"Never pay-to-win" Dishonest Marketing by GGG?

Is it fair to say "Never Pay to Win" on the new Atlas of Worlds marketing: http://massivelyop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/AtlasofWorldsFactSheet.jpg

I think obviously the premium stash tabs do not confer just a cosmetic in game appearance. I think the premium stash tabs confer a tangible in game advantage in that it makes currency ultimately easier to obtain. I am not saying it is impossible to be successful in game without the premium tabs - but they certainly make the in game experience and acquisition of currency much easier.

I think the premium tabs are paying to get an in game in advantage - which I think is the common interpretation of "Pay to Win". I'm not saying if it is good or bad business by GGG - or judging GGG for charging for the premium stash tabs - or commenting on the price of the tabs - or judging those who do or do not have premium tabs - but is it not misleading to now advertise as "Never Pay to Win"?
Last edited by FelicityFlowers on Aug 16, 2016, 12:18:08 AM
Last bumped on Aug 28, 2016, 10:41:44 PM
Deh vultures won't feed today.

We ain't getting baited.

Oh so forth thee.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
There is no such thing as "fair" marketing, there is marketing. And they use other very controversial statements too.

"we dont force optional content on players" -> Added lab, which is in the grey area of non-optional side content, but the truth is everyone is "forced" to do them
"reworked endgame" -> its litteraly the same, but again according to them they did "rework" some things, no matter if the things reworked are almost identical
"14million accounts" -> using it like they are active or something, while the statement can be certainly true, not only it doesnt make any difference but its rather cheezy.
"not pay to win" -> they consider tabs non-pay to win, so the comment is true from their point of view, but the actual truth is more complicated

So ill say they are beeing dishonest in many aspects so that they advertisement of their game is better and wider, thats part of the marketing system though, use everything you can to hype your product. I personally despise it, but it works, not only by bringing new players in but keeping the "whales" (i_no is a perfect example of that) and the wk happy too.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
I don't think it's misleading because the amount of p2w in this game is miniscule.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
How does one win ...
First to the finishing line, get that one item for your collection, all of the league achievements, great wealth ?

It's free, enjoy. Or support to get a fuzzy glow.

Otherwise I think you're playing the wrong game.
"
Regulator wrote:
I personally despise it, but it works, not only by bringing new players in but keeping the "whales" (i_no is a perfect example of that) and the wk happy too.

Charan who has retired is the only true whale in this game. And there are quite a few others with more top tier support packs than me who might be considered whales. Your example was hardly close to one.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Is it fair to say "Never Pay to Win" on the new Atlas of Worlds marketing: http://massivelyop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/AtlasofWorldsFactSheet.jpg

I think obviously the premium stash tabs do not confer just a cosmetic in game appearance. I think the premium stash tabs confer a tangible in game advantage in that it makes currency ultimately easier to obtain. I am not saying it is impossible to be successful in game without the premium tabs - but they certainly make the in game experience and acquisition of currency much easier.

I think the premium tabs are paying to get an in game in advantage - which I think is the common interpretation of "Pay to Win". I'm not saying if it is good or bad business by GGG - or judging GGG for charging for the premium stash tabs - or commenting on the price of the tabs - or judging those who do or do not have premium tabs - but is it not misleading to now advertise as "Never Pay to Win"?

Oh fuck off.

There is no metric for winning in any race, season or anything else that is based on currency or having lots of stash tabs.

You are just making your own interpretation of pay 2 win to fit your argument.

I love the fact that people who want to play a game for free get salty at people who buy stuff to enable them to do so. Really need to get over themselves and realise that if no one bought anything the game would die rather than bitching and moaning about it.
"
Jerle wrote:
"
Regulator wrote:
I personally despise it, but it works, not only by bringing new players in but keeping the "whales" (i_no is a perfect example of that) and the wk happy too.

Charan who has retired is the only true whale in this game. And there are quite a few others with more top tier support packs than me who might be considered whales. Your example was hardly close to one.

I mentioned i_no cause she was the first to reply and was an example, a good one too. There are a lot more people, that are considered whales in PoE. When you reach a certain amount of support you are in that category, there is no "one true". Support packs are not the only way for one to be considered a whale. Money are. And in different styles of games there are different thresholds for being a whale. Spending more than 50 USD in facebook games you are considered a whale. Spending money to buy supporter packs every time they are out = whale. Having spend more than 1k USD = whale.

Sure others spend more, but when you are in the category "ive spent over 1.5k USD and im sure or probably will spend more" you qualify.

So my example is a perfect one, she might be a smaller whale than you for example but a whale nontheless. Whale is someone who will spend money without much hesitation, and often extravagantly. They usually account for less than 5% of the player base but contribute 40%+ of a company's revenue. Im pretty sure there are quite few more than the one you mentioned, would you think?

@markww

You should relax a bit mate. Ive also spent some bucks to buy tabs (got 40 premium ones atm), but seeing things as they are never hurt anyone. Tabs are in a grey area, yes you cant "win" but pay2win isnt literal, it means that paying gives you some kind of advantage. I agree the advantage tabs give can be considered miniscule but its still an in game advantage and convenience too.

