High Templar Avarius

I went back and fought him a couple more times to see if I could figure it out. Nope, every time I got nuked and it took me about 8 deaths to get through it.

In some cases I just cannot get into cover fast enough, in others the cover just didn't help against the balls. That 'sigil' attack (I don't know it's proper name) killed me a couple of times, I couldn't get out of it fast enough.

What is worse, I am now on the Kitava boss battle. I don't think I can win that one at all. I die the moment I re-enter the battle without ever doing any damage to him (his minions just tear me apart). Have died like that 5 times now. The level says '45' and I am 52, for some reason I don't think it is really level 45. Maybe in another 10 levels I would be able to beat it.
Last edited by Gauss_Death on Sep 22, 2017, 11:37:14 PM
He may be slightly over tuned with certain animations being way quicker/glitched than one can react.

Though it is trivialized very easily as any sort of ranged character and proper use of the statues he brings to life.
I think that's actually a really well-designed boss fight. I did get rekt a few times in the second phase (when he's revealed as Innocence), but it felt like I could avoid that with a bit more focus. His skills hurt, but not quite one-shot for my only moderately tanky melee Scion and everything can be dodged if you're good and take the time to notice what he does. Maybe the numbers can be adjusted, but the general design is really good.

Polar opposite of terribly designed "the floor (and air, and everything on the entire screen) is lava" fights like Malachai. Also enjoyed the Act V Kitava fight for similar reasons.

Currently starting Act VI and I hope the new boss fights are mostly in this vein - that's one of the reasons why I fell in love with the game in the first place. Second half of Act IV suffers a lot from lazy, spammy boss design and I hope GGG no longer goes down that route.
Last edited by TheLiberation on Sep 23, 2017, 1:15:50 PM
He's my current favourite boss in the game, even on Hardcore as a melee character (Dual striker, so not even """"melee""""). Sure he's painful if you refuse to avoid his obviously telegraphed attacks but really you just need to git gud. Keep a quicksilver flask (which you should have anyway) if your reactions aren't good enough to get out of the sigil. Stick close to him and circle him when he is THE TORCH! For the bullet hell, either stand behind a statue, run to the edge of the arena so the bullets spread out or portal to town if you're really afraid.

I think he has just the right amount of health and damage, though maybe his sparks could be juiced up a bit. They currently do almost nothing. While they're at it, maybe they could look at the act 9 """"""""version""""""""" who dies faster than a rare.
Which attack is "the torch"? The beam attack?

As for his sparks, they killed me fast. At level 50 I only had ~1300hp. Just a couple sparks hitting me would kill me.

Thanks for the Quicksilver idea, I don't have one. I have 3 hp and 2 mana.

As for his attacks being telegraphed, it only seems to be a second or so from the time he starts the attack until it goes off, so I am not sure how that is a lot of telegraphing.
If I am in the center of his 'sigil attack' I cannot get out fast enough.
If I am not near a statue I cannot get behind one fast enough if he does the beam attack and running ahead of it I still get hit (though the quicksilver idea should fix that).

Perhaps I am missing something he is doing to telegraph them?
Last edited by Gauss_Death on Sep 23, 2017, 7:48:48 PM
He yells whenever he's doing an attack:

I am the torch! - fire degen beam, almost literally scorching ray
I am the end! - Sigil
I am your god! - Bullet hell
I am the storm! - light balls from the sky
I am the emperor! - adds
Rise! - statue comes to life
Kneel! - Slow slam
Burn! - Chargeup and then fire projectiles
"
Hemmingfish wrote:

I am the end! - Sigil
I am the emperor! - adds
Kneel! - Slow slam

Oh, I don't use sound when I play. I have text turned on for comments that aren't in dialog boxes but his attack comments haven't ever appeared. Guess the programmers overlooked that.

Still, I am guessing it isn't just that getting me killed. I am guessing I have the wrong build, equipment, etc.
Last edited by Gauss_Death on Sep 23, 2017, 8:09:16 PM
"
Gauss_Death wrote:
"
Hemmingfish wrote:

I am the end! - Sigil
I am the emperor! - adds
Kneel! - Slow slam

Oh, I don't use sound when I play. I have text turned on for comments that aren't in dialog boxes but his attack comments haven't ever appeared. Guess the programmers overlooked that.

Still, I am guessing it isn't just that getting me killed. I am guessing I have the wrong build, equipment, etc.

Yeah, in this case having sound on should definitely help you.

Quicksilver flasks are definitely useful for that (I always have one also because they're what I call "anti-boredom" flasks if needing to backtrack or walk a lot in some locations), and it's definitely good having some kind of movement skill - Shield Charge, Leap Slam, Flame Dash, that kind of thing. This is the kind of boss that really rewards good skills and clever movement, which I consider good design. (Contrary to bosses like Malachai that only reward good items, unless you have literally god-tier reactions to avoid ALL the crap on the screen. Thankfully Merciless is no more, so need to fight only his normal version.)

You can mostly get away without movement skills with tanky characters, but in most other cases, they're often a lifesaver (if you open a rare strongbox, for example. D: ).
Last edited by TheLiberation on Sep 24, 2017, 8:41:26 AM
So the next question, who sells Quicksilver flasks?
It s actually a really good boss design, it's very mechanical, you don't have to rely on your gear, learn the mechanics and you ll be fine

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info