Lightning Strike

"
BlackPersian wrote:
Hey,

LS + CoC, which procs the CoC Gem? First hit? Or hit + every projectile single roll? Also does the Disemboweling cluster "works" when LS is used as "ranged" attack?

Also: will LMP/GMP release more crits for CoC activation when the connected spell is no projectile spell and LMP/GMP wouldn´t support the spell casted by CoC?

Thanks!

Every attack skill hit can proc CoC, in case of LS, both initial hit and projectiles. GMP indeed releases more crits on a big pack, but shy use non-projectile spell then, when projectile spell gains more benefit?
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Dec 28, 2014, 12:27:46 PM
Does the less damage from gmp/lmp apply to the projectiles of lightning strike? Can't find an answer to this anywhere, but on tooltip I can't see any difference, and my dps doesn't seem worse when using gmp at all.... idk...
The tooltip shows the initial swing Damage, so that's entirely useless when you want your Projectile Damage.
The Projectiles do suffer G/LMP's Damage penalties.
If I understand it correctly, the initial hit will dictate if the whole attack including the projectiles will crit. It follows that melee critical chance bonuses will indirectly result in more projectile crits since the whole attack will crit more often. Is this true?

If so, when is crit multiplier applied? Will the crit damage be calculated after the projectiles hit and roll for accuracy? I am lead to believe that melee critical strike multipliers such as the bonus from Abyssus ("100 to 150)% increased Melee Critical Strike Multiplier") will not affect the projectile portion of the attack. But since crit chance interaction is so ambiguous, I feel more clarification is in order.
That which does not kill us, makes a huge mistake.
The Melee swing determines whether the Projectiles gain Always Hit. It does not effect Crit checks.
Crit is rolled once per Skill activation (from 0 to 99). Each individual Hit checks its Chance to Crit against the rolled value.

As mentioned, the Crit roll is in actuality a roll from 0 to 99, but it's easier to work with 1 to 100.
Crit Chance sets the maximum threshold.

Lightning Strike, 10% Chance to Crit with the Melee Swing (threshold 10), 50% Chance to Crit with the Projectiles (threshold 50).
You swing at a pack of enemies, and roll a 35 on your Crit.
The Melee swing connects, checks the Crit roll, and sees that it's far above the threshold. No Crit.
A Projectile strikes an enemy, checks the Crit roll - the roll is below the Projectile's threshold, the Hit is upgraded to a Crit.

Assassin's Mark simply increases the threshold value when a Hit lands on a Cursed enemy. A Crit roll of 52 against Cursed enemies will be sufficient for the Projectiles, because 50+5 is greater than the Crit roll.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 11, 2015, 10:09:30 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The Melee swing determines whether the Projectiles gain Always Hit. It does not effect Crit checks.
Crit is rolled once per Skill activation (from 0 to 99). Each individual Hit checks its Chance to Crit against the rolled value.

As mentioned, the Crit roll is in actuality a roll from 0 to 99, but it's easier to work with 1 to 100.
Crit Chance sets the maximum threshold.

Lightning Strike, 10% Chance to Crit with the Melee Swing (threshold 10), 50% Chance to Crit with the Projectiles (threshold 50).
You swing at a pack of enemies, and roll a 35 on your Crit.
The Melee swing connects, checks the Crit roll, and sees that it's far above the threshold. No Crit.
A Projectile strikes an enemy, checks the Crit roll - the roll is below the Projectile's threshold, the Hit is upgraded to a Crit.

Assassin's Mark simply increases the threshold value when a Hit lands on a Cursed enemy. A Crit roll of 52 against Cursed enemies will be sufficient for the Projectiles, because 50+5 is greater than the Crit roll.
thank you for clarification. I was lead to believe that only the initial hit determines the crit roll, but it appears that the melee and projectile components are completely independent in that regard
That which does not kill us, makes a huge mistake.
the projectiles' only linked factor, is if there is a successful melee hit, then the projectiles NEVER miss.
but you can also attack via only projectiles so...

well until people cry desync.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on May 11, 2015, 11:11:44 PM
i like the skill, but wish it had a purchasable alternate skill effect. maybe orange or purple lightning, and remove the big lightning bolt effect so only the projectiles show.
With the LMP damage penalty reduced in the expansion, shouldn't the "built-in LMP" penalty of Lightning Strike projectiles also be reduced? Without such an update, the skill will lag behind abilities that offer different perks and use the support gem (like Spectral Throw with free pierce). And LS isn't a popular skill to begin with due to its mechanics (ground projectile, set angles outside of player control).

Can we get a separate tooltip/damage breakdown for the projectile damage? Without this it's hard to judge the comparative effectiveness of projectile boosting supports/passives versus those for melee or general attack damage.

Changing lightning strike to bypass minor obstacles would be a great QoL improvement as well.

Thanks.
Quod efficax non stultum
Last edited by elindred on Jul 16, 2015, 11:15:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info