[outdated] King of the Forest (Crit version)

"
Watipah wrote:
I'm loving this Build.
Hit lv 70 and am clearing T12-14 Maps with 5 Links.

I bought 5L-Reach but I have to say it's far far lower dps (esp. single Target)!
It's still amazing on outdoor maps (don't have dying sun yet which should make Reach clearly better for AoE clearing).

Death's Opus is better for single Target though. And becomes even better the more Arrows you get from gear.

tldr:
- I suggest Death's Opus as Weaponswap for single Target (esp. Guardians, Atziri, Shaper).
- Use Reach for Mapclears
---> get your chest for other things like wither totem or use Kaoms ;)

This is false. DO is a 200 dps bow. Reach is a 300 dps bow. The additional arrows do not make each arrow weaker (it's not like each arrow hits for 25% of its damage, while DO hits for 50%.

Moreover, Barrage doesn't displace it's arrows like LA; they are all tightly packed together. So with Reach, you get an additional 2 arrows in each volley hitting your single target. Not sure how you came up to the conclusion that DO can even compete with Reach, but DO is a leveling bow, not an end game bow.

Lastly, your bow skills get better with additional arrows, it has nothing to do with your bow. If you fire off a single arrow for 10,000 damage, having two arrows means 10,000*2.
Deliver pain exquisite
"
"
Watipah wrote:
I'm loving this Build.

I bought 5L-Reach but I have to say it's far far lower dps (esp. single Target)!
It's still amazing on outdoor maps (don't have dying sun yet which should make Reach clearly better for AoE clearing).

Death's Opus is better for single Target though. And becomes even better the more Arrows you get from gear.

tldr:
- I suggest Death's Opus as Weaponswap for single Target (esp. Guardians, Atziri, Shaper).

This is false. DO is a 200 dps bow. Reach is a 300 dps bow. The additional arrows do not make each arrow weaker (it's not like each arrow hits for 25% of its damage, while DO hits for 50%.

Moreover, Barrage doesn't displace it's arrows like LA; they are all tightly packed together. So with Reach, you get an additional 2 arrows in each volley hitting your single target. Not sure how you came up to the conclusion that DO can even compete with Reach, but DO is a leveling bow, not an end game bow.

Lastly, your bow skills get better with additional arrows, it has nothing to do with your bow. If you fire off a single arrow for 10,000 damage, having two arrows means 10,000*2.

More like 210 vs 290, but whatever.

Also, Opus is not a leveling bow, 150% crit multi is fairly massive. It competes very well with Reach. I don't agree with his single vs multi target statement, but you're grossly undervaluing Opus and overvaluing Reach.
El Psy Congroo.
due to the high crit multi on opus, it actually is very comparable to reach, because this build doesnt get much multi on tree/gear elsewhere

to all the Cospri's Will users:

I thought maybe it can be good to use asenath's gentle touch as a glove. it offers decent stats (life and int) and the temp chains is a good curse actually for prolonged poison duration, aka a dps curse as well as defensive.

if you can corrupt it with vuln on hit, that will be very very good, and you dont need the second curse on blasphemy/you can even run a 3rd curse then. Just wanted to share this idea i had.

"
@cmphx,

Spoiler
OK, so love the build but have made a few changes to tailor it to my kind of playstyle. The two areas I focused on where upping attack speed (I find the higher the AS, the better archers typically feel) and accuracy. You sacrificed a lot for just up front damage, which I like, but the build felt very sluggish coming from my 3.6 AS DeadEye, especially with the slower arrows. I hate missing so outside of gear, I tried to drive it up as much as possible. Ultimately I'd like to re-spec into Deadly Draw and out of Depth Perception, but will need better gear. I'd like to take more jewel nodes as well, but need decent jewels for that.

