Mechanical Questions Thread

"
hamudra wrote:

It sounds like you already know this now, but in case you don't, Cast on Crits tooltip is "Supported Attacks have a (50 to 69)% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you Crit an Enemy"

So a Skill Gem with the tag "Attack" in its tooltip can trigger Cast on Crit to cast a Skill Gem with the tag "spell" in the tooltip.

GGG has always made sure to be extremely careful with the wording of things to explain as thoroughly as they can, but there are a lot of specific terms that can be taken in multiple different ways making it difficult to understand in the beginning. Also, (from my experience) these terms are not explained very well, and they don't seem to be too easy to just accidentally stumble upon.

Once you know what all terms know it's very easy to understand what does what, the best way to get help is by using the wiki http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki.
It's extremely thorough in most areas, and gives both simple, and advanced explanations of most things.

Ooh, I see. That gem was likely left in there on accident. While I understood EK was a spell, I had never before used Cast on Crit and didn't know I would not be able to use EK to trigger stuff. So, the closest thing I could find to try and trigger the spells I wanted to trigger (glacial breath/cascade or something) was frost blades. Sorry if the skill names are off, just trying to remember off the top of my head.

Now, for some reason, I can't kill a damn thing with frost blades - and it was so rarely critting that it wasn't even triggering EK. When it did, it was crazy but at that point I was better off just running around with EK. Which, was not the point of learning these things with this character.

So I don't know. This is where I stand, even knowing better how crit works. Trying to find something that will use some of the same bonus as EK for a base to trigger other stuff. Though, it seems I may have to just start over with a better plan for skills.

Still. Very, very grateful for the information. Thanks Hamudra.
"
Philkingz wrote:
"
silumit wrote:

Philkingz, if it is "increased" then it stacks additively. No exceptions to this rule AFAIK.
(although increases to damage taken by monsters - shock, for example - are effectively multiplicative with (sum of)your damage increases, but that's because they are applied to different entities. in scope of single entity, increases are always added, never multiplied)

Thanks for your answer, Silumit. I am still confused.
"Increased damage against Burning/Bleeding enemies" implies that i am debuffing my enemy before getting increased damage. The reasonable conclusion would be that i make it vulnerable to my attacks, hence it would be multiplicatively. The comparison to shock supports that notion. So when do i know if my debuffing does actually just buff myself and when does it really debuff?
So im still not sure if those nodes work on other entites or not.

In this regard i make my question more accurate:

"
Are Nodes like

- Ngamahu (Chieftain)
- Unyielding (Juggernaut)
- Gratuious Violence & Blood in the eyes (gladiator)

real debuff mechanics or hidden selfbuffs cloaked as faked-debuff mechanics?

Thanks for having the patience with me.
It is "increased (your)damage against enemies", not "increased damage taken by enemies". So:
1)technically it is a debuff on enemies
2)but it doesn't make them take increased/more damage, it makes you do increased damage against them
3)then, in your wording, it is "hidden selfbuffs cloaked as faked-debuff mechanics"

"
hamudra wrote:
"
Estroyer wrote:
a) Is it possible to finish the game without attacking or casting, ie relying on "thorns" reflect damage? I'm thinking of trying it out but some of the bosses might be spellcasters only and not melee?

Possible? Most likely, at least if you use Tempest Shield (if you consider that thorns, deals damage when you block) and get max block and spell block (75%). Your damage is going to be incredibly low though, but I assume you already know that.

There are of course some mobs you will most likely not be able to kill, such as high HP + life regen rares because your damage would be lacking.
IIRC Charan made such a build(although it also used counterattacks, idk if they are allowed here) and it was okay.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
I have question about ricochet. Does it improve the tornado shot damage(not aoe area). If tornado shot link with GPM, hitting 5 enemies, can each one being hit one more time by the 1 extra chain?
I've got one more, likely simple question regarding crit again. I'm sorry.

Using projectile skills as an example... does each cast have a chance to crit or each projectile? More specifically, what about for something with multiple stages like frost blades? If the initial hit doesn't crit, could the projectiles that follow still crit?
Hello Mark,

I have questions about the Wind and Thunder prophecy. Other than having the prophecy be active (placed in the tab), is there anything else required in order for the rare Galvanic Ribbon that drops Windripper to spawn?

I've run dozens of Temple and Waste Pool maps, including the last three which consecutively spawned Galvanic Ribbons, but have yet to encounter that rare. Have I just been unlucky? Alternatively, if the Wind and Thunder prophecy was obtained before the patch that fixed the Galvanic spawning issue, is it possible that such would prevent the rare from spawning?

Thanks for posting this thread. Cheers
"
SteKrz wrote:

What is the difference between Word/Edict/Decree/Commandment of War (and other glove enchants based on your weapon). Looking at full tooltip I can't see any either.

I've looked through 22 pages after my post and I couldn't find any reply.
Hi Mark:

For the prophecy chain, once you complete one of them for example:

When you complete the whole "The Ambitious Bandit" prophecy, will you be able to acquire it again from Navali?
I have a question concerning "Less Duration Support" and "Ignite". Im not sure how it exactly works, but assume it is extremely strong with fire damage and ignite.

Background and Question:
Ignite damage does not stack, hence as long as you are able to procc ignite within 4second
(2seconds with less duration)on an enemy, you would not lose dps even if ignite duration is halved. Instead you would gain gain dps, since LDS increases the hitdamage and burndamage.

Is that correct? Does it doubledip?

Illustration:
Without LDS:
Hitdamage | Ignite
Fire Damage / second + Fire damage*0,2

With LDS:
Hitdamage | Ignite
(Fire Damage / second)*1,29 + (Fire damage 1,29)*1,29*0,2

"
SteKrz wrote:
"
SteKrz wrote:

What is the difference between Word/Edict/Decree/Commandment of War (and other glove enchants based on your weapon). Looking at full tooltip I can't see any either.

I've looked through 22 pages after my post and I couldn't find any reply.

Word = Normal
Edict = Cruel
Decree = Merciless
Commandment = Endgame/Uber

There should be different scaling on the enchants, with each difficulty having a higher scaling giving more damage. At least that's how it works for the spell enchants, looking at your pictures there might not be any scaling on the attack enchants, or the scaling is so incredibly low that there's no difference for you.

EDIT: Sorry, I read your post wrong, thought you asked about every glove enchant, not just specifically attack enchants. You should try with a character who has more Weapon Damage though, as the low damage you have might cause it to not make a difference (If you haven't already done that)
Last edited by hamudra on Jul 9, 2016, 10:07:44 AM

So uuuuhm.... I kinda accidently used my mirror on an Offering to the Goddess, is this intented to be able to be mirorred? Since you cant use any other piece of currency on it.

Thanks in advance

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info