Lightning Strike

"
Vipermagi wrote:
The Projectiles work like any other Attack, except they're Projectile Attacks with a Melee Weapon instead of the more common Melee/Melee and Proj/Ranged combinations.

Hmm, ok, that helps.

So would % increase elemental damage with weapons on an item apply to Lightning Strike?
Yes.
Not sure if this has already been asked, but Lightning Strike could really use an alternative skill effect, sold at the store. Hopefully something less flashy, not just a color change. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Instead of having 3 bright projectiles, the ground gets electrocuted in 3 directions, similar to the effect of Ground Slam.

2. Reduce the tail end effect of the lighting projectile or combine it with suggestion 1 where it leaves the ground electrocuted as it travels.

3. Replace the projectles with small and thin lightning strikes from above, sequentially hitting in the same path as the projectiles.

I'm sure there could be a lot of suggestions on the effects, but basically a skill with this much dominance on the screen would really benefit from an alternative option. Thanks.
Someone else asked, but I'm also curious as to whether the projectiles will proc the effect of Adder's Touch chaos damage.
"
Pacificstar wrote:
Someone else asked, but I'm also curious as to whether the projectiles will proc the effect of Adder's Touch chaos damage.

They will. Just because they're projectiles doesn't make them not originate from a dagger. You're doing dagger damage, and crits will proc Adder's Touch.
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Pacificstar wrote:

They will. Just because they're projectiles doesn't make them not originate from a dagger. You're doing dagger damage, and crits will proc Adder's Touch.

Thanks! I'm using Adder's touch and have seen this at work now
Lightning strike is my favorite skill since I started playing the day OB dropped.

These 2 quotes made me understand LS and the different ways how it can be used.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
When calculating damage for the initial hit of lighting strike, that base damage is increased by melee modifiers, because it's a melee hit. That includes the bonus from strength.
It's also increased by all other relevant modifiers (lighnting, elemental, with [insert weapon type], etc.

When calculating damage for the projectiles of lighting strike, that base damage is increased by projectile modifiers, and NOT by melee modifiers, because it's a projectile. That includes the bonus from strength if you have iron grip.
It's also increased by all other relevant modifiers (lighnting, elemental, with [insert weapon type], etc.

There is no "remembering" because the projectile damage is not somehow made out of a previous damage calculation done for melee with a bunch of modifiers that shouldn't apply to projectile damage. Projectile damage cannot be based on melee damage because we can't then apply the projectile damage modifiers - to do so to already-calculated damage would make the additive stacking modifiers into multiplicative ones.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I'm assuming you're talking about modifiers like "6% increased physical damage with one-handed melee weapons". In such cases, the wording is technically talking about a property of the weapon, not the damage. This is as opposed to "10% increased melee damage".
If you're wondering why I chose those ones specifically, it's because those are the first two I found in the templar area when I checked the passive tree.

If, for example, you use lightning strike with a one-handed sword, and the projectiles hit something, then "increased melee damage" will not apply, because this is projectile damage, not melee. However, that damage is from a sword, and a sword is a melee weapon, so "increased physical damage with one-handed melee weapons" will apply (and likewise so will "increased damage with swords", etc).

I have been using multistrike with LS+GMP and it was a really nice way to farm end game with a semi-mellee.

From these 2 quotes, and no GGG response/changes on this skill since December 10th 2012, I can believe that multistrike does not nerf the dmg from projectiles. Because it causes the skill to do 40% less Melee Damage.

Can anyone verify this, or come with a way to check it? I could download Fraps and playback etc etc.

Also how does the 120% effectiveness work from LS, I could not find any information about it in this thread.

Bad Seed
"
Baristo wrote:

I have been using multistrike with LS+GMP and it was a really nice way to farm end game with a semi-mellee.

From these 2 quotes, and no GGG response/changes on this skill since December 10th 2012, I can believe that multistrike does not nerf the dmg from projectiles. Because it causes the skill to do 40% less Melee Damage.

Can anyone verify this, or come with a way to check it? I could download Fraps and playback etc etc.
Correct, the damage penalty on Multistrike does not apply to the projectiles.
This is an oversight that will be fixed in 0.10.7
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Baristo wrote:

I was so excited that I could finally compete with Lightning Arrow rangers on my melee character...guess that was asking too much.
IGN: Aux
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Baristo wrote:

Because Melee really needs to be nerfed more?

I don't know why I even try to avoid running Chain Lightning Arrow anymore, it's obviously the only viable build in this game.
Last edited by Tyronis3 on Apr 17, 2013, 12:31:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info