[Poll] What is the most important aspect of an ARPG for you?

"
"
coatofarms wrote:
IMO a compelling, good, well-presented story/lore is the most important part of an ARPG.

the title "ARPG" is too broad. this is a isometric hack n slash ARPG. And I'm fairly sure most people don't care about the story. It's about farming for loot.

Or in PoE's case grinding for currency to buy loot.

I would be happy if loot drops were reduced by 1000x but the items that do drop were actually good. We get constant explosions of worthless garbage and I find it extremely tedious to look through it all.
"

It's about farming for loot.

Isn't that like saying Formula 1 games are about refueling your car?

In poe you get loot and currency to develop characters, getting loot and currency to get more loot and currency doesn't make any sense, does it?
Perception is reality.
"
widardd wrote:
In poe you get loot and currency to develop characters, getting loot and currency to get more loot and currency doesn't make any sense, does it?

That's pretty much the premise of most Korean grind games. As well as some notable early MMO's (Such as EverGrind, then later to a lesser extent Everquest 2)

Grind for fat stacks, to get more fat stacks. Provided the content is engaging enough that is (Which is a gripe I have about PoE's power levels... Finish character development (Heck, not even that, get like 70% there...) and you basically evaporate most content which is dull as heck)

But I guess that's just my thing overall, I don't like getting so OP that I don't feel I can engage content with my character (Probably why I liked GRifts in D3, since even your 100% perfect rolled items character will find plenty of challenging content to do)
"
widardd wrote:
"

It's about farming for loot.

Isn't that like saying Formula 1 games are about refueling your car?

What do you mean it doesn't make any sense? It's precisely what you do in this genre.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
For me, it's a sense of progress. That's why I typically start over before I get to high end maps. I lose that sense of progress.

This.

"
k1rage wrote:

though the item drops i would use the word meaningful rather than interesting

And this.

"
sarannah101 wrote:

-Lots of character build options. (keeps the game interesting)

And of course this too.

One without the others wouldn't make much sense for me:
Build a new character (sonething rather item independent), play as far as possible. Keep all items that could be meaningful for future builds. Once the first character gets boring or hits a wall, build another one based on the stuff I found so far.
No trading, no partying except with my better half (for some reason she thinks she owns half of my stash anyway).
I just like trying out new build ideas. Sometimes a character feels finished before maps. Currency is only there to help create a new build, I rarely have more than 20 chaos left at the end of a league.

I'm actually a little disappointed that there are only going to be three new skills at launch. Still the changes to aliments/DoTs will add extra elements to builds I guess.
'Other'

The growth and development of a character over the course of the game.
Whether it be through improving their skills, equipment and/or party members, getting new skills, equipment and/or party members or depending on the game, the growth of the main character's personality and character over the course of the game.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Trading / Economy / Socialization

In that order
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
"
monkuar wrote:

In that order

None of your top 3 are...killing monsters for loot? That's the problem with this game. The devs ( and a portion of the player base) like playing economy simulator instead of killing monsters for loot.

Sometimes I don't even know why I play this. I prefer Something like Titan Quest to this. I should be able to farm a location or a boss for a drop. In this game you could play for 1000 hours and not ever see a particular item. The devs value the economy and trading more than game play. It's sad really. Could be the greatest game of it's type.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Aug 2, 2017, 7:11:17 AM
"
"
monkuar wrote:

In that order

None of your top 3 are...killing monsters for loot? That's the problem with this game. The devs ( and a portion of the player base) like playing economy simulator instead of killing monsters for loot.

Sometimes I don't even know why I play this. I prefer Something like Titan Quest to this. I should be able to farm a location or a boss for a drop. In this game you could play for 1000 hours and not ever see a particular item. The devs value the economy and trading more than game play. It's sad really. Could be the greatest game of it's type.

Trading and Economy all entail farming and killing monsters for the epic loot.. that's my point :)
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Aug 2, 2017, 7:17:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info