Audio Suggestions.

-Haunted Forest stuff is planned, this is REALLY low priority as its considered polish. But Russell will be adding animation loops to many static models. This means I can really fill out the ambience e.g. a tree model in the forest can have randomised bird sounds and wind....

Great. But you should be wary and make it optional, cause it could produce halts and lags. I have pretty good pc and stil get a hick ups and I hear fan on my graphics card but it could be information flow flaw, but it would be a shame fore one to miss your game because of the slower performance
Last edited by miasma on Jul 18, 2012, 1:56:39 PM
This shouldn't create any performance issues. All these environmental sounds will be low priority, they will only be playing when the character isn't doing much.

It will be thoroughly tested before patching it anyway. The PC I'm using for work is VERY low end, so if it doesn't create any problems on this it should be alright.
The audio guy.
Are you gonna add surround sound?

5.1 would be fine. If you can do 7.1 that would be cooler but really just having surround sound in a video game is awesome. I play as a bow ranger and the sound doesn't ever tell me where the enemies are. I should mention that my speakers are not that good right now, but I plan on buying high end 7.1 surround sound headphones with a microphone to play this game with the best sound and have party chat.

I was gonna use skype for chatting, but adding an in game headset voice chat connection would be great.

Do you plan on adding an in game voice chat connection?

I like most of the suggestions, but I don't think arrows should be louder. Arrows are suppose to sound soft when hitting flesh. I attack extremely fast and critical a lot and the sound of my arrows critical hits are very powerful. My speakers are weak and it sounds powerful enough.
Surround sound would be more of a tech issue, I would have to talk to the programmer guys about that being a viable option!

As for in game voice chat, as far as I know we have no plans to add this.

The audio guy.
Forgive me for not reading all the posts, as far as suggestions go though, I have a small one.
If and when voice acting comes, could we get an "out of mana" callout? Personally I'll admit I'm too used from the diablo series to hear when I can't cast. With minions on screen and projectiles going back and forth, it's sometimes hard for me to realize right off the bat that my casts aren't firing.
It's by no means a major thing, but it would be nice to have, since usually your attention is elsewhere and I found myself button-tapping once or twice only to realize "oh, I'm actually OoM"
:) its on our list for all characters.
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
:) its on our list for all characters.

Hope you are joking Andrew... Dunno man, how come you can be serious with that reply, really weird. This was suggested in Suggestion section and mainly rejected by majority, you can guess its reasons. You guys should spend your precious time for other much much more important thing rather than this very unnecessary and dumbed-down indicator casualized crap feature, i mean it.

I'm not the guy to direct you and such but come on i just couldn't hold my breath anymore against this nonsense.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
We are recording dialogue for all characters anyway, spending an extra half hour on small comments doesn't waste anyone's time.

Audio feedback for player actions is fairly important, it may not appeal to everyone but will to some.

If we get overwhelming player feedback that people hate it (after its implemented) we would look at having an option to turn character comments off.
The audio guy.
I see, regardless of anything it "must" need an option to turn it off, if it ever implemented, i would never wanna hear a man warns me every time when my mana depleted, lol.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
Re: OOM I think Andrew's given the important answer which is that everyone is not the same - I'm not an amazing legendary D2 player and I like the convenience of audio indicators.

To NOT have them would be as ridiculous to me as having them seems to be for you. So perhaps having the option to turn them off would be the best compromise.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info