Mechanical Questions Thread

Hi

I'm Mark_GGG, and I know how PoE works. If you'd also like to, this thread is for you.

We're trying out something new as a way for people with mechanical questions to get answers. People can post mechanical questions in this thread, and every few days I'll come by and answer as many as I can. This is specifically for questions about game mechanics - I can't tell you why a balance change was made, whether something will get nerfed, or what option is "best" for a given build. So if you have questions like "Does X support Y?", "What order do A, B, and C happen in when I get hit?", or "Why do the calculations come out this way when I take this passive?", I can help. Questions like "What will the next league be?", "How do people level so fast?", or "What were you thinking when you nerfed X?" are off topic for this thread, and I'm not going to be answering them.

I'm not perfect, and some things I'll have to look up. It might take me longer to get an answer to your question than someone else's - please be patient in this case. I will be doing my best to answer every mechanical question asked in the thread, although this is on top of my other work, so again, please be patient in waiting for me to get to things. If you ask about announced, but unreleased content (such as unique items shown in previews before the patch that adds them to the game), please understand such things are not always final when shown, and not all the answers might exist yet.

This doesn't mean I won't still be replying in other parts of the forum, so don't feel you have to ask things here to get answers.

That's pretty much all I have to say, so let's get the questions rolling!

---

Here's a link to just the GGG posts in this thread, for people who just want to see answers.
Last edited by Jess_GGG on Apr 26, 2021, 8:53:09 PM
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2021, 8:55:20 PM
Thanks for the questions!

"
dogheat wrote:
Why is elemental overload worded to only work with players and not totems?
It's worded that way because that's what it does, and having the wording say something else would be problematic.
If you mean why it works that way, then I'm afraid that's an example of the kind of question that's outside the scope of this thread. I can tell you how it does work (you need to crit something, so your totems critting something won't cut it, but once active, since totems use your skills, they benefit from it), but not why that decision was made.

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Elemental conversion follows a specific order and can't go backwards or it'll result in a loop. Would it be possible to implement a "conversion flag" so you could convert backwards in the order, then have the game check if the damage had already been converted once it hits whatever the source damage type was?
Probably not, although I don't have a full logical proof of this.
Practically, definitely not - the amount of extra processing added to common stat calculations by that would be unreasonable, if it were possible.

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Is there an inherent limit to the number of enemies a skill can hit? There was recently a thread about this on Reddit and it made me wonder if this is just part of the engine.
There is not one limit that applies to all skills, but there is generally a requirement that skill have a limit for technical reasons (as well as potential balance and or performance reasons) to the number of simultaneous hits that can occur.

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Are there any plans to improve the mini map? It's essentially a wireframe of the level so it is technically accurate, but is at times hard to interpret. This one's not so much mechanics but still heavily affects gameplay (without being balance related).
Well outside the scope of the thread sorry. I have no idea about this.

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Is there a technical limit to DPS?
There is a technical limit to the visible DPS on a skill popup, due to that being stored in an integer variable.
There is a technical limit on the amount of damage a given hit can deal (same dealio), but to my knowledge not a technical limit on the number of times you could hit a target in a second, so I do not believe there's a technical limit on actual DPS dealt to a specific enemy.
There is definitely a mechanical limit to DPS, because there are limits on how high the values of stats you can obtain from passives/gear/etc. There is some theoretical "best DPS" build* that could exist with perfect gear, that would have more DPS than any other actually possible build. This limit is significantly below where any technical limitation would occur on actual damage.

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Was it a conscious decision to prevent on-evade and on-dodge triggers when implementing those systems?
Not really the kind of question for this thread, but no. Those are impossible as a consequence of other important decisions, not a decision to make them impossible.

"
Dreggon wrote:
Hey, I had a question about Daresso's Passion:

"X% Increased Damage while you have no frenzy charges"

Is that modifier local or global?
Global
"
Dreggon wrote:
Is there any way to definitively distinguish whether a modifier is local or global, if it could reasonably be either?
In general, if a modifier can modify the base behaviour of an item (what a white item of that type would do) then it will be local. There are very few exceptions to this, but they do exist, so the answer to the question is no.

