The decline of Path of Exile

"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Manocean wrote:
"poe is dying" - forum members in 2012-2016

Another 5+ years and they will maybe finally be right!

Technically, OP is right. Even the sun is dying.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
People can't read and understand graphs. People also love to compare games that are only available through steam, to games which have separate launchers.

Also just because I am bored and want some forum activity, when I google for this game, I don't call it Path of Exile, I call it PoE.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=2012-12-26%202016-08-26&q=PoE

There are also like 50 related searches for things like poe trade, poe xyz, poe builds, poe planner, poe wiki etc. All of them show constant activity.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Bars wrote:

Technically, OP is right. Even the sun is dying.

3spooky5me
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
viciousnugget wrote:
"The decline of google searching Path of Exile."

I compared the search results "path of exile" vs. "poe" and it doesn't seem to follow a similar trend.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=2012-12-26%202016-08-26&q=path%20of%20exile,poe

Maybe people start googling poe instead of path of exile once they learn of the game?

OK so you google PoE instead of Path of Exile? You know that Poe is used in other areas than this game, but Path of Exile very rarely is right? Such as Edgar Allan Poe?

And if you're saying people just know about poe so they never google it... well games like league of legends are getting tons of googles anyway without any major declines, a lot more healthy than this up and down decline. Games like League or Dota that are twice or more as old as PoE are still getting consistent searches.
Last edited by 111derivi on Aug 26, 2016, 10:13:15 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Since many of us don't play through Steam these numbers need to be multiplied by 4 or 5 to get closer to real total daily players

I love the factual accuracy of "many of us" and multiplying by a completely arbitrary number. For all the talk of how "many of us" don't use Steam, I have never once seen an actual head count of people not using Steam. And yet people still cite this flagrant lack of data as if it were actually an argument.
This is a buff™
"
"
Arrowneous wrote:
Since many of us don't play through Steam these numbers need to be multiplied by 4 or 5 to get closer to real total daily players

I love the factual accuracy of "many of us" and multiplying by a completely arbitrary number. For all the talk of how "many of us" don't use Steam, I have never once seen an actual head count of people not using Steam. And yet people still cite this flagrant lack of data as if it were actually an argument.

PoE was available through launcher and not steam for what... 3 years? You think the majority of long time players switched over to steam? I sure didn't and I know none of my friends did either.

I agree that multiplying by a random number isn't accurate, but you can't think there really are only 3000 players in this game when there's 15000 level 90+ just in softcore prophecy alone. Steam charts mean nothing.
"
"
Arrowneous wrote:

B-b-b-b-b-buuut Chris said we're many.
"
Namcap wrote:
"
"
Arrowneous wrote:

PoE was available through launcher and not steam for what... 3 years? You think the majority of long time players switched over to steam? I sure didn't and I know none of my friends did either.

I agree that multiplying by a random number isn't accurate, but you can't think there really are only 3000 players in this game when there's 15000 level 90+ just in softcore prophecy alone. Steam charts mean nothing.

1) 15000 characters, not players. Personally I usually play like 4 characters per league, and there are definitely people who will reach 90 inside a week. Even if each player only had two Prophecy characters, that's 7500, 5000 for three each, etc. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just saying that 15000 characters in no way reflective of how many actual players there are. It's very easy to misunderstand or misuse a number that can easily far exceed the actual player count.

2) Number of players doesn't account for the number of spam bots out there at any given time. Considering the constant, unstoppable barrage of spam, I'd wager they're throwing off the player count by a wide margin.

All I'm saying is that we are lacking any concrete data here, and there are a lot of factors at work. The data GGG has brought up in the past has always been murky at best. A game that has a sprawling community to be proud of usually isn't this dodgy about giving up a solid number, which makes them look like they're trying to hide the truth.
This is a buff™
"
Xavderion wrote:

Indeed, but here's the truth of it all: PoE is more popular in non-gold farming countries. Looks at how high the D3 (in red) interest is in China and other countries compared to PoE (in blue)...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info