How We Approach Console Development

After the dust settles, it will be just another realm, like China,and previously Russia. Realms that have nothing to do with the real servers.

This Manifesto addresses all my concerns. My faith in GGG's vision, is still unshaken.
God_of_Thieves_LLD_PVP__I hate the Labyrinth
Easily the most spin applied to a decision. This post has some of the most flawed logic of any decision as GGG has ever made and screams blatant sophistry. At this point, even just 5 pages in, there are enough reasonable holes poked into the basic principles that you've expounded upon that there's nothing left to do but spin, spin, spin. What a joke.
The tears on reddit and here as so sweet! Keep that content commin GGG. Thanks for all these great years and more to come.
Lmfao man you kids need to chill. Give it a year after the release and then judge. I've dumped thousands into this game but, in return, have gotten years of fun and good memories from PoE. Even if this port somehow fucks shit up all the good times I have already had is worth thousands more. I still got trust anyways.
GGG if you think the complaining out the trade system is loud on PC, wait until you get a load of it on XBO. We already have to go through a third party to conduct business only to get trolled, what will it look like on the counsel? Folks like fast and easy. You're going to end up making loot drop rates go through the roof or no one will be playing POE on XBO next year.

The trade system is actually what drove me to play mostly solo self-found and capping myself to t13 maps every league. In the end, I'm just waiting for an offline version so I can enjoy the grind lag/dc free.
"
Priz wrote:
I'm proud of you guys either way, feel bad that you have to take all the bitter responses.

Posts like these are actually what eventually kills most games,especially online ones because it means one of two things: Either you just don't care about the game,or you are sucking up for whatever reason.
People don't rage,they don't curse and display anger in other ways just because they want to feel badass or just fancy throwing an insult at GGG,they do it because they actually care,it's a form of display of passion for the game. Trust me,the real time for worrying will be when the complaining and raging stops,because that will be a sign that a whole ton of ''community'' has just stopped bothering or caring about the game.

Yes,a lot of us are bitter because while PoE clearly is a special kind of game for most of us,the issues and concerns are clearly there.

I don't really believe that the main issue people have is with GGGs inner workings with how they manage the dev team setup to adjust for both xbox and pc,or where the money came from to support such endeavor,it's arrogant to expect every dime you pay them to be invested in whatever you,as a customer believe to be the right place.

The concern is the simple fact that Microsoft is beyond infamous for ruining and in most cases eventually killing games that were originally developed for a different platform but for one or another reason decided to branch out.
There is no way in hell Microsoft approached them,which means that GGG did it and had to make them good enough offer in long-term to make it happen,and this is the scary part,because unless you are a tiny dev team developing a platformer or something there is no way you can keep both dev teams separate,so things like homogenization of PC version and delays of leagues and patches are a scientific inevitability,which brings me to my second concern - the obvious early damage control they are doing by promising something that simply won't be able to be delivered.

So go on and praise them,congratulate them,be proud - and get zero feedback from devs,because the only reason they bother responding,is because there are people passionate enough to flip out when they smell a possible issue.

No rest for the wicked.
"
Daiena wrote:
"
Priz wrote:
I'm proud of you guys either way, feel bad that you have to take all the bitter responses.

Posts like these are actually what eventually kills most games,especially online ones because it means one of two things: Either you just don't care about the game,or you are sucking up for whatever reason.
People don't rage,they don't curse and display anger in other ways just because they want to feel badass or just fancy throwing an insult at GGG,they do it because they actually care,it's a form of display of passion for the game. Trust me,the real time for worrying will be when the complaining and raging stops,because that will be a sign that a whole ton of ''community'' has just stopped bothering or caring about the game.

Yes,a lot of us are bitter because while PoE clearly is a special kind of game for most of us,the issues and concerns are clearly there.

I don't really believe that the main issue people have is with GGGs inner workings with how they manage the dev team setup to adjust for both xbox and pc,or where the money came from to support such endeavor,it's arrogant to expect every dime you pay them to be invested in whatever you,as a customer believe to be the right place.

The concern is the simple fact that Microsoft is beyond infamous for ruining and in most cases eventually killing games that were originally developed for a different platform but for one or another reason decided to branch out.
There is no way in hell Microsoft approached them,which means that GGG did it and had to make them good enough offer in long-term to make it happen,and this is the scary part,because unless you are a tiny dev team developing a platformer or something there is no way you can keep both dev teams separate,so things like homogenization of PC version and delays of leagues and patches are a scientific inevitability,which brings me to my second concern - the obvious early damage control they are doing by promising something that simply won't be able to be delivered.

So go on and praise them,congratulate them,be proud - and get zero feedback from devs,because the only reason they bother responding,is because there are people passionate enough to flip out when they smell a possible issue.

Easily the most important post that will be written in this entire thread.
"
ripnburn69 wrote:
After the dust settles, it will be just another realm, like China,and previously Russia. Realms that have nothing to do with the real servers.

This Manifesto addresses all my concerns. My faith in GGG's vision, is still unshaken.

the main difference between the two situations is that those separated realms were still using the exact same game as on the EU/US/AUS servers. having the russia and china servers didnt interfere with the design - past, present or future - of the game.

with the console version of poe coming into play, this changes, as I explained in my previous post on page 3. having two versions of the game that utilize different hardware and input device resources necessarily means that from here on out, GGG will always have a strong incentive to have any new mobs, skill gems, bossfights or league mechanics working with both versions of the game. otherwise, they would be wasting developer time and money.

thus, GGG will necessarily have a strong incentive to look at any ideas and any game design aspects for both versions of the game through the filter of "would it work on the console". despite their best intentions, this means that the pure existence of a console version necessitates a dumbing down and a casualization of the game which will also (negatively) affect us pc players.
Last edited by Black_Gun on Jan 18, 2017, 9:42:48 PM
yeah. this is only good news for the fans of PoE, and the makers of PoE.

A good announcement for sure.
This doesn't really address the true nature of the issue. A console version killing a PC version happens in more subtle ways than outright dumbing down and whatnot.

All future content (skills, boss fights, whatever) will be neutered given consideration of what will and will not work on the console version. For a basic example, there will never again be a precision-targeted skill like Lightning Warp because that doesn't work on consoles. Consoles require auto-targeting, beams, or AoEs around the character.

Notice that covers all the channeled skills? They were, in fact, all designed with consoles in mind.

Around the discussion table for the rest of the game's life, the team will come up with lots of great ideas, and all of them will be subject to the "Yeah, but what about Xbox?" question. Those who had the ideas will pause, say "Oh.", and go silent for a moment.

As we all should, I suppose, because this is the beginning of the end of Path of Exile.
https://redd.it/p0hyul

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info