Here is my existing tree: LINK

I path a little differently but the stat changes aren't as drastic as they first appear. The following has changed (comparisons made at both level 92):

Me: 413 dex | 185% life | 139 ER | 94 life | 826 acc/dex | 148% acc | 442% crit C | 149% crit X
You: 293 dex | 200% life | 123 ER | 92 life | 586 acc/dex | 60% acc | 353% crit C | 109% crit X

As you can see I trimmed back a bit of HP for some more damage. I came from a rippy glass cannon DeadEye so going from a 120k tooltip TS to a 25k tooltip felt rough :3

My gear is as follows:
Spoiler

I ran with Alpha's because I had it laying around with that lab enchant (and it's worth something like 20ex so I had to make use of it lol). Even if it was a white helmet, the damage increase from that modifier is just too good to pass up. But Alpha's is a decent helm thank goodness and it's added cold resistance helps a great deal in overcapping. The mana reserve reduction allows me to switch up links a bit and run Arctic Armour, HoI and Grace with plenty left over so I don't really need any mana regen on gear or on the tree. It's a decent trade off in losing 16% attack speed (not great, but decent).

With regards to the links, I have never found IC and CWDT useful for ranged heroes. Especially evasion based characters that rely heavily on avoiding damage. And IC without any ECs is painfully short, even with the increased duration, which is additive and does little to extend the uptime of IC. So I hooked in a CoH with HoI and tied it to Warlord's Mark (a setup I used on my DeadEye with great success). Because we are crit based, we shatter just about anything that isn't a boss. That means that after the first pack on a map, we essentially have 3 ECs, giving us a nice 12% physical damage reduction, and a boost to our resistances. Tie that together with AA and you have a decent amount of physical mitigation, even when you're mobile. Having none (I believe we cap out at about 2-3% physical damage reduction) means getting wrecked by corrupted blood and chaos lanterns. I just hate getting shredded out of nowhere, so that was aim one. AA is a workhorse but I felt it ran a little light.

The secondary links are set up with CWDT and Cold Snap, which as a 30% chance to freeze at any level. Keeping CWDT at level 1 means it's up even on low level maps. It won't help much in a boss fight, but in mapping, it gives terrific CC (on top of HoI, which chills if it doesn't blow them up first). I stumbled upon the combination a few days ago and been having terrific success with it!

Another change I made was to run with 3 FCs. I can see the value of 4, but I opted to get my ramp up time as short as possible and only swap in Frency for boss fights. For general mapping, Blood Rage is more than enough to keep those FCs up. After the first pack, you have your 3. Profit.

I also swapped out LA for TS. Reach is a terrific bow that provides a free GMP. And TS is one of the hardest hitting single target bow skills, so why not use it to clear? We also don't have to worry about elemental reflect either (it does however take some of the sting from physical through the phys to lightning conversion). LA has some great CC, but TS just fires off arrows everywhere, whether you miss or not. It's also a lot more fun to play for me. I find LA to be very flat and boring, with occasional moments of "oooohhhh". TS just has a more visceral feel to it with explosions and arrows filling up the screen. So satisfying. It even makes a decent boss killer for <T14 maps.

I'll attach some details of my stats below. These were taken without any auras, no golem, no buffs of any kind from my hideout using the tree and items above.

Spoiler
Defensive stats (no auras, no buffs of any kind, in hideout, 10% additional movement speed from boots enchant)

TS 6L (no auras, no buffs of any kind, in hideout)

BA 5L (no auras, no buffs of any kind, in hideout. 6L would be RD which doesn't affect tooltip anyway)

Anyway thanks again for posting your build. I tried like hell to make my crazy DeadEye work but you just can't hang in high end-game with 4.5k life and a rippy build that gets one shot from a random reflect monster. Archers are strange to build because there are so many damage nodes open to us, but if we take them, you will never have the defenses to support that level of output. A stark contrast to my EQ Juggernaut that has 8.5k life and I can't find a single worthwhile damage node that is available lol.

PS: One thing I should point out in your tree is that you took the 3 nodes to get to Piercing Shots obviously because you want 100% pierce and have a +1 Drillneck. For those that don't, they only need to take the first two nodes as Drillneck as the 10% additional pierce as it's implicit. Players can basically save another node here.

thx for this detailed report :D you made some good points there and im glad you could modify the build to your own style/needs, thats exactly what i hoped people would do !

