn't look like PoB handles blight fully.

I am a bit disappointed that death aura does not feel any stronger than before, though it's still great for map clearing. PoB shows about the same damage as I had before.

I threw in soulrend on a totem, which seems to be pretty good, even at mid gem levels.

The net affect of all this seems to be significantly faster boss kills. I tried a few that were problematic in the past and find that I can kill them faster now while kiting (due to soulrend, I guess), but can also facetank some now with blight since they die faster.

I plan to drop blasphemy for a Bane - Despair (temp chains) setup, I've been very impressed by the damage so far, plus it frees up mana reserve for other auras. I've also been really enjoying soul rend, it's a nice cast and go skill (about mid way through a4 so haven't tried unleash yet but soon)
I also would suggest keeping blight, but definitely keep it linked with Infused channeling, this will give you an extra 10% more damage for chaos skills

"
PovilasMat wrote:
Build got stale without me innovating new things :D but new chaos spells and ES changes pushed me to doing it again. This time I am going to find comfortable way to kill Uber Elder. :)

Good luck on your Uber Elder kill! I'm sure you'll find a way with ease this league. Now I just need to find a way to create more time in a day so you don't beat me to it =D
Ran a few quick T10s in standard with this, build felt the same in terms of clear. I prefer to run Profane Bloom over Withering Presence just for the explosions - helps clear faster, gets rid of stragglers and I don't think you really need the Chaos DoT Multi from that node. Also being able to apply curses onto Hexproof mobs is really quality of life for higher tier maps. Additionally the new Malevolence aura can help cover the loss of the DOT Multi although I don't think you really need it (except maybe on bosses). The numbers on Path of Building says I reach up to ~180k DoT non-Shaper DPS with it [+a Withfire Brew and 15 Wither stacks] versus 138k without. I think running Grace if enough mana is available is much more preferable for safety.

Bane seems very good although it'd change the playstyle a bit where you need to cast it. I prefer the "braindead" playstyle of run and see everything die. It also lets, in my case, you drop the Herteic's veil for a higher ES helm with preferably a "-9% to Chaos resist" Hubris Circlet.

Those who want to check the tree/whatever, it's under my Zatanna_Zatara character.
Last edited by おねえちゃん on Mar 10, 2019, 10:32:13 PM
"
Ran a few quick T10s in standard with this, build felt the same in terms of clear. I prefer to run Profane Bloom over Withering Presence just for the explosions - helps clear faster, gets rid of stragglers and I don't think you really need the Chaos DoT Multi from that node. Also being able to apply curses onto Hexproof mobs is really quality of life for higher tier maps. Additionally the new Malevolence aura can help cover the loss of the DOT Multi although I don't think you really need it (except maybe on bosses). The numbers on Path of Building says I reach up to ~180k DoT non-Shaper DPS with it [+a Withfire Brew and 15 Wither stacks] versus 138k without. I think running Grace if enough mana is available is much more preferable for safety.

Bane seems very good although it'd change the playstyle a bit where you need to cast it. I prefer the "braindead" playstyle of run and see everything die. It also lets, in my case, you drop the Herteic's veil for a higher ES helm with preferably a "-9% to Chaos resist" Hubris Circlet.

Those who want to check the tree/whatever, it's under my Zatanna_Zatara character.

I'll be honest I drop Heretic's veil a while back with a decent es helm with -9 chaos res.
Hexproof is such a rare mod it feels unneeded to go Profane bloom. Most things are dying to the dot alone for me but I would suggest profane/void beacon over malediction, however I really think the 25% chaos multi you get is far superior, the wither aura is more of a bonus. Now if you're going for stacking curses yes Malediction is the way to go, however I ultimately only plan on having bane-despair as the curse at the moment. ---- However you're more than welcome to suit the guide to your needs =)
Been working my way up this build after having played the trickster variant in 3.5 (or 3.4? not sure anymore).

Having most of the chaos and dot nodes already, working on the ES nodes now to go CI in a couple of levels.

Currently leveling with bane with a 2 curse setup + increased area in just a 4 link and everything just melts ... with rares taking a second or 1.5 compared to near instant death for everything else.

Running a totem with soulrend, which basically is a life saver starting memory nodes.

Thinking I will keep the bane, and go for a bane in 6L staff together with a death's oath, we'll see.

Edit: put my build into pathofbuilding and stuck in a death's oath, with same lvl gems as my 4L bane. ... about 10% less DPS :/
Last edited by Dofolo on Mar 11, 2019, 4:32:56 AM
"
Dofolo wrote:
Been working my way up this build after having played the trickster variant in 3.5 (or 3.4? not sure anymore).

Having most of the chaos and dot nodes already, working on the ES nodes now to go CI in a couple of levels.

Currently leveling with bane with a 2 curse setup + increased area in just a 4 link and everything just melts ... with rares taking a second or 1.5 compared to near instant death for everything else.

Running a totem with soulrend, which basically is a life saver starting memory nodes.

Thinking I will keep the bane, and go for a bane in 6L staff together with a death's oath, we'll see.

Edit: put my build into pathofbuilding and stuck in a death's oath, with same lvl gems as my 4L bane. ... about 10% less DPS :/

You cannot really compare two different spells dps in this game.
"

I'll be honest I drop Heretic's veil a while back with a decent es helm with -9 chaos res.
Hexproof is such a rare mod it feels unneeded to go Profane bloom. Most things are dying to the dot alone for me but I would suggest profane/void beacon over malediction, however I really think the 25% chaos multi you get is far superior, the wither aura is more of a bonus. Now if you're going for stacking curses yes Malediction is the way to go, however I ultimately only plan on having bane-despair as the curse at the moment. ---- However you're more than welcome to suit the guide to your needs =)

Yea, for me personally, I enjoy the curse playstyle a lot more. The defensive layers suit me better. I don't go the full Malediction route but take a combination of Void Beacon and Profane Bloom. Regarding Hexproof, maybe it was just my Delves but I always kept running into it though Delve itself has crazy varying mods (cannot be slow, lowered curse effectiveness, etc.) that messes with you. I'll probably test run some more stuff once Synthesis ends.
As death oath is good for most map clear.
Was thinking about running staff with bligth and CWC soulrend for those tougher enemys, since soulrend need to reaply often it should get an decent cast speed from the CWC at least often enough to keep the dot up constant. And bligth for the wither debuff and some damage ofc.
"
I also would suggest keeping blight, but definitely keep it linked with Infused channeling, this will give you an extra 10% more damage for chaos skills

Thanks for this. Looks like a nice change to drop efficacy for infused chan. Now to go see if anyone is selling those yet at decent level.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info