Having tabs means :

Extreme amounts of currency only use one tab (previously from a personal experience i used 5 tabs for currency only, a free player couldnt even hold that much with their 4tabs) - i already see an advantage

Premium tabs mean easier trading, aka easier way to sell shit, shit that a free player might not even be possible to hold in his tabs or at least not in the amount a person with tabs can. Another example : before buying tabs i usually only holded items worth 10+c in them and i was trying to sell everything else in trade chat, if i couldnt before my gaming session ended i vendored them. After buying tabs (and especially after premium getting the trade rework) i just put everything i believe it can be sold in them. In talisman HC i had 14 tabs with items for my shop only, in PHC 7 and in proHC 9. The seer amount of items means that even if i dont sell them all i probably still get more income than a free player due to that.

More space means you can hold those uniques to build your next character. A free player can only hold 1tab of very very gg uniques he likes.

So yeah tabs DO offer an advantage and thus can be considered p2w, no matter what GGG and every blind fanboy says on that, thats how things are.

There is the argument that free players can make other accounts or mule characters to counter the lack of space, but that is time consuming, and time = money, so again they are in a disadvantage vs paying players.

Dont get me wrong, i highly suggest anyone who can to buy tabs, but no matter how you see it, you cant completely say tabs dont belong on p2w, they are of a very controversial nature, you pay for a service that offers convenience and time-saving properties, thus having an advantage.

And yes while i really like GGG for providing PoE and holding on some values and ideals, they are simply dishonest when it comes to marketing, but again thats how marketing works, you give your best to hype and elevate your game, hiding possible "bad things" and making "good" ones look even better.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
"
Regulator wrote:
"
Jerle wrote:
"
Regulator wrote:

I mentioned i_no cause she was the first to reply and was an example, a good one too. There are a lot more people, that are considered whales in PoE. When you reach a certain amount of support you are in that category, there is no "one true". Support packs are not the only way for one to be considered a whale. Money are. And in different styles of games there are different thresholds for being a whale. Spending more than 50 USD in facebook games you are considered a whale. Spending money to buy supporter packs every time they are out = whale. Having spend more than 1k USD = whale.

Sure others spend more, but when you are in the category "ive spent over 1.5k USD and im sure or probably will spend more" you qualify.

So my example is a perfect one, she might be a smaller whale than you for example but a whale nontheless. Whale is someone who will spend money without much hesitation, and often extravagantly. They usually account for less than 5% of the player base but contribute 40%+ of a company's revenue. Im pretty sure there are quite few more than the one you mentioned, would you think?

@markww

You should relax a bit mate. Ive also spent some bucks to buy tabs (got 40 premium ones atm), but seeing things as they are never hurt anyone. Tabs are in a grey area, yes you cant "win" but pay2win isnt literal, it means that paying gives you some kind of advantage. I agree the advantage tabs give can be considered miniscule but its still an in game advantage and convenience too.

Having tabs means :

Extreme amounts of currency only use one tab (previously from a personal experience i used 5 tabs for currency only, a free player couldnt even hold that much with their 4tabs) - i already see an advantage

Premium tabs mean easier trading, aka easier way to sell shit, shit that a free player might not even be possible to hold in his tabs or at least not in the amount a person with tabs can. Another example : before buying tabs i usually only holded items worth 10+c in them and i was trying to sell everything else in trade chat, if i couldnt before my gaming session ended i vendored them. After buying tabs (and especially after premium getting the trade rework) i just put everything i believe it can be sold in them. In talisman HC i had 14 tabs with items for my shop only, in PHC 7 and in proHC 9. The seer amount of items means that even if i dont sell them all i probably still get more income than a free player due to that.

More space means you can hold those uniques to build your next character. A free player can only hold 1tab of very very gg uniques he likes.

So yeah tabs DO offer an advantage and thus can be considered p2w, no matter what GGG and every blind fanboy says on that, thats how things are.

There is the argument that free players can make other accounts or mule characters to counter the lack of space, but that is time consuming, and time = money, so again they are in a disadvantage vs paying players.

Dont get me wrong, i highly suggest anyone who can to buy tabs, but no matter how you see it, you cant completely say tabs dont belong on p2w, they are of a very controversial nature, you pay for a service that offers convenience and time-saving properties, thus having an advantage.

And yes while i really like GGG for providing PoE and holding on some values and ideals, they are simply dishonest when it comes to marketing, but again thats how marketing works, you give your best to hype and elevate your game, hiding possible "bad things" and making "good" ones look even better.

While we disagree on the definition of whales, I thank you for your measured reply.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
When GGG was having contests to win IRL stuff at the top you may have had a small tiny point of "p2w" but you still don't even if they were still going on. Like others said in past threads and here, you are arbitrarily drawing the line of what is "winning." Do you win when you reach level 100? Then game doesn't close down for everybody when you reach level 100 first. It doesn't shut down the league when you are the first to find a mirror or accumulate x exalts or be the first to max challenges done.

Even when the irl prizes were present the way to "win" was to be the first to get to something that having more tabs really didn't make a difference because leveling fast and being able to self find or swap gear with guildies and friends was the important aspect of getting to atziri first and killing her or whatever. Stash tabs make it easier to throw stuff in and forget about it when racing to be at the top sure, but easier orb accumulation through trading nor being the first to get anywhere doesn't "win" you anything right now except bragging rights since everybody else has the potential to earn mtx rewards and such. The same thing goes on with season racing. I don't think I have ever seen a race where extra stash tabs made any real difference in "winning" a demi or the most points.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info