"
Hultan wrote:
Respecced my zerker according to your char "bigpurplebrah" and with 2 5L, non chaos dmg jewelry, im doing shit damage...can you please take a look and let me know what I am missing? Char name is "Obucata"

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAAHcAx4FLQW1DjwRLxQgFE0UcRR1Fr8YkRjbGlUhYCGQI_YkNyW8JpUqWyyFMHwyfjY9Nug6Uj38QzFDNkZpR35NklBHUUdS7Fb6WGNYr1oaXz9f0GEhYeJirGRSZU1oZWyMdO108XXLdoJ2rHfXd-N5aHn2eu982X8rggeE2YTvhmCMz419jX6Nv52qqKKpbqr4tMW00bVIt7a8n702vqe_CMEEwdjC7MMzxtjIDM9-1CPWitl82sHbT9-_4MPqEOoY6mLrY-8O8932SPcy-F_46_xL?accountName=Hultan&characterName=OBucata

Thank you!

not sure what you mean, that character has no items anymore, and you also didnt copy the tree correctly, check again

"
rectance wrote:
Hello !

First of all thanks for the amazing guide, I'm pretty new to the game but this is definitely the build that has brought me the most fun.

I'm starting to have an okay cospri's version going on and would like some advice on the next steps.

Do I enchant +add chaos dmg to these rings I just bought ? They're pretty low damage but I'm capped thanks to them.

Should I focus on getting better rares as a whole, so I can get rings with more damage ? There's a lot of room especially on the gloves, they're all I could afford at the time.

Or should concentrate on the + arrow items ? I'm sitting on enough currency to buy either a +1 drillneck or a dying sun flask.

Thanks for the time !

Spoiler

your gear looks good, dying sun is the best dps upgrade. craft the rings only if you dont plan to get any better ones in a long time, otherwise its not worth it

"
Fedega wrote:
What do you think about Vertex Mask and put auras in? (with +2 barrage) or alpha howl

its good, but personally i think rats nest, devoto, or a rare evasion helmet with life are better choices

RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
Just wanted to say thank you for this Build!

ive played a lightning arrow/blast Rain build from the Ranger forum first and it was completly waste vs this one!

Just killed the Shaper - no Problem :) (switched in the Wither/Spelltotem)

thumbs up for the creator!
"
HendrikKlima wrote:
ive played a lightning arrow/blast Rain build from the Ranger forum first and it was completly waste vs this one!

The same here - Voltaxic Pierce one, right?
While Deadeye has perfect clearspeed (more than this one, if honest) it has nothing to offer for solo targets.
I even tried to switch Blast rain for Barrage with the same gems, etc. It is just weakier as hell even with the ~ same tooltip damage.
I'm Russian and I love it.
Auctioneer House - just MUST be here! Most of sellers do not reply, not even talking about AFKers and offliners!
"
cmphx wrote:

your gear looks good, dying sun is the best dps upgrade. craft the rings only if you dont plan to get any better ones in a long time, otherwise its not worth it

Thanks for giving it an eye ! Now that I have
should I go better rares or +1 drillneck ? I could have more resistances on gloves and boots so that I can get a pair of +%chaos diamond rings, but I don't realize for sure how OP +1 arrow is in comparison.
"
cmphx wrote:

"
Hultan wrote:
Respecced my zerker according to your char "bigpurplebrah" and with 2 5L, non chaos dmg jewelry, im doing shit damage...can you please take a look and let me know what I am missing? Char name is "Obucata"

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAAHcAx4FLQW1DjwRLxQgFE0UcRR1Fr8YkRjbGlUhYCGQI_YkNyW8JpUqWyyFMHwyfjY9Nug6Uj38QzFDNkZpR35NklBHUUdS7Fb6WGNYr1oaXz9f0GEhYeJirGRSZU1oZWyMdO108XXLdoJ2rHfXd-N5aHn2eu982X8rggeE2YTvhmCMz419jX6Nv52qqKKpbqr4tMW00bVIt7a8n702vqe_CMEEwdjC7MMzxtjIDM9-1CPWitl82sHbT9-_4MPqEOoY6mLrY-8O8932SPcy-F_46_xL?accountName=Hultan&characterName=OBucata

Thank you!

not sure what you mean, that character has no items anymore, and you also didnt copy the tree correctly, check again

Yes, i respecced again a lvl 90 shadow to follow this tree/build closely. I have around half of your damage from your 5L screenshot :(

Still dont understand why the huge difference...its a bit better than the zerker, but still waaaaaaay behind you.

