[Poll] What is the most important aspect of an ARPG for you?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Voted.

No prizes for guessing which box I ticked.

I know what you voted, becoming OP.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
1) build variety. I do my own. most suck. but it's fun.

if i can choose a second: progress. I was hoping 3.0 with 10 acts would drop you off at level 80 or so before mapping. But naah. it's pretty much the same. get to 60ish then grind away. meh. Maps could have run parallel with the story. too weak for story? grind a couple maps.
rawr. fear me.
You should make a new poll with a little more thought on the options. What about trading, theory-crafting, lore? You left out trading, which is one of the most controversial aspects of PoE. I for one, loath it, but I am curious to know how many people actually like it, as the most important aspect even. But I guess that goes to show that it's so retarded that it didn't even cross your mind lol.
"
poeFan2 wrote:
You should make a new poll with a little more thought on the options. What about trading, theory-crafting, lore? You left out trading, which is one of the most controversial aspects of PoE. I for one, loath it, but I am curious to know how many people actually like it, as the most important aspect even. But I guess that goes to show that it's so retarded that it didn't even cross your mind lol.

I too totally forgot about trading, so edited in into my first post.

Trading itself is amazing, though the trading system in PoE could use some upgrading. Trading makes sure that everything you find is of worth, no matter how little. This makes it one of the most crucial features in an arpg for me. Without trading, I wouldn't even want to play the game. As when you get good gear, you could go months without finding any upgrades, which is basically a no fun waste of time. While with trading, you can always work towards an upgrade for whatever gearslot you want, no matter how slow working towards that upgrade goes.

I'm one of those players that hardly ever trades, but I do want the option available!
"
poeFan2 wrote:

Well, not all of those things are common for many ARPG's, so that's why I left the "Other" option so people can actually state it directly if it is, in fact, what they believe to be the most important aspect of an ARPG.

I mean, theory-crafting isn't even an actual thing from a ARPG design perspective, it's just a thing people do and would link in to creating new builds (Since that's usually the main source of theory-crafting, making janky new builds work or min-maxing an existing one)

Lore, I've never really seen it take a forefront in any ARPG what so ever. Usually it's just a nice bonus while you go through the training wheels of the campaign before you head into end-game farm areas that have nothing really relevant to lore. So I would be surprised if it was popular enough to warrant its own choice in the poll (I know there are a handful of people on the forums whom do really enjoy the lore and it's a main focus for them, however, it always appears that they are a minority)

As for trading... Well, both ARPG's I know of that featured trading heavily (PoE and D3) the feature was pretty much universally despised (Though, D3's issue was the RMAH... When they eventually got rid of real money transactions the AH wasn't too bad). So I wouldn't expect it to fare too well either.

Meanwhile, the options I did put up, are ones that I've seen many people opine on in a number of threads, ones talking about the "Clear Speed Meta" usually gets crowds of people who like becoming OP arguing with those whom like to "Plod" through content that is somewhat meaningful. Same with looting, some people like to pick up everything they can find, others like to just run with super strict filters and only care about the 0.1% of items that they deem important.

"
sarannah101 wrote:

Trading itself is amazing, though the trading system in PoE could use some upgrading. Trading makes sure that everything you find is of worth, no matter how little. This makes it one of the most crucial features in an arpg for me. Without trading, I wouldn't even want to play the game. As when you get good gear, you could go months without finding any upgrades, which is basically a no fun waste of time. While with trading, you can always work towards an upgrade for whatever gearslot you want, no matter how slow working towards that upgrade goes.

Technically, that "Everything is worth something" aspect isn't unique to trading. There are alternatives. Heck, this is PoE, where currency is a butt load of items that are used for making or altering stuff.

Could easily do something like let you dismantle items and you have a chance to get one of the mods as a currency item, which then upgrades through all the tiers like Essences do. Which would let you work towards BiS gear, without trading.

Trading is just an easy way to get uniques, which would otherwise be rare (Though, when you account for all drop rates being artificially lowered because of Trading...). But again, this could be also alleviated with the aforementioned dismantle process, whereby you can dismantle Uniques and get special "Unique Currency" which you can apply to bases for essentially a weighted Orb of Chance. Heck you can even adjust the odds its weighted by to how many you need (Could make it like Breach shards where you need to collect 100 shards to get 1 usable item with like 1-5 shards per dismantled unique or something)

There's plenty of options to alleviate the concerns of unluckiness without trading (I mean, D3 uses pseudo random Legendary drops, where every X amount of time you play without getting a Legendary, you'll get a guaranteed drop. So that you're always gonna find something shiny if you play enough)
"
Tarille wrote:
"
sarannah101 wrote:

Technically, that "Everything is worth something" aspect isn't unique to trading. There are alternatives. Heck, this is PoE, where currency is a butt load of items that are used for making or altering stuff.

