Season One, Race Event 14: Three Hour Party

although this will be ignored, I'd like to suggest that for future events you put in a couple of points for players who participate but don't manage to reach any of the higher levels of score. Hell, even for those who die I would say throw them at least ONE point.

Having spent 3 hours of time I could've better spent on another character, I feel like I've completely wasted my time. Despite everyone in the chat telling me that it's possible to hit level 20+ in 2 or 3 hours with ease, I fail to see how.
They told me that it was necessary to practice, which is something I don't think should come into playing a game unless you're doing something as a job or profession.

As a result, I feel like I've almost been punished for not being enough of a pro or having not licked the boots of whoever this kripp fellow is to learn the apparently top secret ways of playing the game 'properly', as opposed to playing for the sake of having fun and getting a few points along the way for my efforts.

Perhaps future events could be seperated into 'races' for those of us who want to simply play and see how far we can get in terms of our own limits as opposed to those who know how to manipulate the game to their advantage, and 'work' or 'grinds' for the rest.

Also could there be multiple events run at once, one for parties and one for solo run at a time? I was running solo and felt immediately at a disadvantage to those (ie everyone but me) who had friends to play with.

And don't complain at me for not wanting to party with people. Last race I did so and got left behind so I was running solo anyway, and despite attempting to talk to people they did not respond and simply led me into hordes of monsters when I was 5 levels lower than they were causing me to immediately die.

After IMD threw me this baby, nearly snuck by with #1 Marauder, but our runner dying on the way to Oak had set us back a bit too far...

IGN @dime
"They told me that it was necessary to practice, which is something I don't think should come into playing a game unless you're doing something as a job or profession."

Wow, are you serious? That is one of the most hilarious/depressing sentences I've ever read. Why would you want to do something which takes no practice to become better at? I hate games where practice/skill have no result.

What kind of games do you like farm ville? Angry Birds?

If you don't want to actually try to get better than well races just aren't for you unless you want to play just for fun or very low rewards.

I to was recently in your position, but instead of whining that it takes practice I am doing my best to improve with my limited time. It really may not necessarily require "practice" to at least get points, you just need decent hand eye coordination and "knowledge" of the routes/timings you should be aiming for.

If you want to compete with the best in the world than of course it will take practice. Just like anything else in life that is worth doing...

I have a thread I made with my own problems that might help you:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/196736

Edit:

It seems fairly easy to at least get SOME points (probably the lowest amount) as long as you know what you are doing to some extent. The hardest one might be the 1 hour race, if you get really bad loot or something. But if you can't get to level 20 in 3 hours than you are doing something seriously wrong.

And I have not really felt to be at a disadvantage by playing solo in party races. In fact I feel that most likely the people I would group with would probably slow me down.

And I don't think the people that would actually speed me up would accept me based on my race results quite yet.
Last edited by Wookiezim on Feb 28, 2013, 8:39:00 PM
Well yes that did sound a little stupid didn't it?

But if races are intended to be for people with higher skill than me, why was I allowed to enter at all? Why not have a level requirement, or require an account to have passed act 3 or reached level 70 or something? Because I've done none of that. I've hit level 35 in act 3, died continually and gotten bored and started another character, grinding to higher and higher levels each time before I attempt the areas ahead. (IE I first tried merveil at level 13, died, so next char I did it at level 16)

Evidently I'm so useless as to not even be in with a chance in a race, so it'd be nice if the devs thought to tell us shit play for fun and not to die type players to piss off.
Fortune didnt favor us this race, with our brutus runner crashing midway and needing to rerun, and another party member crashing at abomination and getting killed before the server dropped him. Desync was bad again too, and brutal at docks- im sure those melee wraiths broken targeting/ai has something to do with this, as its far worse with them on the screen in docks or maps than without- but it wasnt to blame for the deaths or our loss. We hit docks a bit late, grinded efficiently and managed a single demi at the finish.

Feedback: Check my bug forum thread about those melee wraiths again, theres something seriously wrong with their attack/movement patterns or ai and it makes the desync issues far worse than usual.

Level 36, 3rd place shadow and 9th overall in the end.

GG all, see you next race!
IGN: KoTao
"
8ftmetalhead wrote:
although this will be ignored, I'd like to suggest that for future events you put in a couple of points for players who participate but don't manage to reach any of the higher levels of score. Hell, even for those who die I would say throw them at least ONE point.

Having spent 3 hours of time I could've better spent on another character, I feel like I've completely wasted my time. Despite everyone in the chat telling me that it's possible to hit level 20+ in 2 or 3 hours with ease, I fail to see how.
They told me that it was necessary to practice, which is something I don't think should come into playing a game unless you're doing something as a job or profession.

As a result, I feel like I've almost been punished for not being enough of a pro or having not licked the boots of whoever this kripp fellow is to learn the apparently top secret ways of playing the game 'properly', as opposed to playing for the sake of having fun and getting a few points along the way for my efforts.

