Why Bear Trap is Broken

"
From my experiences in PvP I have messed around with alout of builds and faced quite a few people in 1v1 and 3v3. I have seen more and more builds use bear trap even if it made no sense whatsoever, even if it didn't compliment their build in any way shape or form. So the question is why? Why use Bear Trap? Because of several factors.

1- Bear Trap just stand alone, the stats are very high. At best the trap should do decent damage but not at the levels we are seeing. The trap should be more of a immobilize than a knockout spell along with the control you get with it.

2- Another horrible problem with ALL traps, "bear trap included" is that they are INVISIBLE. The traps literally cannot be seen by their opponents. Traps should atleast be visible so they can be countered by other players in a realistic fashion. With totems it can be debated that it is more of a balanced third party source of damage because you can see it, target it, and make a strategy accordingly. With traps you have a invisible source of damage in which you cannot target with spells or attacks. the only way to negate it is either by walking over it yourself, summon a totem on top of it. Or make a summon and hopefully he walks over it in your stead.

In short you get too many pros with traps in general with no drawbacks at all. It lowers the skillcap of the game, and generally takes out the fun of a competitive based pvp setting.

If you are to change it, atleast make it to where the ability will lock you in place for a entended amount of time, but the damage needs to be scaled WAY down. The fact that people are solely relying on this ability alone to attempt to win matches at high level is pathetic.

Says the guy who spams ice spear totems putting people in perma freeze. Bear trap is no more OP than ice spear. How about double perma cursing? Is that OP too? Of course not, they are skills you use.

I'll easily give up my OP bear traps when you give up your OP ice spear. Just saying...

:-)
Last edited by Tygerwoody on Mar 25, 2013, 10:23:08 AM
the pvp mechanic needs to be completly revamped. dmg scales and utility of skills/debufs are made for mobs with 100000000000 hp not players. so is some of retarded items and elemental aliements.
"
Tygerwoody wrote:

Bear trap is no more OP than ice spear.

I'll easily give up my OP bear traps when you give up your OP ice spear. Just saying...

From my experience with pvp I disagree. At least you can counter getting frozen with items. The only good counter for bear trap is trying to dodge it.

Bear trap holds you in place, does VERY high damage with little investment, and you can spam it with multiple gems.

Ice spear you at least have to make a build for it. Basically everyone carries bear traps because their so good.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 25, 2013, 5:30:32 PM
First of all this post is directed mainly at BringYourFriends as he whined a lot when I PvPed him.

The amount of whine in the Bear Trap threads baffles the mind.

There are a plethora of counters to every single skill in the game. I will name some for Bear Trap since you can't think of any.

Armor
Arctic Armor (reduces physical and fire damage (most common support for BT) by a flat amount)
Arc
Leap Slam (breaks traps and allows movement while immobilized)
Whirling Blades (can move while immobilized)
Bear Trap your opponents Bear Trap
Don't let your opponent go off screen and cast them (you can see them being thrown and land before going invisible) (you can do this)
Move when your opponent throws a trap on you (you can do this)
Cold Snap
Cyclone
Summons
Totems cast on traps (you use this ability)
Firestorm
Arctic Breath (you use this ability)
Run endurance charges

Bear Trap is melee's solution to ranged characters that can use an abusive (don't read as broken or OP) amount of chill/freeze or curse control and Molten Shell (as you do).

While Witches and other casters can run Bear Trap, most don't, either due to the high dex requirement of a high level Bear Trap, or due to the fact that to properly support it, it can take up to 2G and 2R sockets, which is nearly impossible on ES gear. An unsupported Bear Trap is a complete joke to any character who is even somewhat serious about PvP and has tailored their build / gear choices to it.

Just because random guy#224 queues up for PvP with his lvl 75 character specced and geared for PvE to have some PvP fun gets completely wrecked by a properly built PvP character that utilizes Bear Trap, means little to the power of the skill.

The fact of the matter is, you don't like it because you are either too lazy to move, or cannot run the proper socket set up to run it yourself.

I see you don't have a problem running other skills that completely counter melee such as Artic Breath totem and Molten Shell, but I don't see your threads regarding those skills.

IGN: Aux
Molten shell has counters as well but my main point is that for molten shell to do well against some builds (as everything is strong against someone) you have to build for it and invest in it. Bear trap is being thrown around by every build because of how good it is and the little investment it requires.

My character is going to be bear trapped becasue he is pretty slow, I can accept that because thats my build. However the fact that it does far more damage than the guy hitting me does is just strange.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 26, 2013, 1:13:54 AM
"
iamstryker wrote:
Molten shell has counters as well but my main point is that for molten shell to do well against some builds (as everything is strong against someone) you have to build for it and invest in it. Bear trap is being thrown around by every build because of how good it is and the little investment it requires.

My character is going to be bear trapped becasue he is pretty slow, I can accept that because thats my build. However the fact that it does far more damage than the guy hitting me does is just strange.

You don't have to build around Molten Shell. Every caster has loads of spell damage.
"
Aux wrote:

You don't have to build around Molten Shell. Every caster has loads of spell damage.

If you don't have good block/armor molten shell won't pop enough to matter.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 26, 2013, 1:37:46 AM
That isn't building for Molten Shell specifically, that is an inherent need for anyone who PvPs.
Block and armor are crucial to anyone who pvp's? Block definitely isn't and I don't see caster's carrying around enough armor to make molten shell pop enough to matter.
Standard Forever
Bear Trap has at least as much investment as that, requiring high dex and an odd color combination almost impossible on an ES character that saying "any class can just throw it on can" is a serious oversight, and is frankly acting ignorant to try and prove a point.

As far as Molten Shell popping often enough to matter, how many does it take to matter? I think i recall yours activating once or twice per round when fighting you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info