Note that this is not a case where it "could be either" - the modifier depends on the number of frenzy charges your character has, which is necessarily external to the item. A local modifier like this would make no sense, as the weapon itself can't have frenzy charges. local modifiers only affect the item, and are self-contained - if the effect cares about the player, it's inherently non-local.

*It's technically possible that there are multiple such builds with exactly equal DPS that are all "best", but very unlikely.
"
3sfour wrote:
Hi, I have a question regarding Arctic Armor, does AA reduce reflected fire dmg (assuming you are standing still ofc) ?
Yes.
"
Are the Slayer's Headman bonuses to area of effect radius and damage multiplier on kill treated as buffs and will they be scaled by Ichimonji's increased buff effect?
No. Buffs can be identified by having a visible icon with a green border. Anything without that icon or with a different border is not a buff.
"
Vortex's DoT Tooltip doesn't benefit from +damage to spells(HoI etc), and also cannot have it's element converted. Is that the actual functionality and/or is that intended?
This is true of all damage over time, and always has been. Flat added damage only makes sense for hits, and damage conversion cannot apply to damage over time (although that one might be able to change in the distant future).
"
Are all Prophecys that are not Map specific available at Level 1?
No.
"
Resurr wrote:
The support team linked me to this thread,
so i have an issue with pierce chance from the Drillneck quiver. it is supposed to give "10% chance of Arrows piercing" but it doesnt increase the chance to pierce, that is indicated by the tooltip of my Lightning Arrow
Skill Tooltips intentionally only show the stats that are specific to that skill. They don't show global things that affect all skills.
If you want to see everything a skill does, including all your global stats, the character panel, not the skill popup, is the place to do that.

"
Rockstopper wrote:
Consecrated ground created by "Decree of Light" gloves enchant (example below) seems to grant much higher health regen than expected.

Tested with a character with around 7.5k life, their life regen spikes by ~900 while standing on it, close to 12% of their maximum life.
Decree of Light skill description reads "4% of maximum life regenerated per second" and consecrated ground created by a Sulphur flask grants the expected 4% life regen. Where is this difference coming from?
A bug. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Related to above, do you still benefit from "when you take a critical strike" effects if you block said critical strike? For example, Avenger's prefix on flasks.
Yes.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Whirling Blades doesn't seem to be interruptible.
It's just as interruptable as any other skill.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
what happens if I receive damage from a hit large enough to normally stun me while whirling?
You get stunned. Currently, there's a bug where the movement continues, meaning you slide while playing the stun animation, but you're no longer damaging things. The bug will be fixed in a future patch.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Is there a maximum range I need to be within of monsters killed (by me) to gain experience?
Yes. Experience for a kill is assigned to players within range, regardless of whether any of those players are the ones which killed it.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
For example, do monsters dying to degen when I'm already several screens away still grant experience no matter what?
If you're actually getting "several screens away" before they die, they probably aren't dying at all, since time stops passing for things outside the player's wake range.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
Do strongbox prefixes have any effect on quantity of items contained
No.
"
Rockstopper wrote:
or would opening a normal strongbox be the same as opening a magic one (with no suffixes) loot wise?
Also no. Magic strongboxes inherently have increased quantity/rarity of items for being magic, but this is unrelated to any prefices they have. Similarly for rares and uniques.