Perhaps future events could be seperated into 'races' for those of us who want to simply play and see how far we can get in terms of our own limits as opposed to those who know how to manipulate the game to their advantage, and 'work' or 'grinds' for the rest.

Also could there be multiple events run at once, one for parties and one for solo run at a time? I was running solo and felt immediately at a disadvantage to those (ie everyone but me) who had friends to play with.

And don't complain at me for not wanting to party with people. Last race I did so and got left behind so I was running solo anyway, and despite attempting to talk to people they did not respond and simply led me into hordes of monsters when I was 5 levels lower than they were causing me to immediately die.

I don't agree with you on much here. It's a race for a reason, and it's rewarded accordingly. You do get good rewards just for hitting levels that are easily acquirable, but yes, you do need to stay alive. That is part of the charm with this. You push yourself to your limits, and if you die, you've made a mistake or passed your limits. It doesn't take much time to do a few practice runs after reading up on strategy. If you enjoy competition, I don't think practice and thinking about strategy makes it feel as a profession at all.

You can just race against yourself in HC or Default if you don't agree with the premise of the race. I don't mean this to say get with the program or get out, but I simply don't think your arguments hold up. Isn't the point of a race to as quickly as possible achieve X, and doing this as efficiently as possible within the given parameters? You say manipulate as if bad, when it really comes down to knowing which zones to skip, which level you need to get full XP in certain zones and how far and how quickly you need to do things within the timeframe given among other things.

Here is some material you might find useful: Panda's 3 hour guide (This is from an old version of the game, but gives an incredible amount of advice for races)

A less detailed guide of a 1 hour race:
Bzmode's 1 hour guide

It is more about being efficient described in the links above than it is about being a great at playing your class, but there are many small things that all factor in to how well you perform. Read a little bit, do a few practice runs (especially for the lower levels to get going early) and don't expect to place in the top and you will certainly improve while enjoying yourself on the way.
Last edited by quasicat on Mar 1, 2013, 3:35:31 AM
#16 templar, first time in top 20 of a class .... yay

started as 2 man with a friend who went to bed ~2h in when he hit 20 ...stayed solo for the rest of the race

[Beyond] Hajhji/MahouShoujo_Madoka
"
8ftmetalhead wrote:

I'm not a Pro-Gamer & I do not have the Time for PoE some of the other People have ... but I did get better and better in Races throughout Time with learning the Game, the Builds, ...
The Rewards are well structured overall and every Player really trying to get better in these special Race-Competition will be able to get some of the Rewards within Time. Surely it will take some Races, maybe some Builds to find' your Way to deal with the Situation in Races but You really do not need to be a Pro-Gamer with Hours of Pratice to get some of the Levels for Example.

"
8ftmetalhead wrote:
Well yes that did sound a little stupid didn't it?
But if races are intended to be for people with higher skill than me, why was I allowed to enter at all? Why not have a level requirement, or require an account to have passed act 3 or reached level 70 or something? Because I've done none of that. I've hit level 35 in act 3, died continually and gotten bored and started another character, grinding to higher and higher levels each time before I attempt the areas ahead. (IE I first tried merveil at level 13, died, so next char I did it at level 16)

Evidently I'm so useless as to not even be in with a chance in a race, so it'd be nice if the devs thought to tell us shit play for fun and not to die type players to piss off.

Nobody is forced to do Racing but many People here (even with no Chances for The Top) love these Kind of Events and really absolutely Nobody (except Trolls) is telling You to 'piss off' cause You're not good enough. PoE is a tough Game You will not be able to master easily & that's the Way the Concept has been from the first Day on!
On the other Hand I think the PoE-Community is a good one & would help You with Questions when You not only complain but like the Game & really are trying to get better.

Keep calm, play PoE, drink Tea & listen to Prog!

Exiled.eu ... deutsche PoE-Community mit News, TS3, Guides & vielen netten Leuten :)
Last edited by Ezekiel_ on Mar 1, 2013, 4:32:05 AM
#286 Lvl 25 2bars

Went solo the whole race. Am a little bit suprised as it beats my solo rank... I was on the heels of the highest lvlers until lvl 10 then they just accelerated away as usual! Im guessing it's that quicksilver flask... I hate hailrake though, keep avoiding that one :p

Had all the bandit waypoints, did the spear/gem quest, got to Vaal pyramid but realised I had 5 minutes left to hit lvl 25 so made the tactical decison to chicken out and waypoint back to West Forest to get the final 3bars of xp.

I'm good at staying alive but my pathfinding sucks...
If GGG chickens made an action RPG, what would it be called? Path of Eggxile, a Peck 'n' Slash RPG.
Why was the helmet spluttering? It was a coif.
"
Wookiezim wrote:
very low rewards.

This is what you get for the races.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info