[2.5] CI Witch Scorching Ray CWC Whispering Ice - Version 2.0 Released - Now with more damage!

"
Mathoddie wrote:
"
dsimek11 wrote:

Yep I know I should change helm and gloves, but currently it's to expensive. and what ring enchantment do you recommend? And I just wanna say, I've never been this far in the game, that tells you what a build you have here. how are other guardians compared to Mino? he fell pretty easy but I knew his mechanics

I have only killed hydra besides Mino so far, he was a bit toughter than Mino. He keeps moving around and such.
I was cursed temp chains and vulnerability, but still managed to get him. Can't wait to face the others!

Nice, congrats, two down. :)

Could you just elaborate your playstyle now? you self cast orb of storms for curse and you throw lightning trap or? that takes a lot of precious time if it's that way..or the trap is cwdt? oh and the ring enchantment? don't have a clue what to put

EDIT: tried tul domain once again, couldn't make it on time. this doesn't make any sense.
Last edited by dsimek11 on Dec 19, 2016, 11:48:49 AM
"
dsimek11 wrote:
"
Mathoddie wrote:
"
dsimek11 wrote:

Yep I know I should change helm and gloves, but currently it's to expensive. and what ring enchantment do you recommend? And I just wanna say, I've never been this far in the game, that tells you what a build you have here. how are other guardians compared to Mino? he fell pretty easy but I knew his mechanics

I have only killed hydra besides Mino so far, he was a bit toughter than Mino. He keeps moving around and such.
I was cursed temp chains and vulnerability, but still managed to get him. Can't wait to face the others!

Nice, congrats, two down. :)

Could you just elaborate your playstyle now? you self cast orb of storms for curse and you throw lightning trap or? that takes a lot of precious time if it's that way..or the trap is cwdt? oh and the ring enchantment? don't have a clue what to put

EDIT: tried tul domain once again, couldn't make it on time. this doesn't make any sense.

I self cast orb of storms on exiles/bosses etc. I still have my CWDT Ball lightning also for curse (running a 5 link chest atm), I only throw lightning trap on bosses (self cast).
Regarding the enchant, I just realised only prefix is open, and the only prefix we need is flat ES, which it already has, so nevermind that.

Unlucky on the tul run :/ I never had any time problems in the breaches I've been running
Last edited by Mathoddie on Dec 19, 2016, 11:55:20 AM
I've switched from normal WI to this version and I'm loving it. I hated being "cast locked" with WI and this lets me be a much more in control duder-man.

I will voice my support for the Unwavering Stance build since my #1 cause of death is being stun locked / interrupted while channeling in the middle of a horde. Getting interrupted hurts us a lot since we have to wait that .35 seconds before we get another cast out of WI.

Using Brute Force jewels for the unwavering stance str nodes really takes the sting out of needing to use them for which I am grateful!
TabSluppins - Pizza guy
Hey there - been playing this build and it's a lot of fun. No issues killing stuff, able to tank most stuff pretty easily. I am in A3 Merc and am right around the time where I want to switch to CI. I've never played a CI character before, so I'm a little fearful.

I recall reading in other threads that you should aim to have around 4K ES when you convert over. I am only able to get up to about 2800 with Discipline on. Think that's sufficient to swap over to CI or am I asking for trouble? Also, do you (or does anyone) recommend banking some points so when you pick CI you can pick the nodes beyond it in the talent tree so you switch to CI and immediately boost your ES?
"
Mathoddie wrote:
"
Elf_97 wrote:
Hello Matthodie,

I see you swap the controlled destruction gem for elemental focus that make our fire damage no burning.

Why ? Just for the 5 % more more damage we gain with elemental focus and to proc a bit more often Elemental overload notable passive?

We lose burning, chill, freeze and shock effect i think ?

Hello!
The only real thing we lose from swapping this around is the burn, which was a minor damage dealer, due to it not stacking, we hit a lot of small hits (my tooltip can currently get to 11-12 k with buffs), so it will only do 2200-2400 damage per second before modifiers (too lazy to calculate it right now).
If you read my Conclusion in the patch notes you can see we gain a lot more than just 5 % damage:

Spoiler
"
Mathoddie wrote:
Conclusion
With Vaal lightning trap we are now able to shock EVERYTHING (even bosses), unless they are immune to status alignments, and proc Celestial Punishment.
What we gain:
- 5 % more damage from Elemental focus swap with Controlled destruction.
- Double the uptime on Elemental overload (5.1 % crit to 10.2 %)
- Shock on all bosses! 3 traps with 8.84 second duration (perfect for 3 atziri split phases)
- 25 % fire penetration from Mastermind of Discord (without losing shock + celestial punishment, we lose a little damage from burn)
- We can proc mastermind of discord with vaal lightning trap and orb of storms

We do not loose freeze, since shaper only chills and doesn't freeze, but our icestorm already leaves chilled ground. We lose shock for trash packs, which isn't needed at all, and we gain shock on end game bosses, which, after testing, shaper of desolation couldn't provide us with.

