Harbinger language/symbol translation

"
Bobbechk wrote:
Here's a bunch of harbingers i fought tonight, wrote down skills and tried to translate.

http://imgur.com/a/D6aMu

(how do you post the image directly?)

Thank you!

On imgur: right click on uploaded image > copy image location > paste it on forum and add [*img][*/img] (without * symbols)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
"
RXA623 wrote:
Also the shield lacks any "in between" symbols, while on all the others the symbol for "Harbinger" comes second, but in Harbinger's names it also starts with "Harbinger". It would seem kinda weird to have "Harbinger" "arrow" "storm" mean "Harbinger of Storms" and then have "Time" "arrow" "Harbinger" mean the "Harbinger of Time". That would mean the language has no real structure, since we can just switch the words around and they still give the same meaning.

Not all languages organize the same way as English, so saying it has no real structure is inaccurate, it would be more accurate to say it is not structured the same as English. :)
Life will be technically better Soon TM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Think I know what does it mean when there is nothing between word symbols, no smaller symbol marking any connection.

there are two groups of symbols going after harbinger symbol, one group for "Flameblast", another for "Flamedash". When there is a small "+" symbol between word symbols, you have combine those two, but when there is nothing it simply stands for "and" (or comma sign). This harbinger does "Flameblast" AND "flamedash".

Thanks to a friend for providing this screenshot :)

If you manage to find a harbinger not mentioned before, please make a screenshot of his name and write down what he did, thanks!

So no connection-symbol = AND ?
I confirm this, I have the same observation on two harbingers. I made screenshots and I will share them tomorrow.
I made a Google Document we can use to gather all the lore we collect:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zDCGrZ2ZYi6-ljZ0nGu-TX2IHlui4CDtWooD8zxksI0/edit?usp=sharing

Do not hesitate to fulfill it!

Moreover, a new announcement from GGG gave us a new symbol and some clues:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1949090

"Time of/for { -something- Trophy? Reward? Loot? } { in strike / over the ground }

and

"Harbinger of Minions over/in maps" ??
or
"Harbinger for Exile (players) in Maps" ??
Last edited by Stefouch on Aug 11, 2017, 5:21:07 AM
"
Stefouch wrote:
I made a Google Document we can use to gather all the lore we collect:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zDCGrZ2ZYi6-ljZ0nGu-TX2IHlui4CDtWooD8zxksI0/edit?usp=sharing

Do not hesitate to fulfill it!

Moreover, a new announcement from GGG gave us a new symbol and some clues:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1949090

"Time of/for { -something- Trophy? Reward? Loot? } { in strike / over the ground }

and

"Harbinger of Minions over/in maps" ??

I think it's direclty related to the sentence above

"much better reward for you time spent fighting"

"increase the chance for Harbingers to appear in maps"

this new language is awesome
Wow.
Amazing stuff! I love such lore parts.
I hope it will be uploaded on wiki because it is huge amount of work put into this research. Pity it would be wasted.
Kudos!

BTW one consideration. Are we sure that this writing is Left to Right order (as in latin alphabet), not Right to Left (as in arabic symbols)?
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
Last edited by Nishrek on Aug 11, 2017, 5:57:47 AM
"
Stefouch wrote:
I think you answered your own question about the inconsistency of the symbols order. The Mask is the answer: the Thunder symbol is mirrored, probably meaning that all the sentences on all equipment pieces are mirrored (I suppose for flavor meanings).

I think it's simpler than that: the symbols on the mask are inverted because they're engraved on the inside of the mask, the way the wearer would see them properly.

That or it was originally drawn facing right but they changed their mind.
Save a Carrot, Eat a Rabbit!
Last edited by LazarusQ on Aug 11, 2017, 6:34:01 AM
Nice work Stefouch. I will have more free time next week, will help on it.

Also, we can agree that symbols dont have ONE meaning 'set in stone", translation might variate a bit, depending on context. For example:

Here last symbol stands for "fighting"

Here it sands for "strike" (thunder strike in this case)

Generally speaking this symbol stands for combat and anything related to it, like fight, strike, hit, maybe struggle. Following this logic we could take symbol

and probably apply general meaning to it of "weakness". Now I am a bit confused about symbol

it symbolizes "assassin's mark" (a curse) in some cases, thought it is not its true general meaning, wonder what could it be?

"
crowlol wrote:

I think it's direclty related to the sentence above

"much better reward for you time spent fighting"

"increase the chance for Harbingers to appear in maps"

this new language is awesome

I agree

Also, changed thread name, maybe this one fits better.

Edit:

Btw, those higher resolution blueish symbols look very nice, wonder if we could ask GGG to release all symbols in this fashion
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Aug 11, 2017, 3:10:38 PM
Awesome work Toshis8 and others.

Really enjoying the lore that I did not see before & thought it was just funky symbols.

I am not Anti-Social, I am just selective on whom I wish to be social with.
Wow! Today I noticed by myself that the codes were not random, but carefully selected to 'tell' something. The things I found so far is dwarfed by the work in this thread.
My guess about the flame dash <.> symbol was direction.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info