"
wedontcare wrote:
is Shadeform working as intended?
Mechanically, yes.
"
wedontcare wrote:
The passive is clearly written as "20% more evasion chance when not on full Energy Shield", which you knew already.
This is incorrect. The passive says "20% more chance to Evade Attacks while not on full Energy Shield". This may seem pedantic, but given that wording is very specific in some cases, it's not a good idea to use quote marks around something that isn't actually the text used in the game.
"
wedontcare wrote:
On the wiki it states it being when you are on full ES, with the passive saying vice versa.
I have no idea what you mean by this. The wiki page for the passive shows the correct stat, and the history of that wiki page does not appeat to show it ever having being wrong. Regardless, the wiki is sometimes inaccurate, and should never be trusted over actual mechanical text in the game.
"
wedontcare wrote:
I'm curious because it doesn't seem to be doing either of those things. At full ES I have 48% chance to evade
This is incorrect. That's fundamentally not how evasion works. I'm assuming you're looking at the Estiamted chance to evade shown in the character panel. This is an estimate, based on the accuracy rating of an average monster of your level.
Your character does not ever have a specific chance to evade. Chance to evade is different for different hits, determined by comparing your evasion to the attacker's accuracy, not a fixed global value on the character.
"
wedontcare wrote:
and then upon taking damage, I see no change in that number, either going down or up. Is this tied to a stat that isn't visible to the player?
Technically no, in that it's tied to your actual chance to evade each hit you take, which isn't (and can' be) shown to the player, but is not a stat (because it must be calculated for each hit).
"
wedontcare wrote:
If so, would that make my chance to evade an inaccurate percentage to look at for the purpose of whether or not this passive is working?
The Estimated chance to evade shown in the character panel is inaccurate for any pupose. It can give a rough idea of how evady you're likely to be against monsters of the same level as you, but no more than that.
That said, this modifier to chance to evade should in theory apply both to your actual chance to evade, and to the estimate stat (which are entirely separate things). This is a (display only) bug, which I will investigate.

"
Atimar549 wrote:
I'm deciding on the ranger class, using a Drillneck for the pierce bonus damage. But the problem is that I'm unsure if the Ranger Deadeye passive interacts with Drillneck.
It does.
"
Atimar549 wrote:
is it dynamic? Such as reducing total damage as the projectile travels and loses pierce chance?
Of course. The projectile loses pierce chance, so anything calculated based on that pierce chance also changes.

"
sherkhan wrote:
How exactly does taunt operate on a monster? Does it mean the next hit will be directed towards the taunter? Or all hits over the duration of the taunt?
While taunted, a monster's AI cannot consider any object as a potential target except the taunter.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Is there a Taunt cooldown period?
Previously, some unique monsters (act bosses and map bosses) that were taunted gained immunity to further taunts for 9 seconds. This was removed as part of the 2.3.0 Taunt rework. There is now no such mechanic used.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Do monsters have Taunt resistance / Taunt duration modifiers / Taunt break mechanics? Does this differ by monster category?
No. The only effect of this type was the taunt immunity when taunted, which was removed in 2.3.0.
"
sherkhan wrote:
Is there radius limitation on the Taunt effect? I.e. does the taunter have to be within a certain distance for the taunted monster to target the taunter?
No. However, if the taunter is outside the monster's aggro radius, they're an invalid target, meaning the monster has no targets to choose from (since objects that aren't the taunter can't be targeted).
"
sherkhan wrote:
When totems taunt (chieftain passive), do they become the target, or does the player (since totems represent players in certain ways)?
The totem is a seperate object from the player. If the totem taunts an enemy, the totem is the taunt target.

"
The_x_ile wrote:
1) is there any difference between scolds / heartbound loop damage taken, and between hiltless "reflected" damage?
Yes.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
if so.. where exactly? (aside from the fact that the reflected damage can be blocked/ dodged etc..)
The primary difference is that the reflected damage is reflected damage, which carries a whole bunch of rules baggage. Reflected damage cannot trigger on-hit effects, for example. The other two are just hits of regular secondary damage you deal to yourself. They are more different than they are similar.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
in my COLB build i have no idea why my mana cost is as it is... care to explain how i reach 669 mana there? (tried diff stuff and nothing lead me to 669 mana)
You've made two errors I can see in your post - you list a mulitplier of 150% for WED support, when the actual value is 140%, and you treat Reduced Mana support as having a 75% mana multiplier, which it does not - it has no mana multiplier, but aplies the stat "reduced mana cost" to supported skills. Being a reduction, this is additive with the "increased mana cost" from your jewels.
The mana multipliers total to a 942% total multiplier, to the base cost of 15. This then has a 375% increased applied (400% increased from jewels - 75% reduced from RM support), giving the total of 699. (Note that each step of this process uses integer maths, so any fractional parts are discarded).
"
The_x_ile wrote:
some question about dancing dervish :
- what are the tags of the skill? (AOE / minion / melee /etc...)
It does not have any. Tags are a feature of gems, not skills. This skill does not have a gem.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
- can it soppurts COC / cwdt ?
Yes.
"
The_x_ile wrote:
(so my sowrd will start to cast spells linked to it)
No. The skill is a spell, not an attack, and is already triggered. Supporting it with a cast on trigger support gem would mean it would be cast on that trigger. Because it already has a trigger, the spell would then be disabled for having two triggers.

