Harbinger language/symbol translation

"
Toshis8 wrote:
Nice work Stefouch. I will have more free time next week, will help on it.
[...]
Btw, those higher resolution blueish symbols look very nice, wonder if we could ask GGG to release all symbols in this fashion

Thanks! Do not hesitate to share the link on your first post, like this everyone could find the google doc easily:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zDCGrZ2ZYi6-ljZ0nGu-TX2IHlui4CDtWooD8zxksI0/edit?usp=sharing

About the symbols, I also wish that GGG could release all of them in HQ, for the ease of life, but probably it's part of the game to find them all.
Brainstorming:
IF the two-downward facing arrows above the 4 dots indeed does stand for Kitava and the major/minor gods below him...

This looks like it might be flavor text revealing the history of a power returning to Wraeclast, talking about the imprisoning of the 'gods' of the land. Perhaps the defeat of the beast and release of the pantheon was the reason for the harbingers return at this point in time. It's possible the pantheon and "mortal" minions may have revolted against these forces that the harbingers are preceeding.

Or I could be way off, but such is the nature of speculation and brainstorming ;)

Spiral arms: Reduced? (combined with time, reduced duration?)
Sword slashing down to the right with 3 lines behind the blade: attack speed? revolt, attack
Slash through 3 lines: Stop movement? Stun? Freeze? Imprison?
Three sets of inclining lines: (Righteous part of RF, worshippers, pray)

Thoughts on:
the mask:
Reduced time to brutality? Calamity, destruction? (The end is near!)
'gods' weakened direction (gods lack direction? or cannot move)

the Shield:
Reduced time cursed?
'gods' minions attack stopped?

"
Saltygames wrote:
[Removed by Support]

I consider it very interesting.
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
Last edited by Stacey_GGG on Aug 11, 2017, 8:21:06 PM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
"
Strandedmoon wrote:
Wow, very clever, I like the symbolism. Congratulations for your success. Really, I am impressed by you and PoE staff.

Thanks! :) I am very eager to know what all flavor texts mean, though its very time consuming

I bow down to this. I love it when people get into this stuff. It makes me want to do the same.
I really enjoy this , so I also want to add my thoughts.

First, I do not think the harbingers have anything to do with the gods. Simply from the timeline, they appear since act 1, where all the gods and the beast still live. And Kitava is usually symbolized by a cross as the one on his face.

Second, we translate the skill as righteous fire, but the mobs are not loosing health, right? So "righteous" might not be what the three little wedges mean. Then again, I actually like the "pray" translation from Zaludoz (praying hands?) a lot.

Regarding the unique items, the flavor text might just describe the buff the harbinger gives to you. This would be a bit boring, but would give us a good hint to decipher the language. For example, the second line on the mask could mean "... decrease(slow) direction(movement)" --> chill.
It works for some others as well, but some lines do not make sense.

I would also suggest that the open cross connector symbol (second to last on the shield for example) means "not" (negates the following symbol). On the shield the last symbol would then become "not broken" or "unshattered" as in the item name.

Also, there is a better screenshot of the harbinger "stargate" here http://imgur.com/dd5BkLZ (not mine), if someone wants to add the translation to the doc. The symbols seem to be the same. However, the symbols on the ground in the boss fight seem to be different every time. Maybe they also mean something?
Since I have yet to go into one of these maps, does this maybe depend on the tier or the map and is the flavor text of the same for all tiers?
"
"
Toshis8 wrote:
"
Strandedmoon wrote:
Wow, very clever, I like the symbolism. Congratulations for your success. Really, I am impressed by you and PoE staff.

Thanks! :) I am very eager to know what all flavor texts mean, though its very time consuming

I bow down to this. I love it when people get into this stuff. It makes me want to do the same.

I bow. Great work OP, son of Einstein !
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
Bifurcator wrote:
I really enjoy this , so I also want to add my thoughts.

First, I do not think the harbingers have anything to do with the gods. Simply from the timeline, they appear since act 1, where all the gods and the beast still live. And Kitava is usually symbolized by a cross as the one on his face.

You're right. Still investigating. We need more ingame screenshots of Harbinger to help us translating other symbols.

What is certain, this "God" Symbol is everywhere on the equipment pieces' flavor texts.
They are talking of someone or something, an event or entity, depicted by that symbol.

"
Bifurcator wrote:
Second, we translate the skill as righteous fire, but the mobs are not loosing health, right? So "righteous" might not be what the three little wedges mean. Then again, I actually like the "pray" translation from Zaludoz (praying hands?) a lot.

Faith or Pray, I agree. We already identify }/\/\/\{><}Fire{ = Righteous Fire skill, and translated }/\/\/\{ by Righteous/justify, but it could probably mean Pray or Faith (and indeed that translation is more related to the symbol). Faith><Fire is still good to mean "Faith around Fire", or Righteous Fire.

"
Bifurcator wrote:
Regarding the unique items, the flavor text might just describe the buff the harbinger gives to you. This would be a bit boring, but would give us a good hint to decipher the language. For example, the second line on the mask could mean "... decrease(slow) direction(movement)" --> chill.
It works for some others as well, but some lines do not make sense.

I investigate that hypothesis and I'm pretty sure it's not related. Not enough sentences compared to many effects on equipment pieces. No pattern for a bonus or malus symbol between pieces. And some symbol that we already know the meaning don't correlate.

"
Bifurcator wrote:
I would also suggest that the open cross connector symbol (second to last on the shield for example) means "not" (negates the following symbol). On the shield the last symbol would then become "not broken" or "unshattered" as in the item name.

Nice observation! It could work!

"
Stefouch wrote:

What is certain, this "God" Symbol is everywhere on the equipment pieces' flavor texts.
They are talking of someone or something, an event or entity, depicted by that symbol.

I think it is likely that the event/thing the symbol is referring to is the thing the harbingers announce. Like the arrival of a bigger, badder thing after them. I assume they are called Harbingers for a reason.
Last edited by Bifurcator on Aug 13, 2017, 4:47:50 AM
Awesome work.

I'm not convinced that RF symbol stands for "Righteous". In Flame Dash and Flameblast the symbols hint for the way fire is used (directions, expansions). IN RF set there's that symbol meaning 'around, surrounded' between [Fire] and ["Righteous"]. Perhaps it's something like the object surrounded by fire?

Speaking of "surrounded". Considering [Fire] symbol liked with [Harbinger] symbol by [surrounded/around/aura] symbol means Harbinger with Anger aura, [Lightning] goes for Wrath and [Cold] goes for Hatred,
I think

is also something more generic than Assassin's Mark. Like Deadliness, Assassination, Deadly, Power, (rather not) Crit, Destroy.

As for flavour text, I'd really love it to be something like regular flavour texts but I think we wouldn't have enough information to guess the meaning of all symbols. If we based it on what the items do, though...
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
Iangyratu wrote:

I think

is also something more generic than Assassin's Mark. Like Deadliness, Assassination, Deadly, Power, (rather not) Crit, Destroy.

I just observed that this symbol comes from a Harbinger with Assassin's Mark supported by Blasphemy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info