What Dog Shootings Reveal About American Policing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/what-dog-shootings-reveal-about-american-policing/533319/

"
“Given that there’s no shortage of actual human beings getting shot by police officers, pointing these stories out can sometimes seem a bit callous. But I think they’re worth noting because they all point to the same problem. In too much of policing today, officer safety has become the highest priority. It trumps the rights and safety of suspects. It trumps the rights and safety of bystanders. It’s so important, in fact, that an officer’s subjective fear of a minor wound from a dog bite is enough to justify using potentially lethal force, in this case at the expense of a 4-year-old girl.”

Last bumped on Jul 28, 2017, 1:28:16 PM
I dont see any any key!
They should probably get that guy of the police force, that's some serial killer type behavior
anything is everything
Sadly, the police is getting to be like the military. All of those that can't find employment end up there. There was a reason no one wanted to hire them.
Censored.
A lot of that stuff is changing now. I don't see live lobsters for sale anymore in the grocery stores, only frozen which is good because I'm not into that. Puppy mills are considered a bad thing, and people are encouraged to adopt from shelters.

And yeah, I was talking to a suburban cop recently and he was saying that ALL new hires are from the military. I asked why and he said they are not allowed to hire a non veteran as long as there is a veteran that applies for the same job and can pass the tests, pass background and drug checks, etc.

So, with the way the employment picture is, I give it just a few years and the old cops retire and the entire force will be from the military.
Censored.
dude freezing a lobster is a travesty

fresh boiled is soooo much better

and at the right stores you can still buy live lobsters especially on the coasts

I dont see any any key!
Yeah, I know in ME you still can but not down here. Not that I eat that rubbish anyway.
Censored.
when you boil them they die instantly anyway im not sure why people care

and they are ever so yummy
I dont see any any key!
I didn't know Charan was a vegan

ANYWAYS... let Gordon Ramsay show you how to lobster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlVsQRiO58
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Jul 13, 2017, 8:41:41 PM
I think this video clearly shows the officer's report doesn't match what happened, and the officer appears to have fired at the dog without cause.

What this shows - and is proven by the smattering of numerical claims in the article, is that we definitely have some people on the police force that shouldn't be there, and/or are improperly or under trained.

There will be bad apples in any group - whether police, scientists, politicians, lawyers, teachers, doctors etc. The potential for power and abuse seems to draw a higher proportion of miscreants to the police than some other jobs, but that doesn't mean those represent the majority of police.

There is an institutional problem of over protecting officers who have done the wrong thing, but there is also a problem of over assuming any kind of shooting implies guilt before innocence.

The article does a good job of citing the difficulty in getting statistics, but seems to miss the indication of the statistics they do cite:

"In New York City, the 35,000 sworn officers of the NYPD killed nine dogs in 2014" If there was a widespread dog killing culture, how are *only* nine dogs killed by 35K officers in a city of ten million?

"The LAPD has admitted to killing eight dogs in 2015." Again, a statistic that shows there isn't a dog killing problem in LA.

In contrast "two Detroit police officers had killed 100 dogs between them over the course of their careers" could be a clear example of bad policing - depending on how long those two had served and how many bad dog situations they were sent into. It would take some extraordinary proof to convince me those officers weren't at fault in that many shootings.

I do think we need better screening and qualifying tools for who we accept as police, better training, and a better system for both investigating them for wrong doing and shielding them against frivolous claims.

As for military serving as police - I haven't seen any studies showing that military training makes an officer more likely to kill, though I'd be interested to read some. Having known people before and after the military and police (and in a some cases both), I didn't see a tendency towards greater violence in those that had served in the military. In fact, what I saw was the opposite. Two who had served in the gulf wars and seen actual combat for multiple tours had far more aplomb. They didn't feel threatened in many situations that others would have. Their sense of fear was lower and their sense of recognition of how that situation could escalate was greater. They knew how they would react, and how quickly they could react. In short, they were able to exhibit far more reserve than others would have.

I'm sure there are some in the military who enjoyed shooting others, but they also exist in the general population. PTSD and such are obviously considerations, but mental disorders should be screened out anyways.

What we definitely need is a lot more transparency on how the police operate, so we can see what needs to be fixed. Body cams should be mandatory - with backups so they can't fail, and carefully planned out reviewing of footage, so that it can be used to solve problems and not publicly witch hunt every shooting.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info