[2.6] NOT HoWa Claws / Lightning Strike 300k+ ToolTip / 74|50 Dodge / SUPER Cheap / starter friendly

Hi, I'm new here and I want to know if this is way better overall than frostblade build?

Overall in terms of:
1. more budget friendly
2. higher damage than frostblade?
3. easier to gear
4. ease of use vs frost blade (disregard the positioning because I kinda figured out that one)
Last edited by xDeicidium on Mar 14, 2017, 7:37:10 AM
Is a Lightning coil worth it to buy? Legacy vs non legacy lightning coil. Or would a rare 6l chestplate be ok?
Hey, after I decided Howa was not affordable for my budget and bailed on it, I switched over to this. I'm pretty happy with it, farming t11+ maps very easily to gain some levels right now. I have a couple possible innovations:

1.) Physical Projectile Attack Damage fully scales the projectile damage. I won't go into the math -- and it doesn't show in tooltip since that's for the initial hit -- but this is true and huge. The way I play it, I almost always shift attack using projectiles for safety, so this is a huge fat 6th "more" modifier to fill out the final socket.

2.) You don't actually NEED +2 chain the vast majority of the time IME - +1 from a single ToA is almost the same effect. You can probably swap out a single ToA for something with more dps and you won't notice a significant change in clearspeed - the only time +2 chain is noticeable is when you're trying to hit a rare with an "other allies cannot die" modifier the back of a pack. +2 does improve clearspeed but it's negligible. This is useful both for if you are at early endgame and actually can't afford 2 ToAs, or very late game you can find a better claw option possibly.

I think it's also possible to try Pierce as the 6th gem to boost your projectile damage if you should find claws that give vastly better dps (thoughts?).
Last edited by Zomb1ek1ller on Mar 14, 2017, 3:06:31 PM
"
xDeicidium wrote:
Hi, I'm new here and I want to know if this is way better overall than frostblade build?

Overall in terms of:
1. more budget friendly
3. easier to gear
4. ease of use vs frost blade (disregard the positioning because I kinda figured out that one)

There won't be much difference in terms of budget since both builds have similar gear options. The tree can be the same as well with only a few nodes changed.

Damage-wise I think lightning strike since it has higher base damage. You also can apply shocks for 40% more damage as well.

Lightning Strike and Frost Blades can be interchangeable, especially with this build. It's pretty easy to gear making it a good league starter.

I find lightning strike more relaxing to use. You have to constantly position yourself close range with frost blades to get the initial hits. With lightning strike, you can just hold shift and clear maps offscreen if you'd like.

With the buffs to frost blades in 2.6 and the new jewel, it might be worth taking frost blades but it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer lightning strike but I do find frost blades with chaining pretty satisfying to play.
ign - happycabbaged
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2918696
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2920423
"
happycabbaged wrote:
"
xDeicidium wrote:

Overall in terms of:
1. more budget friendly
3. easier to gear

There won't be much difference in terms of budget since both builds have similar gear options. The tree can be the same as well with only a few nodes changed.

Damage-wise I think lightning strike since it has higher base damage. You also can apply shocks for 40% more damage as well.

Lightning Strike and Frost Blades can be interchangeable, especially with this build. It's pretty easy to gear making it a good league starter.

I find lightning strike more relaxing to use. You have to constantly position yourself close range with frost blades to get the initial hits. With lightning strike, you can just hold shift and clear maps offscreen if you'd like.

With the buffs to frost blades in 2.6 and the new jewel, it might be worth taking frost blades but it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer lightning strike but I do find frost blades with chaining pretty satisfying to play.

I see.

Both skills are interchangeable but I'm worried about the passive skills. Is the Orb of Regret drop rate not that rare? or do I get enough refund skill points later?

I saw your vid and it seems like you're prepping up something before casting lightning strikes. Do I need those skills/items/etc to unleash more damage? and yeah, it's like LS with shock (more damage) vs FB with chill/frozen (more defensive purposes I guess).

I just got LS early on and I tried it in Merveil caves. I find that LS immediately disappears when it hit a wall. How do you manage to LS on close spaces like caves?
"
Tubbehh wrote:
Is a Lightning coil worth it to buy? Legacy vs non legacy lightning coil. Or would a rare 6l chestplate be ok?

A rare 6l is just fine but you'll probably want a lightning coil when you hit red maps. Dodge is great but it won't save you against a high damaging physical hit. With a life EV/Dodge build, you're going to want another layer of defense to help.

