A Preview of Content Update 2.5.1 - Divination Cards and 3D Art

"
I'm actually waiting for a comment from GGG on this.I Refuse to play a game that depicts the Son of God as a liar and thief. If u got the balls to put something like that in game I'd like for you to acknowledge it publicly.

I did warn you, GGG, that someone would be offended.

I like all the cards but it doesn't take a genius to see that someone might be offended because of the way classical art has depicted Christ. I actually thought we might hear from Catholics complaining about the denigration of saints (I grew up with a lot of them).

Please, people don't make fun of religious people. Its not nice. We should respect their views even if we disagree.
Censored.
The Saint's Treasure - so how come ProjectPT got featured on a card?
"
Andrew676 wrote:
Good work GGG!

BUT

Do something intresting for FEMALE characters! Scion, Witch

+1

Need microtransactions for female characters, most are for the male characters.

Also Scion looks really depressed, Ranger looks like a man, Shadow is hunchback, Templar looks like he needs a cast for his arm.

Please update.
"
I'd like GGG to clarify if " the saint's treasure" was meant to degrade Jesus Christ. If so I would like to see this art removed as it would be extremely offensive to me . Me and several other longtime members/ supporters would be forced to uninstall. I'm not a prude and am not easily offended but this would be crossing the line.

"
I'm actually waiting for a comment from GGG on this.I Refuse to play a game that depicts the Son of God as a liar and thief. If u got the balls to put something like that in game I'd like for you to acknowledge it publicly.

Holy shit dude, It's a bearded man with a halo, there's nothing to actually tie it to Jesus apart from a passing resemblance to the western christian depiction of him. But this is a video game that takes place in the imaginary world of Wraeclast. You say you aren't easily offended but you're clearly making a very hard stance regarding a very small image.

Halos have been a part of the religious iconography of many groups, and it was borrowed by Christians (much like they borrowed pagan holidays and traditions).

Check Wikipedia regarding halos. Combine that with Path of Exile's general religious fanatic and corruption themes and you get the picture. Getting offended by something in a game that bears a passing resemblance to something you hold sacred is exactly the type of closed mindedness and reactionary outrage that has given religions in general a bad image in recent history. Maybe you should take a step back and think about why the idea that a corrupt fictional religious figure in a make believe universe is offending you. Maybe you're just attaching external criticisms of religion (or specifically Christianity) to this image, and putting too much meaning behind it.

There's no Christianity in Wraeclast, there are demons, devils, and the corruption of what starts as pure and pious as a theme. Dominus is literally the high templar of the only real religion we have exposure to in wraeclast apart from vague paganism and the names of the Karui Gods. Additionally, even if it was a more direct slight at a Christian figure, why is it so offensive that other people have a different opinion of religion than you? Not everyone believes Jesus to be the son of god, so why would you expect him to be treated with reverence by anyone who doesn't share your specific belief system.

To give you some perspective (reality-check) GGG has clearly made a world where awful giant abomination gods, ghostly hauntings, sinful magicians, and corrupt 4 tittied demi-gods are the status quo. You've been looking at POE for 5 years; looking at Temples full of blood, undead archbishops, Undead templar emperors, Human Slavery and Sacrifice, ritualistic demon summoning from corpses and this small image offends you because you've drawn the conclusion that now GGG is directly insulting your religion... It's pretty clear that religion in Wraeclast is very different than the real world, and any similarities are coincidental or purely interpretation.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being religious or being a serious Christian, but if you've been okay with everything in Path of Exile up to this point then what makes this so much worse? You aren't under attack, and if you're going to uninstall the game because 1 image offends you, then you should unplug your TV because South Park insults christianity, and you shouldn't read the news because editorials might have anti-religious themes, and don't you dare talk with any non-christians (or worse... people from other religions) because they might have ideas that don't comply with your world view.
CharanJaydemyr:some people need to really rethink how they spend their money....I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle...I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one. Not GGG's finest hour.
poeurl.com/bD4E
Last edited by RichMoney on Dec 20, 2016, 3:05:09 PM
I approve this 3d art.
Your missing the point. I merely asked for clarification on whether the maker of this card meant for it to depict Jesus Christ or not. If not than clear up the waters by saying it was meant to just be a corrupt religious figure and has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. If u can't admit it's atypical artwork that resembles Jesus Christ you are in denial.
I have no problem with a game that has evil in it.God created the world we live in today evil, and demons included. Nothing in the game so far has come close to blasphemy against the person of Jesus Christ till this card.
"
Your missing the point. I merely asked for clarification on whether the maker of this card meant for it to depict Jesus Christ or not. If not than clear up the waters by saying it was meant to just be a corrupt religious figure and has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. If u can't admit it's atypical artwork that resembles Jesus Christ you are in denial.

