[2.6] CI HoWA ST - Uber / Shaper / Guardians Down - Budget Friendly?

anyone tried point blank support gem vs slower projectile for boss / single target encounters ?

isnt point blank gem better ?
"
hyfred wrote:
anyone tried point blank support gem vs slower projectile for boss / single target encounters ?

isnt point blank gem better ?

Read the point blank section in the original post. Should answer your question
So I hit 46k DPS with GMP in hideout and 11k ES. I think if I got more ES on my gear I could make my tree more offensive to actually hit 50k but it's a real struggle. I have some insane gear.

gear
Can someone help me as to why my tooltip dps is so low compared to OPs? I mean i do good enough damage overall but it looks like i'm missing out on a ton of damage somewhere

Mine vs OP
Spoiler

Gear if it matters
Spoiler

I'm on a 5L but he has lightning penetration for the 6th which doesnt change tooltip dps
mmy int is 1119 and lvl 82 (there's not much left to get at that point, lvl 90 would get me like 6 int travel nodes) so i feel like i'm missing out on something obvious.

The build is crazy even with this problem, very nice life leech with a massive aoe = never drop below half health. super good for breaches
So i've tried this build now. I played a Blade Flurry and KOTF before and thus far i have to say, even tho both of my other characters had really bad equipment, both of them were better in any kind really. Better survivability, even tho life based, better clear spead and better single target dmg while beeing more mobile because you don't have to directely be in front of the boss because of the slower target proj. I only heard good stuff about howa from everywhere quite literally but i have to say i am really really really disappointed in this build. I wish i stayed with KOTF.
Last edited by GeronimRoeder on Jan 22, 2017, 2:25:43 AM
This build is awesome...

Just posting another update on my gear. Please note the skyforths are a negative switch out compared to a pair of rare boots just wanted to use them as they were a goal of mine to hit for this league and finally earned enough currency to straight up buy them thanks to this build.

Here you go, my gear:

Spoiler

41k dps in hideout with golem + auras. I had it up to 46k before using skyforths, but the extra damage is not needed at all in my opinion having a blast.
Oh and btw i cannot imagine playing with slower projectiles. I don't know what it is or if its bugged for me but i feel 90% of my projectiles when i have slower projectiles in are not hitting at all and the speed at which it attackes it 1000% waaaay slower than GMP and that doesn't make any sense. Also my character moves 2-3 steps after every single projectile which makes this so unplayable. I don't know what it is but this is one ofthe big reasons why i have such big problems with bosses because i can never play with the damage i am supposed to have.
Last edited by GeronimRoeder on Jan 22, 2017, 5:17:09 AM
"
Oh and btw i cannot imagine playing with slower projectiles. I don't know what it is or if its bugged for me but i feel 90% of my projectiles when i have slower projectiles in are not hitting at all and the speed at which it attackes it 1000% waaaay slower than GMP and that doesn't make any sense. Also my character moves 2-3 steps after every single projectile which makes this so unplayable. I don't know what it is but this is one ofthe big reasons why i have such big problems with bosses because i can never play with the damage i am supposed to have.

Slower Projectiles is just for boss killing. It does a ton more damage than GMP.

A typical use of slower projectiles is close to within melee range of the boss, drop you Ancestral Protector, get curses going and pop all your buffs (Vaal Haste, Atziri's Promise, Vessel of Vinktar). Your goal is to kill the boss very quickly and thanks to the huge damage you're doing, out-leech the boss' damage to survive. Longer fights will obviously involve variations on this tactic - possibly needing to move out of one-shot mechanics and possibly needing to time Vinktars/Vaal Haste to do max damage/leech at the correct time(s).

Anyhow, SP is totally different than GMP - SP is melee, high DPS. GMP is typically ranged, lower DPS.
I'd like to discuss Slower Projectiles vs Point Blank support gems raised previously by hyfred.

As just mentioned in this thread, Slower Projectiles is used in melee range, i.e. the same range to get the best out of the Point Blank support gem.

With this being the case, we can focus on the numeric values of each gem at 20/20:

Slower Projectiles Gem:
29% more projectile damage
10% increased projectile damage (quality)

Point Blank Gem:
50% more damage (at melee range - Point Blank keystone mechanic)
38% increased projectile damage (gem)

So in the scenario that this build uses Slower Projectiles, by using Point Blank support gem, we gain:
21% more projectile damage
38% increased projectile damage

And to top it off, the mana multiplier is even less in Point Blank's favour, 120% vs 140%.

Am I missing something? I've not used either gem, so is there some difference in the mechanics that makes Slower Projectiles preferable?
"
DoomLegion wrote:
I'd like to discuss Slower Projectiles vs Point Blank support gems raised previously by hyfred.

As just mentioned in this thread, Slower Projectiles is used in melee range, i.e. the same range to get the best out of the Point Blank support gem.

With this being the case, we can focus on the numeric values of each gem at 20/20:

Slower Projectiles Gem:
29% more projectile damage

Point Blank Gem:
50% more damage (at melee range - Point Blank keystone mechanic)
38% increased projectile damage (gem)

So in the scenario that this build uses Slower Projectiles, by using Point Blank support gem, we gain:
21% more projectile damage
38% increased projectile damage

And to top it off, the mana multiplier is even less in Point Blank's favour, 120% vs 140%.

Am I missing something? I've not used either gem, so is there some difference in the mechanics that makes Slower Projectiles preferable?

Spectral throw hits twice - once on the way out and once on the way back.

If you're at point blank range the first hit is 50% more but the return hit is probably under a rather large damage penalty. Mathil's assessment of the point blank keystone was that it was hard to tell whether or not damage had gone up or down. Since the PB gem is competing against a definite 29% more damage from SP, it's almost certainly a DPS loss to equip PB in lieu of SP.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Jan 22, 2017, 7:53:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info