"
taggedjc wrote:
Regarding Kintsugi's "50% increased Evasion if you were Hit Recently"

is this a funny way of saying "50% increased Evasion rating"?
Yes. I have fixed the description locally.

"
kolton wrote:
When Contagion spreads Essence Drain, is the degen order maintained or somehow changed?
For a specific example - I cast Contagion linked with Item Rarity on a group of monsters, then cast Essence Drain on one of them and they all die from Contagion spreading ED. Will Item Rarity affect them all?
First Contagion is added to the monsters, then Essence Drain. If they were not already under the effect of debuffs, contagion will be the "first" debuff on them, until that contagion runs out.

"
gr00grams wrote:
If the new taunt mechanics where others take reduced damage applies to Stone Golem and Decoy Totem.
I.e.
If they taunt, do I take the 10% less damage?
Yes, from the taunted enemies.

"
Warhole wrote:
Since cospri's is the item doing the poisoning, and not bladefall, the tooltip for bladefall says nothing about poisoning. Will rapid decay as a 6th link increase the poison dot from Cospri's?
Bladefall cannot be supported by Rapid Decay.

"
TDA wrote:
Does Obliteration
Profane Bloom
Abyssal's Cry's explosion radius scale with aoe nodes?
Yes

"
Sivluu wrote:
Is Beacon of Ruin's (Elementalist's ascendancy perk) radius affected by Increased AoE/Concentrated Effect support gems?
Yes, but the skill needs to be one that can be supported by those gems for them to have any effect.

"
Khornaar wrote:
I have a question about Abyssal Cry and its interaction with critical strikes.
When does critical strike check occurs? in a moment of initial cast or in a moment of monster exploding?
Checking whether a hit is a critical strike or not is always done when that specific hit is calculated, and cannot be done at any other time, because your critical strike chance can be different for different hits.
The critical strike roll is only made once, when the skill is cast, just like most skills. All hits from the same action have the same roll, but are potentially checking against different chances to crit, so may or may not crit on different enemies.

"
ttylol wrote:
Could you confirm that the Doomfletch (and it's fated version) mechanic "Gain 110% of Bow Physical Damage as Extra Damage" scales with flat added phys from other items?
Yes.

"
Why is frost wall so inconsistent at blocking certain player projectile attacks (namely explosive arrow)?
Teams cannot be correctly set on the client for objects that aren't actors. This is a known bug which is difficult to solve because migrating team serialisation code to generic object code breaks existing and required functionality in other cases.

"
Justifi3d wrote:
do "chance to avoid stuns when x" nodes and mods on gear work with block animations

I mean do you also get a chance to avoid a block animation or does the animation always happen unless stun immune?
You only play a block animation if a hit would have stunned you if not blocked. Since you avoided the stun, the hit would not stun you, and there is no block animtion.

"
Khisanth wrote:
Does Hypothermia's more damage affect Vortex's DoT?
No. Conditional modifiers cannot apply to DoT, because the condition could change during the DoT.

"
PapaPetro wrote:
Is linking via fuses deterministic (i.e. runs based off an algorithm where the individual fuses have a hidden variable) or is it random (some sort of rand function).
Since I know there are some people who'll jump in and accusme me of lying if I'm not specific, they're psuedorandom. For all practical purposes, they're random, but computers don't do "true" randomness.

"
PapaPetro wrote:
Do maps have hidden extra mods? Sometimes I see maps with 4 tormented spirits or 2+ exiles without any explicit/implicit mods or Zana map device effects attached. If so, do these hidden mods affect IIQ/map drop rates?
Those are generated normally. If you do enough maps, you'll see things like that. They aren't caused by any hidden mods.

