"Never pay-to-win" Dishonest Marketing by GGG?

"
Dizrupt wrote:
TFW when are you a 'whale' yet never show up on ladders, hardly reach red maps or atziri, don't have a character over 90 and can count exalts earned per league on on hand with fingers left over.

I don't understand, I've got over 40 premium tabs, when can I start winning?

just because you are not using the advantage you got doesn't mean it is not an advantage, and stash tabs are pretty significant advantage.. even the basic ones
"
AintCare wrote:
"
Dizrupt wrote:
TFW when are you a 'whale' yet never show up on ladders, hardly reach red maps or atziri, don't have a character over 90 and can count exalts earned per league on on hand with fingers left over.

just because you are not using the advantage you got doesn't mean it is not an advantage, and stash tabs are pretty significant advantage.. even the basic ones

Only if your lazy?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I have over 80 premium tabs but I don't sell anything. I just like my tabs to look pretty. I guess everyone have different purposes for premium tabs but having premium tabs in itself is not pay to win :)

Plus my items are pretty bad, no one will buy them anyway haha.
Your logic is flawed, stash tabs are a convenience and not an advantage. There is nothing you can do with a premium tab you can't do another way with a normal tab. Just because it's more convenient to trade doesn't mean you can't trade without it. Also, pay 2 win implies an ongoing or unreasonable cost, something that a typical person couldn't or wouldn't want to spend. The game is free, which to be honest is stupid on GGG's part because it means they have to charge well over be market rate for their content and therefore decrease sales - but that's another topic.

The point is that if you're not willing to spend $20 TOTAL on a game then you don't get to complain about p2w, because that's not what it means. You're just being obnoxious and a troll. Now if you want to complain about something how about the "endgame" expansion that has literally zero changes and just more of the same content in a new wrapper. Or how about the lack of an in game AH and having to use a third party one instead. Or how about the fact that respeccing punishes new players and experimentation but is trivial for experienced and hardcore players. Or how about that there is literally zero difference between classes except a few stats. There are plenty of things to bitch about, stash tabs aren't one of them.
I actually disagree the premium stash tab flooded the market and made it harder to get currency - it just made the market more accessible to people
"
AintCare wrote:
"
Dizrupt wrote:

Nope you're entirely wrong. Go to page 17 and read my post.

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Brittany_GGG on Aug 25, 2016, 8:17:22 PM
"
databeaver wrote:
"
justhackitup wrote:
try playing literally any other ARPG game, any facebook game, any mobile game, then come back and realize what p2w truly is.

The Diablo, Torchlight and Sacred series of ARPG games don't even have cash shops and therefore can't be pay-to-win. Granted none of those games is free-to-play either.

(Sorry for the nitpick, but you did say literally.)

Fair haha :P
"
aithosrds wrote:
Your logic is flawed, stash tabs are a convenience and not an advantage. There is nothing you can do with a premium tab you can't do another way with a normal tab. Just because it's more convenient to trade doesn't mean you can't trade without it. Also, pay 2 win implies an ongoing or unreasonable cost, something that a typical person couldn't or wouldn't want to spend. The game is free, which to be honest is stupid on GGG's part because it means they have to charge well over be market rate for their content and therefore decrease sales - but that's another topic.

The point is that if you're not willing to spend $20 TOTAL on a game then you don't get to complain about p2w, because that's not what it means. You're just being obnoxious and a troll. Now if you want to complain about something how about the "endgame" expansion that has literally zero changes and just more of the same content in a new wrapper. Or how about the lack of an in game AH and having to use a third party one instead. Or how about the fact that respeccing punishes new players and experimentation but is trivial for experienced and hardcore players. Or how about that there is literally zero difference between classes except a few stats. There are plenty of things to bitch about, stash tabs aren't one of them.

P2W is a derogatory term. Many MMO are non-competitive, that doesn't stop people from using the term. It is such a broad encompassing term which could literally mean any advantage which players pay to have access to and other players don't have access to. You cannot argue that non-payers have access to extra stash tabs, only they have a substitute which require more time to manage. Convenience is a time advantage. Even cosmetic is P2W, they are just regarded as more acceptable. You cannot argue that stash tabs is not an advantage, only that it has less of an detrimental effect that other P2W elements found in other games.

Similar to F2P marketing, P2W could be used to describe anything that players gain by paying. Unless players pay and not get anything in return like literally donating, you can't regard it as not P2W.
"
aithosrds wrote:

I don't think it is obnoxious or being a troll to discuss this issue. I think looking at the philosophy of the game when Chris Wilson was first marketing Path of Exile is quite important. I agree very strongly with what Chris had said originally about microtransactions and game balance. Chris defined "pay-to-win" as "microtransaction" that provides an "advantage" for one player over another. "Microtransactions" should "completely divorced" from any "game play boost" as this would be "pay-to-win". The reason such a "pay-to-win" system is a problem is that the positive feelings of players are "substantially reduced" if other players can "buy advantage" to have the convenience to obtain currency for "less effort" and the overall "integrity of the game" is diminished:

We don’t want to sell anything that affects the game economy or provides a competitive advantage for one player over another. We try to completely divorce our microtransactions from the game balance. Selling items that affect a player’s stats, or can be traded, or provide some type of gameplay boost are examples of things that we feel would be pay-to-win.

We’ve designed Path of Exile as the game that we want to play, and we don’t want to play a game where players can buy advantage. In an Action RPG, it’s very important that players can only acquire levels and items as a direct result of their hard work so that the integrity of the game is kept intact. Players play for the feeling of finding and having an amazing item, and that feeling is substantially reduced if other players can get it for less effort.
Chris clearly spells out what GGG considers gameplay advantage: Selling items that affect a player’s stats, or can be traded, or provide some type of gameplay boost are examples of things that we feel would be pay-to-win. Agree with him or not, that's their definition. Since there is no gaming authority that defines the term, your definitions are no more valid than GGGs.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info