How We Approach Console Development

"
TreeOfDead wrote:
I'm happy for GGG with this, but im scared that xbox will take a lot of players from PC...

Given the levels of elitism in the fanbase, I highly doubt most will even consider it. This will bring many more players, I bet, than it will transfer players over.

I bet GGG feels that way too, or else they wouldn't bother spending the money to do it, even if some 'help' is coming from MS*.

* I assume something like this must be happening in at least SOME fashion (free dev kits, at least?), since this and Grim Dawn are announced as coming to Xbox One/S/X, but not PS4/Pro or Nintendo-whatever.
"
SonicPLD2 wrote:
The best way to destroy some RPG is to "Adapt it" to console gameplay.
GGG - Mark my words - If You try 1 gameplay version for all devices - You can doublecross this game.

That's not actually true as a rule, it just feels that way because developers and publishers only port to console because they want more sales and then that is not good enough so they casualize it to get more sales on ALL platforms (yes, casualization also gets your WAY more PC sales - take a look at the ES games for an example and compare ONLY pc sales to see what I mean).

Also as a good example of this not happening is ES, funny enough - as Marrowind was not gimped because of an Xbox port that was known about earlier enough in development that it could of. However, and going on, Oblivion and especially Skyrim were. Pc users blame the consoles, but fail to see that vastly increasing PC sales as well.

SO, what I guess I am trying to say is that - you can only think that the xbox port will lead to casualization if you think GGG was going for that anyway and the port is just the latest sign of it.

If you feel that there is nothing else to point to, then you really have nothing to back up your concerns and thusly they are not worth having.
Re: PC Controller

I'd love controller support, but I can understand not doing that here.

With that in mind, I'd recommend:

Allow modifier keys. Modifiers would do nothing on their own, but could be combined with other keys like CTRL+J vs only pressing J. CTRL being the modifier if that's not obvious.

Also, let the player identify their modifier keys. Then, the player could even use F+D with F being their custom modifier.

This would allow much greater customization in how players use their existing controls, which would alleviate the requests for controller support (not eliminate, but alleviate).

Throw in the ability to map movement keys and you've got yourself some solid input customization.

I'm surprised modifiers and mapping movement keys isn't already in the game, but allowing the player to determine their own modifiers isn't something I've seen but have always wished for in games like this.
Last edited by MythicsMT on Sep 5, 2017, 3:57:09 PM
"
BINARYGOD wrote:
"
SonicPLD2 wrote:
The best way to destroy some RPG is to "Adapt it" to console gameplay.
GGG - Mark my words - If You try 1 gameplay version for all devices - You can doublecross this game.

That's not actually true as a rule, it just feels that way because developers and publishers only port to console because they want more sales and then that is not good enough so they casualize it to get more sales on ALL platforms (yes, casualization also gets your WAY more PC sales - take a look at the ES games for an example and compare ONLY pc sales to see what I mean).

Also as a good example of this not happening is ES, funny enough - as Marrowind was not gimped because of an Xbox port that was known about earlier enough in development that it could of. However, and going on, Oblivion and especially Skyrim were. Pc users blame the consoles, but fail to see that vastly increasing PC sales as well.

SO, what I guess I am trying to say is that - you can only think that the xbox port will lead to casualization if you think GGG was going for that anyway and the port is just the latest sign of it.

If you feel that there is nothing else to point to, then you really have nothing to back up your concerns and thusly they are not worth having.

I believe I was clear, and I think I can't get more clear than this one.
It is a perfectly compressed sentence, and essence of the whole thing.
I am rarely wrong ( as You can check my predictions on the forum. Management and programming is my life practically ).
I am not saying that this will be perfectly the case. But it is very likely, since with the great casualisation comes the great nerfing of the pro's, since the console's is more about do something fast, now and forget than think 3 weeks, and then change a single thing.
It will lead to more decisions related to decreasing the complexity, quality and strategic approach.
There is just not another way to get the console attention unfortunately or not.
After all this is the main reason to get a console instead of PC - the lower complexity, isn't it ?!
There is only 2 exit out of this - the console app will be brought to life and then will slowly fade away ( in 3 to 6 months ) or the game complexity overall should be decreased to match the need of the console players, which will lead to slowly fading of the hardcore fans and strategists.
On the other hand - the approach toward the controller as I said initially was my fear that Skyrim ideology will be brought upon us. And it's "Easy console gaming first", which practically destroy TES ( Skyrim is the worst and the stupiest of the all TES's ).
I see that You are pointing toward the fame of Skyrim, but You should agree that none TES have seen the advertisement efforts and resources spend in Skyrim. And we are not talking yet about the hype and the lack of serious game during the release of Skyrim.
But from the real hardcore RPG fan perspective - Skyrim is a doublecross as a quality RPG action adventure game. It's just "hack and slash, and don't think twice". It's stupid game with good graphic and overhyped approach.
Yes, maybe the consoles have played their part into this overhype, but this would rerely be the case in the PoE, since we have the product already. There is nothing to overhype the PC masterace here, and unfortunately it could only downhype, since we have observed countless rise and falls of "console adaptations", and currently I have zero labels on mind which went to positive results in a long run.
Anyway I have none bad feelings toward the console players.
I just have these fears that the efforts and resources spend to bring "consoles" to the world in here could finally catch "consoles first" illness and bury the whole game.
With the "1h 6L wipe" the PoE turns to a joke now.
There is no sane reason for one to play it any further.
June 2022:
"
It was introduced by some refactoring of the text engine in order to support the then-upcoming Xbox version of Path of Exile.

January 2017:
"
The development and direction of the PC version has not and will not change due to the existence of the console version.
Great work for console overall. With new consoles it brings the game run smoother than most of pc. Playing on the couch on a 65" tv is a smooth and chill environement that i prefer rater than playing on pc. I recommand everyone to try it. Now that pc have controller support, they should try it. Overall new consoles are a very good performant "pc" for cheaper. I'm pretty confident that the performance of xsx beat most of pc player performance playing poe on pc, but with a much smaller community, so way more challenging to play the game than softcore version of pc.

Enjoy playing guys.
STOP NERFING AURA

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info