"
Nithryok wrote:
Death's Oath chest, 450 chaos damage per second to enemy around. Does this dot scale off of chaos damage in the passive tree?
No. The item directly applies the damage to enemies, your stats are not involved.

"
cmphx wrote:
1. do you think you can give this more structure?
I have a few minor plans to include commonly requested information, but ultimately the volume of questsions means things like linking them all in the first post will be completely impractical. The thread can be searched, viewed with the dev-posts-only filter, and importantly, specific responses can be linked to by Support or anyone else answering questions in future.
"
cmphx wrote:
2Rapid decay: Can you clarify in which cases the gem actually works? I heard rumors that it does not apply to RF, since its not technically a duration gem. However it will apply to RF if its linked with spell totem, because that makes it duration. Why is this?
You answered your own question here - because it's now a duration skill, and Rapid Decay only supports duration skills.
"
cmphx wrote:
Follow-up question: Does rapid decay work if I link it to a bow Skill (lets say Lightning arrow - gmp - pierce - void manip - rapid decay) and I use snakebite to apply poison. Will Rapid decay ( and void manip for that matter) work with the poison indirectly applied through snakebite?
Rapid Decay only supports duration skills.
"
cmphx wrote:
3. Lightning arrow secondary "aoe": Does conc effect increase the damage that the secondary, up to 3 target hitting thing from lightning arrow does to nearby targets?
No. Lightning Arrow does not deal area damage.
"
cmphx wrote:
Same question for Kinetic blast: If I link it with conc effect and I apply poison with it, do poison stacks get the 59% more damage if the poison is applied through the explosion ?
Yes.
"
cmphx wrote:
4. Hinekora and instant leech: Chieftains "Hinekora" node now gives "1% of damage dealt by your totems is leeched to you as life". Does it work with any of the instantleech sources ? ( acuity, legacy Vinktar, vaal pact)
Yes. This node does nothing to change how leech applies to you, it just leeches life.
"
cmphx wrote:
5. Scolds and crit: Do things like "%increased chance to receive a critical strike" work with the damage you get from using skills while wearing scolds?
Scold's Bridle self-damage cannot crit.
"
cmphx wrote:
6. Diamond flask and Assassin's Mark How do I correctly calculate my effective crit chance against a monster that has assassins mark on it and i use a diamond flask? More in detail, do i first add the flat chance to my crit chance, then apply the diamond flask math 1-(1-critchance)² or is it the other way round?
The diamond flask does not affect chance to crit. Chance to crit is worked out, inclduing all modifiers such as Assassin's Mark, then compared to the Crit Roll of the skill. The Diamond flask does nothing at this point, it affects when the crit roll is made, by rolling twice and taking the better of the two rolls.
"
cmphx wrote:
7. Updated Skill AoE values Can you release a list of AoE values for skills ? The wiki has data on some, but its outdated and the new skills often lack it completely. Would be nice to have the numbers so we can compare.
This is the main thing I was referring to under having plans to include commonly requested information in the first post of this thread.

"
uzoom wrote:
if Nemesis proc in Mysterious Darkshrine (Your nemeses hunt you: Nemesis is added to the areas within the Labyrinth), then can chance headhunter?
No.

"
Pepock wrote:
so to confirm cluster traps and multi traps reduce the damage done when it is tied to the gem even by something such as linking mirror/blink arrow to trap and cluster trap the dmg reduce applies to minions and so they do less damage when using either cluster or multi?

but also the reverse side doesn't apply the same way in that the trap damage when tied to a bow minion does not increase the damage
Yes.
"
Pepock wrote:
ie: only way to really scale mirror/blink arrow is to scale minion damage and trap reductions apply but trap increases do not apply to bow minions
No. Trap damage modifiers do not apply to minions summoned by traps. Cluster Trap and Multitrap give "less damage", not "less trap damage" - the reason it applies is because it is not a modifier to "trap damage"[/quote]

"
mazul wrote:
How is the target priority of enemy monsters determined when there is no taunt involved? Like for instance when there are 3 people entering a room with monsters, how do they monsters decide who to attack? Is it fully deterministic or does it use "randomness" to choose target?
Depends on the monster's AI.

