"GGG considers it impossible for melee to reach t15 "

"
Fruz wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:

I'm not going to argue with you all fucking day dude. The damage can be done. Any bear with some combo of vuln curse, crit aura, phys aura, on a map with some combo of crit, extra damage, vuln will one shot most characters that don't have several stacking phys reductions active. It's a fact.

Whether you can find the video or not IDK, pretty sure it was willywonka or maybe colbycheeze or something but I'm not going to spend more than a few minutes and I haven't found it, but it's out there.

That the top tier maps with the most nasty set of mods on a deadly ( and then double deadly ) colossal bonestalker could hit for 10k+ without mitigation, I can believe that ( but you can get 40%+ phys mitigation without armor ).

And if you approach a monster under a crit totem in a map with nasty mods .... that's either brain farting, or stupidity, honestly.
It's asking for getting multiple crit in a split second.

OK so you agree to the premise now that:
1. OHKO can exist outside of the OP's described situation
2. It can potentially apply only to melee

Great we are making progress with you. Maybe we can have actual discussion now.

So the issue here is that melee gets shit on a lot. It is well known to most players. Please understand the position that people who ACTUALLY TRY TO PLAY MELEE BUILDS COMPETITIVELY in leagues are stuck in, which is that they simply can't do that the way GGG has designed their game currently. Well, outside of EQ and maybe reave or something (big maybe even on reave).

And this thing about the 12 damage nodes, that's no straw. You think it is because you play meta builds, try something for me. Take a shadow using viper strike, or dual strike, or double strike, or etc single target melee gem only trading using POE.trade using loot YOU FOUND ON THAT CHARACTER (no bullshit 15ex gear from your BV pathfinder or your buddies), and level that dude to 90 as if you were doing it in a new league. It will change your fucking perspective on POE.
In other words you will quickly realize you'll be lucky to spare 12 damage nodes and pick anything in your ascendancy besides survivability and utility, if you can even survive T10 maps with that much. And your damage will have a REAL HARD TIME getting past combos like that with life regen or similar mod...simple stuff like that.

I'll say it again, I watched hegemony make a viper strike using tons of exalts of gear he found from another (meta) character, and he cleared pretty fast... using shield charge... on his viper striker. And only had 8k es with some evasion. Wonder what would happen if he was doing the OP's fight using that build for the first time? Rofl.
Oh and btw, it wasn't from lack of effort or skill on Hegemony's part.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Sep 28, 2016, 10:46:38 PM
I said without mitigation, of course there are things can OHKO you without mitigation.
But there are couple of flat % mitigation items and mechanics are basically required for melee ( Now is that a good thing ? I'm not so sure. )
And if you use them = it's not OHKO.
If you go in melee when there is more than 1 very dangerous mob in melee range, that's a THKO potential, definitely.

I play anything but meta builds, I dislike fotm, I am playing KB atm, the thing that many consider dead because no more frost wall exploit, my first range in a long time.

My previous one was a melee caster basically, and I wasn't getting shit on by single mobs ( I was avoiding the village ruin duo like the pest tho as an example, because two quick hits and that's over, but the chicken too, not just melee. The excavation bosses too as another example, because you know ... there are 3 ).

So yes, there are many situation were it sucks to be melee, a lot, but it ain't OHKO out of the blue.

And your viper strike example is irrelevant here, it ain't a debate on which skill are good and which aren't, viper strike is not in a good place that's not new honestly ( maybe GGG wants it to be single target tho, not sure).

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Having thought about it some more, I think the single biggest problem with short-ranged skills in this game is untelegraphed enemy damage, particularly in close quarters. This displaces my old #1 of ranged AoE dominance.

Let's put it this way: can you build a tanky ranged character? Sure you can. Glass is also an option of course.

Now imagine a glassy melee character. You get in at the right time, you hopefully do enough damage to score a kill (or several), if some live you dodge back out of the way before you take any damage. No defensive investment is required for such a build to work on a broad conceptual level.

Can you build a glassy melee character in PoE as it is now? Not a chance. Getting close to enemies means inviting yourself to a smorgasbord of instant, untelegraphed damage. The only way to avoid it is to not choose a short-ranged skill in the first place.

OHKO is really beside the point. Big or small, it's damage ranged doesn't have to take at all, and all melee can do is invest and invest in mitigation while NEVER getting it down to the 0% (well, maybe 1%) untelegraphed damage ranged takes.

So really, the OP typifies precisely what is wrong with melee in Path of Exile. "Oh, you could have avoided it. It was telegraphed." Yes, it was... in the sense of "melee this and you die."

This game shoves long-ranged gameplay down its players' throats... and some in this thread have gleefully echoed this sentiment.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 29, 2016, 12:29:53 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Having thought about it some more, I think the single biggest problem with short-ranged skills in this game is untelegraphed enemy damage, particularly in close quarters. This displaces my old #1 of ranged AoE dominance.

Let's put it this way: can you build a tanky ranged character? Sure you can. Glass is also an option of course.

Now imagine a glassy melee character. You get in at the right time, you hopefully do enough damage to score a kill (or several), if some live you dodge back out of the way before you take any damage. No defensive investment is required for such a build to work on a broad conceptual level.

Can you build a glassy melee character in PoE as it is now? Not a chance. Getting close to enemies means inviting yourself to a smorgasbord of instant, untelegraphed damage. The only way to avoid it is to not choose a short-ranged skill in the first place.

OHKO is really beside the point. Big or small, it's damage ranged doesn't have to take at all, and all melee can do is invest and invest in mitigation while NEVER getting it down to the 0% (well, maybe 1%) untelegraphed damage ranged takes.

So really, the OP typifies precisely what is wrong with melee in Path of Exile. "Oh, you could have avoided it. It was telegraphed." Yes, it was... in the sense of "melee this and you die."

This game shoves long-ranged gameplay down its players' throats... and some in this thread have gleefully echoed this sentiment.

Yes pretty much this. I don't think anyone's as gleeful as you might think though.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info