[2.5/2.6] Beginner's Elementalist Dual Flameblast Totems

Yeah, the weaknesses were all in positioning and me being over zealous. I was running T11-12 maps last night with ease. Will be running this as my league starter this time around. Thanks kindly!
What would you change if it turns out the AoE nodes just aren't worth it anymore?
How does this build compare to selfcast Flameblast Totems? Honestly, please. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1744618/page/117/#p14246939
"
Amivit wrote:
How does this build compare to selfcast Flameblast Totems? Honestly, please. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1744618/page/117/#p14246939

Self cast flameblast can be scaled to do more damage and you get to control when the flameblast goes off. Downside is you are standing still while channeling.

If played to top level I would say self cast would be better, but totems are much MUCH safer for those of us without lightning reflexes and vast game knowledge...at least that is what I have seen so far from playing around with both builds between leagues.

Totems will often distract enemies, you can continually move around the screen while dropping totems, totems allow you to run elemental reflect maps easier since the damage is reflected to the totems and not you, etc.
Hey, you named your build "beginner's", but i think this is also excellent starter for experienced players.

I played dual flame totem builds, but never pizza sticks, so i decided to use your concept in my Legacy witch.

The only thing i plan to change is definitively going for Whisper of Doom. It's do close that this is simply pain in the arse to not get it (i can handle a little less life easily, even with 1st league char).

Anyway, great job and great guide for new players :)
After hearing the good news about pizza sticks, I decided to use it as a league starter (original, I know). Anyways, a lot of the league starer builds are all life and that's understandable. I'm just wondering if you have a CI Tree to go with this version, probably switching to around lvl 60-70 or act 3 merc.

Thank you.
I'm experimenting with using Soul Mantle for this build. Since this grants a lvl 20 Spell Totem it frees up a gem slot for an additional support gem for flameblast, but i can't decide what i would put in the additional slot, any suggestions?
Last edited by Brasan9 on Mar 4, 2017, 9:49:54 PM
Hello, I am beginner and I'm wondering if Doryani's Invitation is a good belt for this build?
"
Amivit wrote:

Mr. phopper answered this perfectly. Self-casting FB can have a tremendous amount of damage, particularly with the double-dipping effect you can have massive burn damage which is significantly higher than what we can achieve with our totems. Plus you can couple it with the Cloak of Flame, which provides great offensive and defensive properties, with the downside of having very low ES.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Cloak_of_Flame

Self-Cast is something I would generally recommend for more experienced players, perhaps those who have played through a few times. SC FB can be augmented greatly by having good game knowledge; manipulating mob AI, leading them into a well played FB, clever use of Elemental Proliferation, etc.

But, as Mr. phopper correctly points out, it's not nearly as defensive and even with the elementalist node that reduces reflect damage, elemental reflect will still likely one-shot you if you've done a good job of scaling the damage.

Here's a fantastic video of someone playing SC FB extremely well back in Perandus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQi7YKPPz_Q&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately he didn't make it to 100, but he's an exceptional player who has very good character awareness, knew when to release his blasts and where, and was extremely fast moving from pack to pack. Unfortunately, Cadiro (see Perandus League wiki) giveith but also takeith away!

(It should also be noted relative to the video above that this was before the nerf to the elementalist conflux notable. It was significantly stronger upon its introduction.)

"
deeveejay wrote:
Hey, you named your build "beginner's", but i think this is also excellent starter for experienced players.

I played dual flame totem builds, but never pizza sticks, so i decided to use your concept in my Legacy witch.

The only thing i plan to change is definitively going for Whisper of Doom. It's do close that this is simply pain in the arse to not get it (i can handle a little less life easily, even with 1st league char).

Anyway, great job and great guide for new players :)

Very glad you liked it! Thank you for the kind words! :)

I'm using it myself and just hit 73 in HCL, but haven't been able to play as much as I'd like, but hopefully can get either to 90 or close to it tomorrow. Nothin' fancy, but it works!

"
Kojack37 wrote:
After hearing the good news about pizza sticks, I decided to use it as a league starter (original, I know). Anyways, a lot of the league starer builds are all life and that's understandable. I'm just wondering if you have a CI Tree to go with this version, probably switching to around lvl 60-70 or act 3 merc.

Thank you.

Hello Mr. Kojack!

I made mention of this in my response to Mr. LryxnIa on page 4. I did include two trees, but a CI variation isn't something I've given any significant thought toward, as generally if you're going CI, you're probably not a beginner and if you have the gear, there are more powerful CI builds that I would probably run, personally anyway. :) If nothing else, I hope the trees give you a rough idea of a decent starting tree for CI FB Totems if you decide to go that route!

"
Brasan9 wrote:
I'm experimenting with using Soul Mantle for this build. Since this grants a lvl 20 Spell Totem it frees up a gem slot for an additional support gem for flameblast, but i can't decide what i would put in the additional slot, any suggestions?

Hello!

That's a very interesting choice! I can't say I ever thought of it! Not bad at all, sir.

Hmmm.... I would probably guess something like Increased Burning Damage or maybe even a 20 quality Added Fire Damage if I'm being quirky. We don't scale a ton of burning damage but it would be a big boost as we do deal a fairly large hit. Or if you really want to crank it up then you can pop in a Level 3 or 4 Empower Gem, because spell gems scale massively with added levels. :)

"
TakeItEZ wrote:
Hello, I am beginner and I'm wondering if Doryani's Invitation is a good belt for this build?

Hello Mr. take!

Unfortunately Doryani's main attraction of elemental leech damage wouldn't apply to you but rather to the totems as they are the ones doing the damage. So it wouldn't provide you with any unique benefits.

Hope that answers your question all right! Good luck and welcome to PoE! :)
"
omnilynx wrote:
What would you change if it turns out the AoE nodes just aren't worth it anymore?

Ack! Missed your message in my consolidated reply, my apologies.

Well, from what I've seen playing this build so far this league is that the difference doesn't appear to be massive. Though, I did not test it out sans an AoE cluster to see how much I would lose by not having them.

The main attraction in addition of getting the AoE Nodes (and some Area Damage, too!) is we can also get some added life/mana in the nearby Heart and Soul cluster.

If we could forego an AoE cluster then, off the top of my head, I would say you might still want to get the 30% Area Damage total in that cluster right by the Witch's starting point, but can maybe skip out on the rest, and use it to either get more fire damage perhaps pathing up to Heart of Flame and/or some more life by going down grabbing Heart of the Warrior (and possibly Warrior's Blood). You might even consider trying for Totemic Zeal or Ironwood. Entirely up to you! A few good options are available to you. Hope this helps!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info