PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

Solo Self-Found Manmode 1 Week Race (March 3rd Event)

Stemming from the fact that I don't want to play a Lightning Arrow character for 5.5 days of a 1 week race, a few friends and I came up with the idea that we would run a competition between us for leveling solo self-found on melee strict characters.

Why do this? Nobody I know has a high level, alive, melee based character on HC. This is largely based on the fact that there is no reason to play melee over a ranged build for any class. With GGG promising melee buffs, I think it will be great to have a melee based character already leveled when the time comes. We would also be showing the developers what is currently possible with melee, as I'm sure they already have plenty of data on the popular ranged builds.

I am presenting this idea to the community, so you guys can participate, and in turn learn what is possible within the melee domain. You will likely be within some of the level based point brackets by the end of the race, and since it is solo melee self-found, you can use all the ranged gear you find for your current HC characters!

Rules:
- You cannot use spells or abilities that are not labeled melee and do damage (as well as a few exceptions listed below)
- You cannot trade with other players
- You cannot party with anyone besides yourself (continued in next rule)
- You are able to multibox characters for the sole purpose of obtaining gems from other class' quest rewards. Multiboxed characters cannot participate in combat. Item trades are not allowed between accounts. This is to allow spec diversity.
- You can play as much as you want in order to be the highest you can be on the ladder. This is a friendly competition, not a timed one.
- You should use the world 'SMASH' in your name if you want people to know your character abides by the rules in this thread. For instance, I wanted to name my character FluffyKittenSMASH

Skills allowed:
Anger
Cleave
Decoy Totem
Determination
Devouring Totem
Enduring Cry
Glacial Hammer
Ground Slam
Heavy Strike
Immortal Call
Infernal Blow
Leap Slam
Lightning Strike
Punishment
Rejuvenation Totem
Shield Charge
Sweep
Vitality
Warlord's Mark
Blood Rage
Double Strike
Dual Strike
Elemental Hit (with Melee only)
Flicker Strike
Freeze Mine
Frenzy
Grace
Haste
Hatred
Projectile Weakness
Puncture
Temporal Chains
Viper Strike
Whirling Blades
Clarity
Conductivity
Critical Weakness
Discipline
Elemental Weakness
Enfeeble
Flammability
Frostbite
Purity
Vulnerability
Wrath

Skills not allowed:
Autoattack with Bows
Autoattack with Wands
Dominating Blow (this ability results in a summoner if used correctly)
Flame Totem
Molten Shell
Shockwave Totem
Bear Trap
Burning Arrow (except for getting to a1 normal town)
Detonate Dead
Ethereal Knives
Explosive Arrow
Fire Trap
Ice Shot
Lightning Arrow
Poison Arrow
Rain of Arrows
Split Arrow
Arc
Arctic Breath
Cold Snap
Conversion Trap
Discharge
Fireball (except for getting to a1 normal town)
Firestorm
Freezing Pulse
Frost Wall
Ice Nova
Ice Spear
Lightning Warp
Power Siphon
Raise Spectre
Raise Zombie
Righteous Fire
Shock Nova
Spark
Summon Skeletons
Tempest Shield

Have fun! Feel free to post your build ideas and thoughts. I will be posting mine AFTER the race :)

TLDR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6emR_381B30
Last edited by Krippers on Feb 25, 2013, 7:00:12 PM
do it
ign: Eshi or EshEleCleave
*makes a whiny child voice* "But moooooom! Ground Slam isn't true melee!"

Seriously though sounds like a decent challenge (though going Melee shouldn't have to be considered a challenge, heh.) I don't know if I'll actually do this though, because I'm more likely to do something even dumber.

"
Burning Arrow (except for getting to a1 normal town)
Fireball (except for getting to a1 normal town)
Force them to do the Hillock challenge
This type of sub-competition is cool if you want to try it rather than the proper event. As long as you're having fun, I don't mind which way you play :)

The data from dedicated melee play will be useful for us when shaping the melee changes we're making. Also, information on how people play one week events (whether by the normal rules or by trying things like this) will help shape how subsequent seasons are run.

Whichever way you play, good luck with the race!

Btw there will be balance changes made during the middle of the race. Sorry about that! I'd expect Fire Trap and Poison Arrow to not be quite as powerful at low levels, but still good skills. Other changes may be announced before they happen.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Great idea, I think the outcome will be very interesting.
Procurement  : The Ultimate Exile's Companion!
Forum Thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172710/page/1
Github : https://github.com/Stickymaddness/Procurement/
Really like this idea. Kudos to Rhox and Krippers for adding a little spice to the races. Little worried about access to gem variety without trading, but should work out in end. Will probably try this.
One week races sound awful, but this would make it fun because I wouldn't feel like I need to play for 16 hours per day every day. Still not sure If I'll participate but if I do I'll be doing this.
Can we use spell totem with curses? I don't see it on the list anywhere .
Actually if I decide to do the one week race (I don't be doing much of it) I've decided maybe I could do this challenge, but in addition only pick up strength nodes on the passive tree (besides the forced one of the starting nodes) and only using red gems and sockets, just to see if that's even possible.
Last edited by VolcanoElixir on Feb 25, 2013, 7:07:29 PM
Saw this, I will participate if the last lvl for RP will be something achievable for solo like... lvl 55~ ?!

I will obey these unofficial rules since there aren't any new things implemented yet (attrition , iron league, melee only etc).

SMASH

I hope I will find brumblejack and make a thorns build. Or facebreaker!
I might risk more with item rarity.
Last edited by wasabisamurai on Feb 25, 2013, 7:12:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info