Could easily do something like let you dismantle items and you have a chance to get one of the mods as a currency item, which then upgrades through all the tiers like Essences do. Which would let you work towards BiS gear, without trading.

Trading is just an easy way to get uniques, which would otherwise be rare (Though, when you account for all drop rates being artificially lowered because of Trading...). But again, this could be also alleviated with the aforementioned dismantle process, whereby you can dismantle Uniques and get special "Unique Currency" which you can apply to bases for essentially a weighted Orb of Chance. Heck you can even adjust the odds its weighted by to how many you need (Could make it like Breach shards where you need to collect 100 shards to get 1 usable item with like 1-5 shards per dismantled unique or something)

There's plenty of options to alleviate the concerns of unluckiness without trading (I mean, D3 uses pseudo random Legendary drops, where every X amount of time you play without getting a Legendary, you'll get a guaranteed drop. So that you're always gonna find something shiny if you play enough)

As I've posted: I hardly ever trade. I have no issues with the current droprates whatsoever, and disagree with increased, timed or forced droprates. The dropsystem in PoE is perfect in my opinion. So yeah, I want every drop to be worth something, regardless of me going to trade it or not(as it is now).

I'm 100% against GGG implementing anything from d3. That game is just terrible, and has absolutely nothing worth implementing. I actually regret the 100$ I spend on d3(not an arpg, but a brainless hack n slash), in contrast to the 1000$+ I spend on PoE and do not regret. Which is very telling!

My opinion is: An arpg without trading, isn't an arpg.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jul 9, 2017, 5:57:17 PM
"
sarannah101 wrote:
As I've posted: I hardly ever trade. I have no issues with the current droprates whatsoever, and disagree with increased, timed or forced droprates.

I'm 100% against GGG implementing anything from d3.

Ehh... I never implied I had an issue with the drop rates, nor that anything from D3 should be implemented.

I merely mentioned that without trading, there are alternatives to the concerns of yours. The biggest one seeming to be potentially taking ages to get any progression, which might only happen SSF in this game BECAUSE their drop rates are artificially lowered to get people to trade more. That's just a fact, they've mentioned it at some point as I recall.

If they didn't have trading, or so much focus on it, drop rates would be higher and you might not ever need to trade at all to get what you need in a reasonable amount of time.

"
My opinion is: An arpg without trading, isn't an arpg.

Fair enough.

I personally don't see the point in trading in an ARPG. For me it's always been about getting loot from smashing dudes to pulp. Smash dudes > Get stronger > Smash stronger dudes > farm end game > rinse and repeat is generally how I view ARPG's. Bypassing most of that by just buying end-game builds kind of seems like a waste of time for me (But then again, I like to be progressing, so I don't farm end-game as much as other people)

Probably evident given I play SSF only though... I don't need other people in my ARPG's :P
making new builds to collect loot and become OP
I wish there was a multiple choice option, but I went with making g builds.

However I in general like the progression of multiple aspects. That being in this case, new league comes out and...

Step one making a new build.
Step two killing lots of stuff.
Step three collecting loot.
Step four becoming OP.
Step five refer to step three.
Step six refer to step one.

By the way the only game ive played that I can actually follow through with this is PoE. So I've answered more or less my favorite aspect of the this game in general and not arpgs as a whole. As I feel nothing out can even slightly hold a candle to PoE with it's ever changing meta and constantly t influx of new content. I played Diablo for a week and get bored, in Poe I play one character for a week get bored and level another, I usually play a league for about a month and a half before I take leave until the next. Granted the only real reason I leave is because my PC sucks and dying to shit outta my control and five minute town loading screens build up the salt meter quickly.
XBOX-----------------
Kitava Supporter
Dominator Supporter
1st Lvl 100: Incursion League
1st SSF UE, UA, and Shaper: Delve League
Interesting 25% for Making Builds, Collecting Loot, and becoming OP.

ARPG's are the gaming version of a gambling addiction. Need the fix of that next boss kill and next potential great loot drop. That one didn't drop anything good, maybe the next one, maybe the next one after that.

And I love it.

PoE has really gone fail in the loot department of late, with a huge percentage of drops being completely worthless (statistically approaching 100% near end game). But the variety of builds you can make with all that even mediocre gear you store in your 37 stash tabs is phenomenal and what keeps me in this game.

Early on it is the gear progression, later it is the build diversity.

I have yet to create an OP character.......
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Jul 10, 2017, 1:10:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info