Hacked Accounts

"
rickrock wrote:
So many people got hacked today and its our fault? Sure...

Is there something implausible about it?
IGN: Xilfie
Last edited by Illyasviel on Feb 20, 2013, 10:26:50 AM
I got hit. I won't lie, I'd love recompense but understand the ramifications so won't demand it. None of the points outlined in the Account Security and Theft Policy thread apply to me: I've not registered to any fan websites much less visit them; combing through my browser history reveals no anomalies of phishing sites; and the only things I've downloaded in the past two months are the PoE installer, last.fm installer, and v1.31 and v1.41 of the Unofficial Offline Skilltree Calculator (which, if malicious, surprises me for having been stickied so long). Running scans reveals nothing wrong, my system looks as clean as can be, but since sheer Common Sense™ can only go so far, I do realize I'm not infallible.

I won't ask for the items back but what I can ask for at the least is peace of mind that whenever I start investing time again I won't just lose the progress. I could deal with the desyncs and navigating the quaintly archaic trading system because the bigger picture was more important -- I haven't been this invested in a game in virtually years. Minor details. But losing everything, even just a couple weeks in frankly fucking sucks and is really discouraging. I guess I can take some solace that my characters are intact but still, here's to Chris and the team until tighter security measures are implemented because I need a break.
my account have been hecked less the 16o hours ago!
i lost all my valueable staff(chaos orbs,archemy orbs,etc...)pls do something abaut it!

thank you in avance for your help.
"If you're worried about having your items stolen and you have not run any strange software, just change your password, don't click weird links and don't use the same password on other sites. That's what I do and no one has hacked my account yet."

This is exactly what ive always done, and this is the first time someone has ever breached my account anywhere, and I have been playing stuff online for a few decades. My characters are now in default league and my stuff is gone, thanks. (this is on you're side, im 99.9% sure)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Last edited by CrazylikE on Feb 20, 2013, 10:40:19 AM
"
rickrock wrote:

Yes, it is. And the fact that people like you are denying it without any kind of argument to back it up only proves your ignorance. As Chris said, why didn't any devs get hacked? Why no big streamers? Why is there rarely a case of somebody with tons of currency being hacked? It's because those people are usually somewhat intelligent, and they understand at bare minimum the basics of security. You should learn some of that stuff too. Because it only ever seems to be the IT illiterate being hacked.

And some advice, buy a stateful firewall, encrypt your entire PC in AES, use multiple good AV, connect to the internet through a VPN when need, and of course, use common sense. And there you go, you will never be hacked again.
"
Illyasviel wrote:
"
rickrock wrote:

Is there something implausible about it?

Yes. There is also something missing from the explanation we were just given.

This whole line of "if they were really hacking accounts they would have done me and kripp, it's mainly medium to low level accts" thing is completely off base. It implies that the only way sessions could be hijacked is for specific accounts to be targeted.

If someone was sidejacking sessions by intercepting session keys, they wouldn't be able to target specific accounts. They would be sidejacking random sessions, which on average are....... you guessed it; low to mid level accounts.

He could be right, I don't know. It just seems presumptuous to blame it all on users and virtually rule out the possibility of anything else.

Last edited by MonstaMunch on Feb 20, 2013, 11:28:53 AM
More importantly, important information like this should be passed on to the player in-game too, not only the forum. It is truly stunning to see players like me delivers information like this to fellow players, not the Mods/Devs that are obviously more suited for informing players of things like this.
"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
"
rickrock wrote:

Yes, it is. And the fact that people like you are denying it without any kind of argument to back it up only proves your ignorance. As Chris said, why didn't any devs get hacked? Why no big streamers? Why is there rarely a case of somebody with tons of currency being hacked? It's because those people are usually somewhat intelligent, and they understand at bare minimum the basics of security. You should learn some of that stuff too. Because it only ever seems to be the IT illiterate being hacked.

And some advice, buy a stateful firewall, encrypt your entire PC in AES, use multiple good AV, connect to the internet through a VPN when need, and of course, use common sense. And there you go, you will never be hacked again.

Wow dude, relax. We want some answers, you know? Not, its your fault and now live with it. Never got hacked in 10 years of online gaming. Password i used was safe and i only used it here.
For those of you who use the same passwords at every site and want to be more secure, there's an easy way to use a different password at every site - ensuring that a password cracked on a site will not affect others - and keep them ALL memorable.

How? Read this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/252024/create_a_different_secure_easy_to_remember_password_for_every_site.html

Quite simple really. Take certain bits of the url of the site you're currently using and add them to your password, creating unique password. Note that you don't have to follow the example given above, try making up your own ways!

For example:
First letter of the url, first consonant, first vowel, last letter
First word you see on the website
Add these characters to the location 1, 5, 6, 8 in your password - not just the start
Press ctrl-u and open up the source. Take the 3rd line, 3rd character, 4th line, 4th character, 5th line, 5th character and place them into your password.

Be creative!
I have never played Diablo 2 or Diablo 3...

I have played FATE and it's successors, though, and I'm told it's similar to Diablo.
"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
Chris, did you not say before that you track every item? Would it not be very simple to delete all of the items removed from the account, from the system, then restore them on the original account? I don't see the logic in not doing that, as it would be very easy to automate it, even somebody who hadn't been hacked could use it and nothing would change, the economy would remain the same. Besides, it's permanent leagues, the economy gets fucked up with time no matter what.

Also, the morons claiming Chris is condescending and just blaming them and saying GGG hasn't done nothing wrong, are hilarious. They are so stuck-up and ignorant, they deserve to be hacked tbh.

This guy has some point in here.

This way, no one lost anything except the hacker. Economy stand strong, the player gets his all items back, and the hacker gain nothing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info