How We Approach Console Development

Honestly, this sounds like a terrible move. I won't bother to elaborate why, because many people before me have already voiced my concerns in a more articulate way than i could. I fear for the quality and future of this game.
I don't believe you, GGG. How could I given that every major MMO type game that has gotten a console release after years of PC Development has drastically changed the PC client of the game - always for the worse. You've created one of the best MMO ARPG experiences of all time. Am I really suppose to sit here and believe that experience will not change with a console release? C'Mon now. Sacred. Sacred 2. Diablo 3. Even more recently with Marvel Heroes - all ARPG games that saw their PC clients drastically change for a console release or impending console release. All changes that made the game worse.

I'll remain hopeful that GGG will keep their word but realistically I'm not expecting them to.
"
This doesn't really address the true nature of the issue. A console version killing a PC version happens in more subtle ways than outright dumbing down and whatnot.

All future content (skills, boss fights, whatever) will be neutered given consideration of what will and will not work on the console version. For a basic example, there will never again be a precision-targeted skill like Lightning Warp because that doesn't work on consoles. Consoles require auto-targeting, beams, or AoEs around the character.

Notice that covers all the channeled skills? They were, in fact, all designed with consoles in mind.

Around the discussion table for the rest of the game's life, the team will come up with lots of great ideas, and all of them will be subject to the "Yeah, but what about Xbox?" question. Those who had the ideas will pause, say "Oh.", and go silent for a moment.

As we all should, I suppose, because this is the beginning of the end of Path of Exile.

qft, exactly what I was saying.

my main hope is that GGG will simply leave out certain skills and boss mechanics that dont work on consoles from the console version, but nonetheless deploys them on pc. but even then, the focus going forward will always lie on things that work for both versions, which equals compromising future pc content with the limitations of a console.
Last edited by Black_Gun on Jan 18, 2017, 10:09:44 PM
gutted. It completely makes sense that they will hold back on all content that won't work on consoles from now on. I'm holding my breath on this one, hoping this isn't the end. This is my favorite game..
"
Vorthaz wrote:
"
Niustein wrote:
This doesn't actually address anything... "This definitely wont affect PC negatively at all" aside from how you've spent a large amount of money developing a console variant that didn't go to improving the many QoL things that plague your current playerbase as it stands.

I'm unconvinced that all the money you've spent on: "They were directly responsible for the massive improvements to frame rate, client load times, memory use, as well as the introduction of the 64-bit client, DirectX 11 renderer and new audio system." wouldn't have been improved if you had spent that money on people to fix the issues plaguing the current PC client.

I'm not holding my breath, and will of course be very happy at any PC optimization that does come out in the next league and into 3.0. But until that actually happens, this is very much just PR talk.

The post LITERALLY said that all the QoL improvements we HAVE been getting are a DIRECT result from developping the console port. That means it would not have gone any faster without the console port since those features were a necessity for it in the first place. Meaning they were top priority.
Do you have reading comprehension problems or you just really wanted to whine about something?

You have to either be A) delusional or B) retarded to believe what you wrote in "That means it would not have gone any faster without the console port since those features were a necessity for it in the first place."

Do you honestly believe that the PC iteration of PoE would not be in a better state if instead of having this dx11 team work on a console port, they hired people (with equal knowledge of dx11) to work on improving the current game?

Porting a game takes MASSIVE time and effort, a lot of which PC players will never see because it was spent developing things for the console. That's why a lot of people are upset about it. You're taking likely thousands of man hours (before it's even released) to make this port that could have been focused on the PC version of the game that wasn't.
The most important thing to me is that the developement of PoE will be done without considering the flaws consols have. For example interesting skills that require specific targeting and thus cannot be used on consols.

Also picking up items and similar things seem to be quite hard on a consol, so I hope PoE uses all the advantages a PC has to over specifically using more keybindings and more prcise controls.
Can we at least get an offline version of the current version of the game or something before this becomes an unplayable Diablo 3 clone? Id pay money for that.
"
Wertlok1111 wrote:
The most important thing to me is that the developement of PoE will be done without considering the flaws consols have. For example interesting skills that require specific targeting and thus cannot be used on consols.

Also picking up items and similar things seem to be quite hard on a consol, so I hope PoE uses all the advantages a PC has to over specifically using more keybindings and more prcise controls.

Sorry, but this is exactly the point, the development of poe will now be done with considerations to consoles.. RIP
gaem is
Spoiler
ded
"
Chris wrote:
When we started our Xbox One project in 2015....
  • The fear that development resources would be spent on a version of the game that didn't directly benefit that player.

We hired new team members specifically for the the console project.

It's your job to spin the PR in your favor, but the console version is literally the worst thing you could have announced for the game, and you contradicted yourself in your post right away as seen in the quote. Glad to see my money has gone toward funding the absolute last thing I'd spend money on: consoles. Greed, as usual, has won the day. Enjoy your fat paychecks.
(2-3-2019) Buff underused skills (3.23?!)+ selfcast, stop nerfing defense, build in threshold jewels (3.23?!), implement D3-style looting, add death log + MTX preview, actually rework flasks, stop balancing around the .01%, unnerf Harvest, ADD NEW WAYS TO LEVEL, finally implement Loot 2.0

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info