Hacked Accounts

Yes they skipped my level 5 witch who had some yellow items on her. I was also using a yahoo email for the game. most gems were left, aside from any qaulities adn drop only.

I decided not to quit, mostly because I really like this game and have a fun time raising characters up, but if they had fully cleaned me out I probably would have stopped playing because it would just be far too overwhelming. It's bad enough that I have to farm my way back up now. (already did this when CB ended and OB began)

I am a bronze supporter, and while I know other people have donated far more than me, and I expect no special treatment, I was planning on buying a new supporter pack when they came out. Now I am not so sure. I really don't want to pay another $50 or maybe even more just to have my account pillaged again in a few months. I took the precautions someone above mentioned, made a more secure gmail account, but I am beyond paranoid now.

I love this game, and I know the Devs work very hard to make it fun and enjoyable and I usually agree with the changes they make, or can at least accept they are for the greater good. I will not beg for my stuff back, but I will certainly advocate that security needs to improve (Chris has already said they will continue to work on this, so thank you for that Chris) and also advocate for users to make brand new emails and passwords for this game.

After reading Chris's posts more carefully here I believe my email was probably taken many years ago when my facebook was broken into, a fact I forgot about until today. I had changed the password there, but it is very likely my old password for PoE was the same they used to get into facebook. Who ever stole it back then just sold it off to someone now.
I can see your / Back is turned and / If I could I'd / Stick my knife in.
Crawl Away, TOOL

Don't get hacked. Make a new email for your account and use a long password.
Last edited by Xalmaren on May 20, 2013, 8:08:27 AM
hi, I am also worrying about the safety of my account, so I wanna ask some questions here ( I dont know whether this is the right place to ask or not :P )
I'm using gmail as game email, and already set up 2-step notification. From another location, without my phone no one can access my gmail. Without my gmail no one can access my game account.
It sounds safe, isnt it? What think should I do more?
Prophecy: Vietpoe_yamchi
"
Quirom wrote:
hi, I am also worrying about the safety of my account, so I wanna ask some questions here ( I dont know whether this is the right place to ask or not :P )
I'm using gmail as game email, and already set up 2-step notification. From another location, without my phone no one can access my gmail. Without my gmail no one can access my game account.
It sounds safe, isnt it? What think should I do more?

Use a unique password that you don't use on any other sites. Also, make sure the password is long and let it contain at least one digit. Try using whats called "catch phrases" rather than passwords. They're safer and easier to remember.

Ex: Overtherainbow5, Havesomehoney1, Mydogiscool212

Hope this helps :)
Hey guys, first and last post here. Just wanted to let you all know that, after never using a 3rd party website in any game I have ever played including this one, I have been hacked and completely stripped of all my weapons and currency. I most likely did not have close to the amount of items you all have (character 53,40,16) and have only been playing for about a month. I guess it can happen to anyone!

I was pretty amazed how unreceptive chat was when I mentioned I had been hacked (mostly followed w/ "lols", "haha", and a bunch of "your fault"). Who knows, maybe they assumed I had used a 3rd party. It's sad when you log on and see you have nothing! I just wanted to throw this out there as a warning. It is an amazingly fun game, much better imo of the other options out there. Me personally however, after losing everything and seeing my characters stand there naked, I just don't have the heart to start up all over again.

Time to hit the gym early I guess! Gotta love those deadlifts!
Well ever since my bro got hacked, I've gotta say. It's the way that we all log in that makes us vulnerable. I'll bet this forum shows in your profile, your email which is USED TO LOG IN. That's a freakin' terrible idea. Make it a username that only you can see that will never get leaked. It's just stupid that they can crack two different passwords with a one-two swipe like this. They'll get in your email, get the code to unlock it. Get your stuff, delete the code email, and it'll look like they never touched your email.

Sneaky. Easiest fix? Make it so we log in with a username not our emails. Logging in with the same thing used to crack the code to log in from a different place is just plain insane.

Not well-thought out was it?
"
Bormor wrote:
I was pretty amazed how unreceptive chat was when I mentioned I had been hacked (mostly followed w/ "lols", "haha", and a bunch of "your fault").

We will see if they laugh when the time comes that they too are victims of this loophole...
So I was hacked, quite surprising since I haven't logged in in quite a long time and my password is quite hard to guess with numbers, I'm going to go ahead and assume it was infact you has been compromised, I honestly didn't think I was ever going to play this game again, but i read up on the new patch and was excited to give it a try again, well it doesn't look like that is happening.
"
valarias wrote:
So I was hacked, quite surprising since I haven't logged in in quite a long time and my password is quite hard to guess with numbers, I'm going to go ahead and assume it was infact you has been compromised, I honestly didn't think I was ever going to play this game again, but i read up on the new patch and was excited to give it a try again, well it doesn't look like that is happening.

You are wrong. I read your thread and with all due respect you have only average knowledge of computing. GGG have some people with good knowledge on the matters, so you are many many many times more likely to be at fault than they are.

GGG's systems (computers) are also better configured. They log a lot more than you do and therefore can check to see whether they have been compromised.

No one hacks accounts by guessing passwords. There are many ways that hackers might try to gain access though. Firstly your machine could have malware (AV programs are not foolproof and you do not know how to thoroughly check your system). Or, another device which you use for that email account might have malware (possibly a phone, but more likely a PC). Or you may of told someone your password.

There are many possibilities, but at the end of the day the fault lies with you and if you cannot even accept that then you will change noting and it will happen again in the future.
"
hzflank wrote:
"
valarias wrote:

You are wrong. I read your thread and with all due respect you have only average knowledge of computing. GGG have some people with good knowledge on the matters, so you are many many many times more likely to be at fault than they are.

GGG's systems (computers) are also better configured. They log a lot more than you do and therefore can check to see whether they have been compromised.

No one hacks accounts by guessing passwords. There are many ways that hackers might try to gain access though. Firstly your machine could have malware (AV programs are not foolproof and you do not know how to thoroughly check your system). Or, another device which you use for that email account might have malware (possibly a phone, but more likely a PC). Or you may of told someone your password.

There are many possibilities, but at the end of the day the fault lies with you and if you cannot even accept that then you will change noting and it will happen again in the future.

Wow! Arrogant much?
SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS
"
hzflank wrote:
"
valarias wrote:

You can believe whatever you want, at the end of the day there is no point in me lying I will not receive my items back, and just an FYI I am a Front End Web Developer with knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP, and although these are considered light languages it does give me a decent understanding of programming.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info