[Poll] What is the most important aspect of an ARPG for you?

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
For me, it's a sense of progress. That's why I typically start over before I get to high end maps. I lose that sense of progress.

A corollary of that is the hunt for items. Item drops have to remain interesting, or I start over.

Also, your choices have to matter. There have to be good choices, and bad ones. D3 fails here. There's no real choice in that game that makes a difference after you pick your character.

Then comes "skill". Good play should be rewarded and bad play should be penalized. This is the spot where PoE grabs me. It's what the other games out lack.

I agree with shags for the most part

though the item drops i would use the word meaningful rather than interesting

a chaos orb is not interesting but it is meaningful

for shags who is SSf its not so much
I dont see any any key!
Progression and creativity in builds.I think the reason I don't follow build guides is it takes the creative aspect away from me.Also like intricate mechanics than synergies with each other.

An interesting thing about the progression side is that 'starting over' does not kill the progression feeling.In fact I see it as progressing knowledge,each time you do a new build you get better at it,it is even a kind of wealth since it actually helps you gain wealth faster.
Why isn't all of the above an option
Min maxing to the stars.

How fast and efficiently can I clear a map, kill a boss, reach a level.
GGG seems to love ruining this goal with every successive patch.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Jul 9, 2017, 2:23:22 AM
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
Why isn't all of the above an option

Well, simply because I was interested in what people regarded as "Most" important.

I could have very easily allowed multiple options on the poll, but given that all of the options are fairly core concepts to ARPG's as a whole (To varying degrees) I expected if I asked "What is important for ARPG's" question would have lead to relatively equal scores across the board (Perhaps with competition trailing behind somewhat given the state of PvP)

Instead I wanted to push people a little out of their comfort zone and ask them for the singular most important aspect. Since, difficult choices like that leads to more thought on the matter to pick one. This is said as someone who themselves would struggle to pick exactly 1 response to the question, since I do like various aspects of ARPG's to a great degree.

As a result, I believe it's giving some more useful results, with certain aspects seeming to trail behind others (Also, the interesting shift in the more popular results, starting off with a surge of "Become OP" but then with "Collecting Loot" coming up to tie with it and now "Making New Builds" is starting to catch up)
The lore. Why is the lake dry, and what is Voll and his army of undead doing there?
Personally I love multiple aspects about arpg's:
-Killing lots of monsters fast. (feeling powerful)
-Interesting loot/droprate. (I love love poe's loot system!)
-Gear progression. (increasing my character's power)
-Lots of character build options. (keeps the game interesting)
-Lots of end-game gameplay options. (in poe's case orbing/creating maps)
-The ability to log in and jump into the action right away, same with logging out(instantly return to town and log).
*-Edited in: Trading. (love how everything you find has worth, no matter how little)

Things that usually annoy me about arpg's:
-Having to repair gear. (luckily not available in poe)
-Timers. (Nothing annoys me more than timers in arpg's, luckily poe only has few and those are very very easy)
-Inventory management. (unavoidable)
-Having to go to town to sell. (would love some kind of inventory decontruct-into-orbs system)
-Feeling forced to do .... *something* (luckily everything in poe is optional, I don't mind lab)
-Multiple staged bosses. (cool, I won... oh no wait I didn't!)

Just my general thoughts.

PS: If I had to pick one single best arpg aspect I wouldn't be able to do this, as good aspects compliment eachother/work together in a game.
Last edited by sarannah101 on Jul 9, 2017, 2:18:19 PM
Killing... in a style
Other, a sense of progression.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Trade and god gears.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info