Is there any gain for GGG in putting out shit balance patches?

"

Because thats not how game balancing works. Might as well say skill x is shit because of low dps, buff dps and its viable.

I said that because GGG seem to like nerf more than buff, and they usually just buff some junk uniques usually that are unlikely to be used anyways. I dont think PoE is about balance though its more to do with lets nerf popular build type thing. Why? Because you still got SRS and many OP builds that hasnt been nerfed for years, but that is because nobody talks about it as much as ES or low life.
Last edited by Puraime on May 21, 2017, 11:14:36 AM
"
Puraime wrote:
"

Because thats not how game balancing works. Might as well say skill x is shit because of low dps, buff dps and its viable.

I said that because GGG seem to like nerf more than buff, and they usually just buff some junk uniques usually that are unlikely to be used anyways. I dont think PoE is about balance though its more to do with lets nerf popular build type thing. Why? Because you still got SRS and many OP builds that hasnt been nerfed for years, but that is because nobody talks about it as much as ES or low life.

Did you ever consider the fact that they nerf OP builds because those are the ones that exploit the game or are otherwise unhealthy for the meta?

Snapshotting wasnt what GGG wanted us to do yet people defended it in saying its allowed because GGG doesnt nerf it. Then they nerfed it and everyone QQed. Was fun.
"
torturo wrote:
I'm surprised that players being here for so long can't see the picture.

GGG intentionally practices yo-yo balancing. It's strictly related to the business model.
There's a massive power creep injection in every patch: either a skill or a group of mechanically related skills, or recently - they play big with whole mechanics.
The point is to attract the masses and the casuals to actively play for at least two weeks at the beginning of a league. It's the time they are more willing to visit the shop. If we take a look at the graphs about the peaks of the player retention before participants begin to leak, it becomes clear.

Later on, they nerf to the ground the overused recent cash cow, and replace it with a new one. This way they bury both the power creep they intentionally created, along with the disposable content. These become meaningless, as everyone have already switched to the new meta. And as long as they implement more new content, power creep and disposable content become meaningless, harmless, and forgotten.

That's why they focus on the leagues, where this marketing strategy can effectively work. And are trying to suffocate the perma leagues, where it can't.

In a similar way is balanced another F2P game - Dota 2. Not identical, but similar. Though there are differences and PoE approach in balancing is way more extreme and aggressive, some basic principles remain.

At times I feel bad about the PoE balance team (though not the best team got to admit), as they are forced to take actions and decisions which are commercially motivated, defined by the marketing department.
That's why D2 will always be more balanced, along with TQ/GD, or sometimes even D3 - these are all P2P and the major income came/comes mostly by selling copies.

TLDR

PoE will never be a balanced RPG, because of the business model it follows. And developers are not even trying to.
A direct answer to the question in the title - yes, there is gain.

That's actually a pretty solid argument. They really don't want to keep players because they cost money. They should stay as long as they are willing to buy stuff and then leave.

I hate it but I realize more and more after every patch, that POE will never be what I think/hope it could be.... a true D2 successor. :(
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
"
torturo wrote:

GGG intentionally practices yo-yo balancing. It's strictly related to the business model.
There's a massive power creep injection in every patch: either a skill or a group of mechanically related skills, or recently - they play big with whole mechanics.
The point is to attract the masses and the casuals to actively play for at least two weeks at the beginning of a league. It's the time they are more willing to visit the shop. If we take a look at the graphs about the peaks of the player retention before participants begin to leak, it becomes clear.

Later on, they nerf to the ground the overused recent cash cow, and replace it with a new one. This way they bury both the power creep they intentionally created, along with the disposable content. These become meaningless, as everyone have already switched to the new meta. And as long as they implement more new content, power creep and disposable content become meaningless, harmless, and forgotten.

That's why they focus on the leagues, where this marketing strategy can effectively work. And are trying to suffocate the perma leagues, where it can't.

In a similar way is balanced another F2P game - Dota 2. Not identical, but similar. Though there are differences and PoE approach in balancing is way more extreme and aggressive, some basic principles remain.

At times I feel bad about the PoE balance team (though not the best team got to admit), as they are forced to take actions and decisions which are commercially motivated, defined by the marketing department.
That's why D2 will always be more balanced, along with TQ/GD, or sometimes even D3 - these are all P2P and the major income came/comes mostly by selling copies.

TLDR

PoE will never be a balanced RPG, because of the business model it follows. And developers are not even trying to.

Pretty spot on.

Of course most people will never accept it, it would be like getting a monk who dedicated 50 of years of his life to god to accept god dosnt exist, just as he is about to die.
"
Towlg wrote:
"
Hyskoa wrote:
Diablo 2 also had retardedly OP stuff, still played every single build I could think of.... thrice.

Yes, and Diablo 2 also had almost mandatory items like Enigma for non-Sorcerers and Infinity for mercenary for elemental casters (removes a lot of immunities).

No instant leech, but with good character you have enough HP to sustain with flasks + you have instant full recovery flasks.

In DoTA, OP stuff is meant to countered with another OP stuff. And it works!

Diablo 2 was played because it's old game, and in THAT time, there werent any decent alternatives. The only another good "old" ARPG was Titan Quest, and it was also imbalanced greatly.
Game developers shouldnt look back and say "Oh, look, that old game was imbalanced but still was played, so lets make an imbalanced game too". A good game developer always tries to make something BETTER than his precedors.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Dey see me crying, dey lolling, dey must be asking, why are yo tears so salty?
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Puraime wrote:

Why not just nerf skills that give high dps? Blade Flurry is ridiculous for example, I just went with 4 link this league and I was able to do most of content except ofc the guardians and bosses, I can prolly do them easily with 6 link.

Most skills are like this bro for experianced players. I have not been playing much this patch because im on the ProjectPT bandwagon of Fuck GGGs casualiztion lol, But in breach I played 4 builds all my own

-Shock nova in a 4L crit gloves and tendrils in 6L chest - tool tip - 400K dps shock nova and 1m DPS temdril for boss with 9PC - blew through everything

-BV zerker with hidden potential blue gear - 4m DPS pathofbuilding - same thing

-a generic warcheif totem till 80 or so but still one shot everything till I switched.

-A CWDT build nerfed day after I posted guide. 60 spells a second. nuf said.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1840346

Its really getting old. Ememies harmless until big 6. One shot everything. total arcade. fit for ...a console.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 22, 2017, 1:35:46 AM
"
torturo wrote:

Where did you get this information from? Unless it is from GGG themselves, it is nothing more than a wild guess, hence useless.

"
torturo wrote:

Welcome to the real world. That's how every company ever makes (or at least should make) decisions.
Also, D2 isn't balanced at all. There are several broken skills and items in the game.

"
torturo wrote:

TLDR

Or maybe PoE will never be balanced because there is no consensus on what a balanced game even is. Also, every change affects dozens of mechanics and accounting for every little possible effect when balancing a game like PoE is hard.
"
Reizoko wrote:

Welcome to the real world.

Dude I'm in the real world. Hence my comment...

"
Where did you get this information from? Unless it is from GGG themselves, it is nothing more than a wild guess, hence useless.

Could be a speculation, of course. It's based on my personal observations over PoE patch history, and the balancing decisions within. But can be wrong. Or right.
Just don't expect of ggg any official or unofficial information or discussion on this topic.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
Is there any gain for GGG in putting out shit balance patches?

What you really are asking, is:

"Is there any gain for GGG to change up their game, making things different (and interesting), by switching the META, letting people discover more builds and enjoy the game in a new way, even though I PERSONALLY - and very subjective - think the patches are shit?"

Yes, yes there are.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info