Why Bear Trap is Broken

So without crit chance/multiplier bear trap is weak? Haven't heard that before.
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
So without crit chance/multiplier bear trap is weak? Haven't heard that before.

Eh???
IGN: _Firebitch

tramp is retard
i have heavy striker 6 k dps 3 gem support
tramp 17k dps 3 gem support ..............
pvp 1 hit tramp instant die
"
tilo55 wrote:

tramp is retard

Is bear trap really hitting 17k without critting?
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
tilo55 wrote:

tramp is retard

Is bear trap really hitting 17k without critting?

No. Don't get all wet as soon as someone who can't even spell the name of the skill declares some bogus information.

It is a well known bug that spell damage modifies the "dps" display popup on the tooltip, without changing the damage.

Refer here for further clarification:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/30766/page/8
IGN: Aux
Don't get uptight at a simple question. I definitely wasn't just taking his word on it.
Standard Forever
Pvp damage scaling also thankfully applies a higher penalty to larger hits. It must be some exponential decrease that gets really extreme for huge hits, otherwise bear traps would be one shotting every time they crit (or molten shell for that matter).
Last edited by aimlessgun on Mar 30, 2013, 3:31:26 AM
Simply put, Bear trap doesn't require a passive skill point investment to do relatively high damage because the scaling of bear trap's base damage doesn't scale with anything besides supports, uniques, or crit/multipliers. If they wanted to make Bear Trap to be affected by passives, it would be really hard to balance and would require changing fundamental mechanics, properties of uniques, or fair sized area of nodes. A predicament would be bear trap being a Dex skill and if it were changed to scale with existing scaling mechanics; where one usual form of spell/skill scaling is spell damage which isn't situated in the dex or green area of the tree or found on many dex based equipment so it'd make it a very inefficient skill for the originally intended (imo) classes/builds : being assassins/archers (stereotypical shadow or ranger builds),
same with the other side (less plausible) of the spectrum where since it deals physical damage, if it should scale with physical modifiers it would have to choose between ranged or melee physical damage since there is no combined physical modifier (which would, if introduced, screw up the existing ranged/melee distinction and make gems like iron grip/etc. obselete) and even if it did it would make bear trap really inefficient for spell casters. So in order to make Bear Trap accessible to all classes without much scaling restrictions, they decided to make it only really able to scale with supports/uniques or crit (which is useful for pretty much all types of damage) and have a reliably high base damage but have very few options of scaling base damage to prevent it from being too strong (but crit builds still manage to make it amazing - but in that case it's requiring a large investment so no qualms there right?).

And then there is everything else that can be readily accessed to counter traps that make it balanced - knowledge/execution/gear.
Bear trap is balanced, some guy 1 shotted me and I have 7.5k hp. Balanced.
/sarcasm
Animalistic in nature, somebody help me
Leap in, temp chains heavy strike you down. I feel that is much more effective then wait out A RANGED player with traps and risk giving him time to froze me down. Sure molten isnt that nice.. but it dosnt really kill you. And like every one here have stated, you can easily just have a lvl 1 arc in your other weapon slot just to take them out. Its not hard to spot them.

And the guys that goes overboard with traps usaly just stays on one spot and whait you in and trys to be sneaky with it.... It's so obvious sometimes It's almost not even funny.

And you whine about the damage of traps? But it almost never hits and you can counter it easily if your not lazy it will be equals 0 dmg.... Sure there is a chanse of geting killed by one sure. BUT i rather get killed by a trap then perm freeze. Beacuse the only one i can blaim when i die to a trap is myself beacuse i play to aggresive / careless.

When a banker jumps out of a window, jump after him, that's where the money is.
Last edited by Xpire on Mar 30, 2013, 2:12:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info