After taking estrogen for three months!

I also admire the courage and I said so already - somewhere in between my crude jokes - but I can't shake the feeling undergoing surgery would be a radical version of the soul searching journey where people decide they want to travel the world to find themselves, but forget they are themselves anywhere they go.

In terms of journeys, it would be like going to Cambodia, burning your US passport and sending a bomb threat to Trump to make sure they'll never have you back. It might feel good for a while, then the dust will settle, reality will kick in and you'll still be you, although with a bit of a tan, a tattoo and an interesting tropical disease.

To paraphrase a bit of homegrown wisdom, no matter how much you turn around, your ass is always at the back.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jan 25, 2017, 2:58:27 AM
Wooooww. I did not read up over here because I had a fever over the past one to two days. Really wanted to thank all those who showed me support!

I will also take time to reply to some of the comments I found intriguing.
"
Bars wrote:
"
morbo wrote:
I just hope you thought it through extremely well, before switching to CI ;)

lolol

HEY

We all know CI>life...

ARE YOU IMPLYING TRANSGENDER IS BETTER THAN CISGENDER?

THIS IS CISPHOBIC! I demand my phallus back!

(or nerf Deadpeng, for balance!)

Well I guess I am playing more of low-life which is in a bad current state right now.

"
I feel really bad that you in the USA during all this. Come to Canada; we can trade clothes!!

♥ Wish you all the best in obtaining your goals and happiness

You're beautiful!!

There is actually a famous Canadian transgender woman. She is named Maya. Check out her Youtube account.
Hey OP i have a question. Probably You already answered it but i dont want to dig throught all topic.

In Your head what is the gender You think about The Self? He or She?
"
Deadpeng wrote:

Well I guess I am playing more of low-life which is in a bad current state right now.

wall of text

You know, the definition of a bad build has always been a bit funny to me. I've played some bad builds, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. They were slow and clunky, map bosses were a challenge, they didn't progress at the swiftest pace, they were entirely my own from the time I didn't have all that metagame knowledge in my head, and now that I think about it, it was great fun. Trite but true.

I remember one of these builds. It was a challenge to just make it work at low-level maps. I didn't have a five-link for the longest time. I was spamming fusings on a goddamned Voll's Protector, what felt like a million of them (over a hundred!), and one day it gave me the coveted five-link, and I felt like a kid with a new Christmas present. I wrote about my shitty build in the forum, showed it to other players and helped them make it work too, and we all squirmed and crawled through the mud of low-to-mid-tier maps, and it was all great fun. Trite but true. I quit the build when it finally started working well and I was oneshotting the entire screen with a click.

I've also played overpowered builds. I played a CI coc cyclone assassin when the Ascendancy classes started and I knew what I was doing, and he was like a bulldozer. He didn't need voll's devotion, didn't need to sack the chest slot for the other voll's, and he made the coc dischargers everyone was whining about look like a shitty secondrate build. Also, everything was automated. Whatever buffs or power charges I needed, they worked with CWdT and Herald + CoH setups. I simply had to run through the map, press a key for flickerstrike + fortify which teleported me with autoaim on a target, then mow the screen down in a second. I didn't need to think about buffs, juggle flasks or kite. He didn't exactly facetank stuff, because stuff died too quickly, he facesmashed it.

It was fun to make the build work, it was a thing of my own and certain parts were squeaky, there were issues to solve and some basic gear and levels to obtain, then one day I solved the equation. I had what I needed, and everything clicked. My assassin was steamrolling maps like a well-oiled machine. I was a god. What's more, I only had the most basic gear - a 550 ES six-link chest, semi-decent CI gear in the other slots, a barely passable Vagan dagger. There was a lot of room for improvement. I could become... even more of a god, I guess? God-emperor of the universe?

I played one day more and quit the league.

Was this build better?

Why did I play PoE for so long? To compete with the digital zombies? To climb the ladder? To have the shiniest stuff?

Pffft.

I played to pass away time in a pleasing manner. I knew the ladder and wealth rat race for what it is, and yet with time and knowledge about the game I was competing against no one. I was trying to make my builds as powerful as possible. They had to be automated, no unnecessary and annoying clicking, no timings and flask/buff management, they had to kill everything quickly, efficiently and without flinching - and they did, and I was bored out of my mind. Were my builds getting better over time?

I think they were getting worse. I was playing the game for some stupid arbitrary goal, not for the process itself. Trite, but true - and we keep forgetting that, over and over.

It's a bit counter-intuitive that things have to be difficult, and a bit frustrating at times, and the outcome has to be unsure, or we don't appreciate it. We have a natural tendency to look for the shortest path, and we forget the path leads to nothing. In fact, there's no path.

What's my point with all this?

Your build isn't bad. It's all in your head. You think the game will become fun if only you change your build, if you make it powerful, if you get what you always knew what you wanted, and I can't shake the feeling that's all a load of crap. Even if you get the shiny new gear and the powerful new build, it will still be you who is playing.

And there will be no respec points.

TLDR: I don't think having surgery will solve your problem. I don't think your problem is whether or not something's dangling between your legs. I think your problem is you hate yourself and are trying to escape from yourself and reality, but this never works. No matter how much you turn, your ass is always at the back.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jan 26, 2017, 4:18:13 AM
I wonder if Bars would walk into a church and try to convert the preacher to atheism.

See also: thread title.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 26, 2017, 4:34:51 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I wonder if Bars would walk into a church and try to convert the preacher to atheism.

See also: thread title.

There's a difference between taking estrogen and undergoing radical surgery.

Also, no. I don't identify as an atheist. I might try to help the preacher if he had a crisis of faith, though. Perhaps nudge him in the right direction. Hint that the inherent absurdity of organized religion doesn't necessarily mean there's no God. Tell him the state of confusion and uncertainty is closer to the truth than blind faith and certainty, and it might feel like crap, but he's on the right track and it won't always hurt so much.
Last edited by Bars on Jan 26, 2017, 4:49:00 AM
That's awesome Deadpeng. I hope things are going great for you!

"
Bars wrote:
TLDR: I don't think having surgery will solve your problem. I don't think your problem is whether or not something's dangling between your legs. I think your problem is you hate yourself and are trying to escape from yourself and reality, but this never works. No matter how much you turn, your ass is always at the back.

The medical data doesn't support that hypothesis. Transition and gender confirming surgery are generally accepted to be effective in reducing dysphoria.

You may be correct in that surgery by itself is not guaranteed to be a silver bullet, but then no one thing is. For example social factors play a big part in dysphoria and may not change based on the outcome of a procedure. That said, it seems overly reductive to suggest dysphoria is likely to be a form of self-loathing that will go away with enough soul searching.

It's also worth noting that trans people tend to have to go through a lot of gatekeeping to even get on HRT, so I'd expect at this stage low self-esteem has been ruled out as the only thing at play here.

Obviously I can't speak for anyone's particular experiences, I just thought it was worth having some counterpoints here.
Sure, I may be wrong. I'm simply advocating caution with an irreversible decision. If I'm wrong, the course can be adjusted - which can't be said for the other option.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info