Thank you for your time, i love this build !
Update on a breach timer thing, that must've been a bug. tried two more times and everything went smooth, ended up having a minute of spare time. I literally changed nothing. so, idk what hapend but it fixed itself. tul and xopx down. fun fun fun

EDIT: Esh is also down, but HUGE advice, don't go without the right flasks on esh, i sure did and he took me out a couple of times. can be done deathless but I didn't know the fight mechanics and went in like a total noob without any ligtning flasks. goddamn this build is strong, took the advice and linked Orb of stormes, put elemental focus and vaal lightning trap and went mastermind of discord. Got to get used to it now but it is stronger.
Last edited by dsimek11 on Dec 19, 2016, 4:57:37 PM
SO just hit 83 and so far downed atzri, all the breach bosses except chayula . and can solo t14 maps realy damn fast. Im realy liking the build and plan on sticking and min maxing the hell out of it.

So far my gear is

What do you think I should upgrade next im looking towards boots or helm to try and max out more int on gear im over 1 k int atm and rockign 10444 es. Im down to help others as well I played a good amount with this build already and tried just about every variation amounting in about 90 regrets so far haha.
I like orbs
Hi, I was wondering why Scorching Ray isn't 4-Linked with CWC + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus. Brings the mana cost up to 24, still manageable, but SR gets a huge buff in damage at next to no cost for the Icestorm (took out Fire Pen).
"
AceLegend90 wrote:
Hi, I was wondering why Scorching Ray isn't 4-Linked with CWC + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus. Brings the mana cost up to 24, still manageable, but SR gets a huge buff in damage at next to no cost for the Icestorm (took out Fire Pen).

There are a few reasons why this isn't the optimal choice:

The math part

Scorching Ray DPS = 5000
Icestorm avg. damage = 10.000 (just to make it easier)
Critical strike chance = 10 %
Our fire penetration = 30 % (mastermind + 5 % skill tree) 54 % (with scorching ray fully stacked)
Our targets Fire Resistance:
1) 0 %
2) 50 %
3) 75 %

Controlled destruction = 45 % more modifier (level 21)
Fire penetration = 38 % (level 21)

1) 0 % resistance (mostly white trash mobs)

Controlled destruction puts us at 14.500 avg dmg
10.000*1.45 = 14.500

With 30 % Fire pen (schorching ray wont stack up on white trash)
14.500*1.3 = 18.850

With fire Penetration we have 68 % fire pen (92 % with scorching ray)
10.000*1.68 = 16.800 damage

Controlled destruction wins

2) 50 % fire resistance (bosses/rares and such/map mod buffs)

Controlled destruction:
We have 30 % fire pen with CD, so the mob still has 20 %, so we do 80 % of our damage:
14.500*0.8 = 11.600 damage

Fire penetration:
We have 68 % fire pen, so the mob has -18 %
10.000*1.18 = 11.800 damage

Fire pen wins

3) 75 % fire resistance (Buffed bosses/map mod buffs etc. We can probably stack scorching ray here)

Controlled destruction:
54 % Pen with Ray still leaves the mob at 21 % resists.
14.500*0.79 = 11.455 Damage
Without Ray the mob has 45 % resist
14.500*0.55 = 7975 Damage

Fire pen:
After 92 % pen the mob has -17 %
10.000*1.17 = 11.700 damage
Without ray the mob has 7 % resist
10.000*0.93 = 9300 Damage

Fire pen wins

Other Reasons
The numbers are small in difference (except the last part without ray) but controlled destruction also halfs our crit chance, giving us less elemental overload (40 % more modifier) which is a major damage boost. And we get a higher mana cost, that might be managable, but still higher.
Got back after not playing for a while and wondering how do we deal with freeze? Are status ailments no longer based on hp?

Are we only reling on flask with remove freeze or is there something im missing?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info