Here is the tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAQBeAdwDHgUtBbUHmQguDPINjRCSES8UIBa_GY4fQSF2I9Mj9iaVKlsrCjB8MfoyMjWSNj031DnUQzFDNkd-Sn1Mjkz_TZJOKlBHUUdS7FVLVYVW-lnwW69d8l5FXz9h4mKsZU1qjGwIbIxvO3BScbB07XXLdf1293fjeA15aHn2eu99dX8rhG-EooTZhs6HdonTjDaNfY1-jb-S852qoJ-i2aXLqKKpbqr4sNi0xbVItfK3trxvvTa-p8AawQTBM8HYwuzIFMjw037UI9RC2L3ZhtrB2-fjn-pi62PtP-2D7g7vDu968Yr1b_rr_MX-ug==

Char name is Tristu.
"
rectance wrote:
"
cmphx wrote:

Thanks for giving it an eye ! Now that I have
should I go better rares or +1 drillneck ? I could have more resistances on gloves and boots so that I can get a pair of +%chaos diamond rings, but I don't realize for sure how OP +1 arrow is in comparison.

better rares first

"
Hultan wrote:
"
cmphx wrote:

"
Hultan wrote:

Spoiler

Thank you!

Yes, i respecced again a lvl 90 shadow to follow this tree/build closely. I have around half of your damage from your 5L screenshot :(

Still dont understand why the huge difference...its a bit better than the zerker, but still waaaaaaay behind you.

Here is the tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAQBeAdwDHgUtBbUHmQguDPINjRCSES8UIBa_GY4fQSF2I9Mj9iaVKlsrCjB8MfoyMjWSNj031DnUQzFDNkd-Sn1Mjkz_TZJOKlBHUUdS7FVLVYVW-lnwW69d8l5FXz9h4mKsZU1qjGwIbIxvO3BScbB07XXLdf1293fjeA15aHn2eu99dX8rhG-EooTZhs6HdonTjDaNfY1-jb-S852qoJ-i2aXLqKKpbqr4sNi0xbVItfK3trxvvTa-p8AawQTBM8HYwuzIFMjw037UI9RC2L3ZhtrB2-fjn-pi62PtP-2D7g7vDu968Yr1b_rr_MX-ug==

Char name is Tristu.

jewels, gem levels, chaos % on jewlry, crafted added chaos on jewlry, it all adds up. also you didnt pick the duelist mana/life leech hybrid node, which is a huge miss, you need that or you will run out of mana all the time
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
"
Patchumz wrote:
"
"
Watipah wrote:
I'm loving this Build.

tldr:

More like 210 vs 290, but whatever.

Also, Opus is not a leveling bow, 150% crit multi is fairly massive. It competes very well with Reach. I don't agree with his single vs multi target statement, but you're grossly undervaluing Opus and overvaluing Reach.

Wow I can't believe I rounded 210 down to 200 and 290 up to 300. I must have my head up my ass! Lmao. Really dude, GROSSLY under and over valuing. Did that 20 dps trigger you? How about 210 vs 370 for a legacy Reach? And even at 210 vs 290, that's about a 27% increase in raw deeps. Plus two more arrows. No man, Reach is the best bow in the game rn. Even mirrored bows can't touch it on account that it has a built in GMP without any drawbacks.

And FYI, highest DO on PoET is 205. Highest Reach is 372.

DO is like what Hezmata's is to Disfavour, it's a solid axe, but it can't touch Atziri's weapon of choice. The crits DO brings to the table are nice, but Reach brings mad dps and AoE alongside it.
Deliver pain exquisite

On a side note, nobody likes this helmet? I discovered it totally randomly and have been rocking it since. Gives a good chuck of accuracy and deeps alongside it... and a respectable life roll.
Deliver pain exquisite

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info