Why Bear Trap is Broken

People complain about all sorts of things. My templar has plenty of weaknesses and I don't think they are OP, they just happen to be good counters to my build. If something is powerful thats fine I just think it should have heavy build investment. At the moment I don't see bear trap having that kind of investement, and I don't see its damage as making much sense (unless the tree gets bear trap damage nodes for players to invest in).

If bear trap is balanced then it shouldn't be hard to explain why its balanced.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 27, 2013, 9:30:02 PM
I've explained every single way that it is balanced. If I don't get killed by it and everyone uses it, then it is obviously not overpowered.

If you still don't think it is, I feel sorry for your ability to read the battlefield and adapt to such a simple ability to negate.

Not to mention it CAN'T get better. No amount of talents spent can make the skill any better, and very few items can, whereas every other skill in the game is far from its potential as no one has anywhere near perfect gear.
IGN: Aux
"
Aux wrote:
I've explained every single way that it is balanced. If I don't get killed by it and everyone uses it, then it is obviously not overpowered.

I don't agree that dex requirement, and gems(gem slots) is enough investment to justify the damage.

"
Aux wrote:

If you still don't think it is, I feel sorry for your ability to read the battlefield and adapt to such a simple ability to negate.

This has nothing to do with the battlefield or me avoiding/escaping bear trap, At this point in the discussion I am only questioning the damage.

I'm not going to argue with your experiences against the it. All I know is I have one tankiest characters you can make in the game and bear trap its me harder than main attacks do. Of course I will try to not get hit by it but that doesn't really negate the discussion on its damage.

If you want we can go into a match sometime (perhaps tonight) and test out its damage again compared to your main attack.

I will leave off tempest shield and molten shell of course.
Standard Forever
All of the things that counter it, contribute to the damage it deals.

If it was an ability like Heavy Strike that was guarenteed to hit 100% of the time, the damage would be shit.

The fact that it takes skill to hit a decent player with it, is more than enough by itself deserve the damage it deals.

Comparing it to a "melee attack" is complete nonsense, why don't you compare how fast you can ride your bicycle next to a 1100cc motocycle while you are at it.
We obviously disagree about the damage it should deal so there isn't much point in the two of us continuing to discuss it.

For me the skill should be more about "trapping" another character, not dealing out tons of damage.

Unless your build is designed to move quickly or kite then its not that hard to temporal chains/chill someone and then drop bear traps directly onto their heads.

Ya people can dodge it but I still don't think that justfies the damage that it does with absolutely no investment onto the passive skill tree.

I still don't think its at all absurd to think that a main attack with investment on the skill tree should do more damage than a bear trap.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 27, 2013, 11:21:47 PM
"
iamstryker wrote:
I still don't think its at all absurd to think that a main attack with investment on the skill tree should do more damage than a bear trap.

At least the devs have enough common sense to believe that it's absurd.
Since when did the devs comment on it? Last time I checked the game isn't finished either.

Just agree to disagree dude. I was just wanting to discuss it.
Standard Forever
The devs don't have to comment on it. Their buffs/nerfs to the skill convey their opinions of it. They've both buffed the skill and nerfed it over its course. This doesn't mean its done changing.

You don't want to discuss the ability--which involves discussing the ability as a whole. You want to focus on 1 aspect of the skill, and nothing else. It's only damage damage damage for you and comparing it to "main" skills. You disregard all the evidence that points to why its damage is appropriate, and keep saying you want "main" skills to do more damage.

Well, I can tell you that your wish will come true soon enough when people complete their damn near best in slot items.

We still haven't seen any two-handers that come anywhere near their top end damage capabilities, and when you do, the damage from Bear Trap will become laughable in comparison.

Keep in mind also that when dueling people who are higher level than you, their gem levels are quite disproportional. At level 80 (like yourself) your gems should probably around level 16 or 17. For everything to be fair in pvp you should be fighting against other people with level 16 or 17 gems. The base damage of Bear Trap at lvl 17 is 1346–1884, whereas mine (lvl 20) does 2224–3113. Scaled by my support gems, it does well over twice what a lvl 17 Bear Trap can do. This means your character (and gear) should only have to be able to mitigate a level 17 Bear Trap, which I'm sure is not a problem for you.

I know you won't take that into consideration because I didn't use the words "main skill" and some other nonsense, but I wish you--and everyone else for that matter--could look at the skill objectively for once.
Actually that explanation you gave there was pretty helpful. I am looking at the skill subjectively. Hence why I am asking people to try to convince me that its balanced.

Although I still don't think its damage is appropriate for its build investment. IMO bear trap shouldn't be able to come close to main skill damage.

Simple as that. No need to get upset or anything.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 28, 2013, 12:58:00 AM
Bear Trap is a "main skill."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info