How We Approach Console Development

i don't believe my support pack money was spend on a console version when the main game still have bugs/crash everywhere and don't have anything near a trade system...
sorry, but i can't support this game anymore.
"
Jfour wrote:
"
It makes more financial sense to hire people for such large changes if you're planning on capturing a whole new market.

When an "indy" dev is more concerned about financial sense than their games performance/playability, that's when you know they've lost whatever magic they once had.

GGG was an Indy studio maybe three or four years ago. They've been expanding and growing. They're now a small dev studio.

When dev studios expand, they generally take on multiple projects in parallel; there's diminishing returns to putting too many resources into one game.

I would much rather they expand in a way that benefits PC version than in a way that doesn't.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
2015 - 2017 no transparency
"
Vorthaz wrote:
"
Niustein wrote:
This doesn't actually address anything... "This definitely wont affect PC negatively at all" aside from how you've spent a large amount of money developing a console variant that didn't go to improving the many QoL things that plague your current playerbase as it stands.

I'm unconvinced that all the money you've spent on: "They were directly responsible for the massive improvements to frame rate, client load times, memory use, as well as the introduction of the 64-bit client, DirectX 11 renderer and new audio system." wouldn't have been improved if you had spent that money on people to fix the issues plaguing the current PC client.

I'm not holding my breath, and will of course be very happy at any PC optimization that does come out in the next league and into 3.0. But until that actually happens, this is very much just PR talk.

The post LITERALLY said that all the QoL improvements we HAVE been getting are a DIRECT result from developping the console port. That means it would not have gone any faster without the console port since those features were a necessity for it in the first place. Meaning they were top priority.
Do you have reading comprehension problems or you just really wanted to whine about something?

What if I told you, they could have improved performance WITHOUT a console port? And all those resources that went into a new console UI, new console balance, new console controller support, new console mechanics to work with fewer potions, a controller (as Chris said, skill will work differently) INSTEAD went into the PC version?

At this point, it's patently ignorant to believe that the console version did not take away dev resources that could have been spent on the PC version. We're still waiting on MTX stash sorting, trade improvements, something that has been asked for, by the community, long well before console development even began.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

I hate to break it to you Chris, but all your performance improvements still result in 0 frames for 10+ seconds whenever I use vaal cyclone in a breach.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
reserving judgment until more details are released. I'll never play the xbox version so the news isnt exciting, but i also dont feel like the money ive spent on tabs and mtx have gone to waste either since the current pc version is very enjoyable.

one possible bonus for us pc gamers than wont play console is that xbox may hold ggg to some industry standards that will hopefully transition over to the pc version, such as drastic performance improvements and cleaning up some poor ui features like the debuff/buff clusterfuck and minimap.
"
Suzim wrote:
i don't believe my support pack money was spend on a console version when the main game still have bugs/crash everywhere and don't have anything near a trade system...
sorry, but i can't support this game anymore.

You dont get it what Chris said ?! All last improvements to PC like DX11, better audio, and so on COMES FROM XBOX DEV TEAM!!! They directly move things from XB1 to PC! Its fucking amazing !!!
▒█▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀   ▒█▀▄▀█ G O O D MTX Seal of Quality
▒█▄▄█ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ ▀▀█ ▀▀█   ▒█▒█▒█ O Verified by M-posting, Inc.
▒█░░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░▒█ Y
Other ARPGs which you are familiar with, Marvel Heroes, had to vastly slow down players movement in order to port their game to console. Will the Xbox port have an effect on movement in PoE with players moving around the map at ever increasing speeds with skills like shield charge, whirling blades and lightning warp?

Also in a lot of the press for the last few leagues youve been stating how big GGG has become from where you started. Did the number of staff reflect the crew brought on board to work on an xbox port in 2015? Have all numbers been skewed since then?
Last edited by Byrr on Jan 18, 2017, 8:36:58 PM
"
Black_Gun wrote:
so, say you're in the dev meeting and one guy proposes a cool mechanic for the act 6 bossfight that would be really cool on the pc, but could never work on the console due to control restrictions - in this hypothetical situation, does
"
"The development and direction of the PC version has not and will not change due to the existence of the console version"
mean that you will nonetheless bring the cool boss mechanic to the pc version, even if it doubles the required effort and production cost of this bossfight? do you really want us to believe that you would't just dismiss the cool idea in that situation and try to look for another mechanic that works for both pc and console?

as others have said: for very simple and very basic reasons, you cannot and will not have two versions of the game that take on completely divergent paths. therefore, it is simply impossible for the existence of the console version to not impose a "glass ceiling" for the game design of both versions. although I absolutely believe in your best intentions, I see absolutely no way for the console version to not affect the monster, bossfight and skill design of the pc version in a negative way.

qouted for truth, this is sooo fucking sad... i sure wont support GGG ever again
Good that you're cognizant of these fears Chris. Cheers!
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info