If you can't admit that you're being easily offended based on something relatively benign then you're in denial. It doesn't matter what the intention is, because you've already decided that you want to be offended. If GGG says "yes" then your offense is justified in your mind, and if they say "no" then you'd probably think they were just trying to backpedal after offending you. The fact that it's such a big problem for you in the first place regardless of the intent is my point, which you missed.

"
I have no problem with a game that has evil in it.God created the world we live in today evil, and demons included. Nothing in the game so far has come close to blasphemy against the person of Jesus Christ till this card.

Blasphemy is something that is only relevant internally for a religion. Every religion is blasphemous to every other that doesn't worship the same exact god by definition, as each religion clearly has a lack of reverence for gods that they deem false.
You state the fact that "Jesus = Son of God" like it's a fact that everyone in the world should accept and respect, but you're being blasphemous to Jews, Muslims and everyone else by making that claim. You've already decided that it's an insult to Jesus regardless of the intent, so either get over it or make good on your claim that you need to uninstall. Preaching here and making a religious stand does nothing beyond belie your own self-righteousness and lack of perspective, while simultaneously embarrassing people like me who have a respect for christian and other religious traditions and practices.

Edit: For some further perspective. Halos are simply an artistic interpretation of holiness. The halo originated from the Pre-Islmaic Iranian faith of Zoroastrianism. They believed in a "Divine Favor". was represented by a ring called the Hvrena which was given to the king by their gods, but if the king displeased the gods, it was taken away. This ring was guarded by the god Mithras, who was the god of Daylight. When Zoroastrianism migrated into the Roman Empire in the form of Mithraism, the Hvrena was depicted as a halo on the head of Mithras. Christian practices were evolving at the same time, so artists would have been familiar with the halos in Mithraism. In the Roman Empire, it was common to practice multiple faiths, so there was often a sharing and crossing over of traditions. Halos were not not used in Christian art until Mithraism was almost extinct around the 4th century AD. By a strict interpretation one could argue that Halos are blasphemous within Christian artwork as it implies a divine favor from another god to show holiness based on the history of the halo itself.
CharanJaydemyr:some people need to really rethink how they spend their money....I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle...I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one. Not GGG's finest hour.
poeurl.com/bD4E
Last edited by RichMoney on Dec 20, 2016, 3:26:40 PM
"
RichMoney wrote:
"

If you can't admit that you're being easily offended based on something relatively benign then you're in denial. It doesn't matter what the intention is, because you've already decided that you want to be offended. If GGG says "yes" then your offense is justified in your mind, and if they say "no" then you'd probably think they were just trying to backpedal after offending you. The fact that it's such a big problem for you in the first place regardless of the intent is my point, which you missed.

That's incorrect. This card only offends me if it's directed towards Jesus Christ who led a sinless life . If it's just meant to signify a corrupt religious figure I have no issue with it . Corruption in the name of religion has always existed and sadly is commonplace.
"
On Topic: Nice cards. Seems interesting to add prophecies to cards as another way to get them. Also thumbs up for the card tab upgrade.

+1
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info