The regular lightning coil will work fine but the legacy can be one of your end game goals if you decide to go that far.
ign - happycabbaged
Last edited by happycabbaged on Mar 15, 2017, 2:15:12 AM
"
Zomb1ek1ller wrote:
Hey, after I decided Howa was not affordable for my budget and bailed on it, I switched over to this. I'm pretty happy with it, farming t11+ maps very easily to gain some levels right now. I have a couple possible innovations:

1.) Physical Projectile Attack Damage fully scales the projectile damage. I won't go into the math -- and it doesn't show in tooltip since that's for the initial hit -- but this is true and huge. The way I play it, I almost always shift attack using projectiles for safety, so this is a huge fat 6th "more" modifier to fill out the final socket.

2.) You don't actually NEED +2 chain the vast majority of the time IME - +1 from a single ToA is almost the same effect. You can probably swap out a single ToA for something with more dps and you won't notice a significant change in clearspeed - the only time +2 chain is noticeable is when you're trying to hit a rare with an "other allies cannot die" modifier the back of a pack. +2 does improve clearspeed but it's negligible. This is useful both for if you are at early endgame and actually can't afford 2 ToAs, or very late game you can find a better claw option possibly.

I think it's also possible to try Pierce as the 6th gem to boost your projectile damage if you should find claws that give vastly better dps (thoughts?).

You're right, I didn't consider this. Thanks for mentioning it, I think this gem might be the best 6th link for that kind of playstyle.

I believe it's possible to hit the same target twice with chaining. I'm not sure if it helps much but the claws are pretty solid and not too expensive so might as well dual wield them. I did mention ToA's aren't required but they are pretty cheap but very effective. If you manage to find better claws, I'd suggest going pierce. Quality on lightning strike gives 40% pierce chance so adding the gem would give 90% pierce.

Glad it's working out for you so far!
ign - happycabbaged
Last edited by happycabbaged on Mar 15, 2017, 2:15:48 AM
"
xDeicidium wrote:

I see.

Both skills are interchangeable but I'm worried about the passive skills. Is the Orb of Regret drop rate not that rare? or do I get enough refund skill points later?

I saw your vid and it seems like you're prepping up something before casting lightning strikes. Do I need those skills/items/etc to unleash more damage? and yeah, it's like LS with shock (more damage) vs FB with chill/frozen (more defensive purposes I guess).

I just got LS early on and I tried it in Merveil caves. I find that LS immediately disappears when it hit a wall. How do you manage to LS on close spaces like caves?

You'll get enough refund points probrably. But regrets are not that rare, you'll pick up several of them as well so don't be discouraged to try a few things with your character.

It was mostly just to demonstrate the build at it's full potential. They're mostly just gems you can get from the vendor or buy really cheap from someone. The flasks however are a bit more expensive but they're useful for taking down bosses faster. Lightning strike using this build will provide both shock as well as freezing (from hatred) so that's another advantage over frost blades.

That's one of the downsides to LS, its pretty annoying to use in closed areas. I guess you can just hold shift and spin around while attacking until everything is clear. Another option would be to use another skill. Wild Strike could work I think.
ign - happycabbaged
I need to test the PPAD gem and see how it works. With chaining I would assume the +40k-ish dps that it would add to my current gear might be nice. I guess you could always swap back in Melee Phys for bosses that you can't really get out of your face.

It looks like I would lose ~80k effective DPS swapping the 6L from Melee Phys to PPAD. And that is just on the front melee hit.

Do the projectiles also hit in melee ranged when targeting bosses? -- I guess I never thought about this and haven't really looked into the mechanics of LS.

Also trying to decide to 4L my VLS with LightPen. Do I need Enlighten on my Hatred/Purity -- Trying to squeeze EleWeakness in somewhere.

Thanks for the tips and guide, loving the build!

EDIT: Just checking numbers via Path of Building if curious.

EDIT2: With the dual-wield ToA, is it best to use 21/20 LS or 21 LS? Pierce will have an effect on the chaining I assume.
Last edited by Nighttblade on Mar 15, 2017, 10:31:00 AM
Hey guys, i've been using your guide from the beginning, but doing some research for deep knowledge (im just a newbie), i've finished finding this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5uj78oAiQ

Now i'm afraid, i don't have such free time to keep trying myself so, does anyone knows which one is better?

And if they're similar (yeah both use Lighning strike but think deeper!), in which things do they differ?

Thx!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info