"
widardd wrote:
I would love to get a complete list of what "on kill effect" works with totems/traps and which don't.
Trying to get a comprehensive list of all on kill effects in the game is beyond the scope of this thread. Are there specific ones you're unsure of? In pretty much all cases, you need to kill something to trigger an on-kill effect (Headhunter is a notable exception, which we're looking to find good wording for).

"
kaptn_games wrote:
When looking and skills and effects that are not gained by skill gems, but some other way, is there a good rule of thumb to know if these are effected by our passives/items/flasks/ascendencies?
Yes, but it's not going to come in the form of some big list of things that work with other things. It comes from understanding the mechanics, which determine all the results. In general, any of your modifier stats apply to anything you do (that is the thing they apply to).
"
kaptn_games wrote:
gratious violance / obilteration wand explosions, skills on glove enchants: do i get inc dmg from sulfour flask? (yes) is the AOE increased from passives? ( dont know) +1 base crit Chance from assasin? (dont know)
Yes, Yes, Yes. The explosions are caused by you and use your stats. The skills are just like any other skills, and you can check them in the character panel to see things apply.
"
kaptn_games wrote:
secondory and or primary dmg DoT's: bleed, poison, burn from aplicable skills. RF dmg increased by Sulfur flask? (yes) posion dmg apllied by an attack increased by Sulfur flask? (dont know)
Damage over time is damage. The Sulfur flask providfes increased damage. This applies.
"
kaptn_games wrote:
Duration of skills from temporal chains: vaal auras Duration increased? (yes) summon ragins Spirit Duration increased? (dont know)
The answer is no to all of these cases - Temporal Chains does not increase the duration of anything. It slows down how fast timed effects think time is passing. This affects anything which has an icon with a timer.
"
dth3flash wrote:
How does Mjölner with 3 discharges, Juggernaut (Unrelenting), Voll's Devotion, Romira's Banquet (and Resolute Technique/Voll's Protector) work?

Assuming starting from zero charges, and only a single enemy, within discharge range, which never dies (and taking the Resolute Technique option as it's easier to describe)
1) You hit with Mjölner, with a non-critical hit.
2) You gain a power charge.
3) First discharge triggers.
- 3a) Discharge calculates damage, based on your one power charge.
- 3b) Discharge consumes all charges.
- 3c) You lost a power charge, so gain an endurance charge, which is replaced by you gaining your maximum number of endurance charges.
- 3d) Discharge deals damage, hitting the enemy, with a non-critical hit.
- 3e) You gain a power charge.
4) Second discharge triggers.
- 4a) Discharge calculates damage, based on your one power charge and maximum number of endurance charges.
- 4b) Discharge consumes all charges.
- 4c) You lost a power charge, so gain an endurance charge, which is replaced by you gaining your maximum number of endurance charges.
- 4d) Discharge deals damage, hitting the enemy, with a non-critical hit.
- 4e) You gain a power charge.
5) Third discharge triggers.
- 5a-e) Same as the second Discharge.
6) You currently have one power charge, and your maximum number of endurance charges, and have finished your attack.

"
Haeos wrote:
There are a few cases which are not straight forward such as all minion skills. They say they are spells but are not affected by spell damage. Why aren't minions affected by spell damage when they have the spell tag?
Minions do not "have the spell tag". Minion spell gems have the spell tag, because they are spells. They deal no damage.
There is a fundamental difference between your Raise Zombie spell (which is a spell cast by you that creates a minion and no damage (but would be affected by spell damage modifiers if it did), and the Zombie's Melee attack (which is a attack, not a spell, not used by you, that deals attack damage because it's an attack).
The damage of the Zombie's melee attack is not the damage of the Raise Zombie spell, and is pretty much entirely unrelated to it.

"
Haeos wrote:
How do Wings of Entropy, Lacerate, and Outmatch/Outlast from Duelist interact with each other?
Lacerate when dual wielding always does a main-hand hit followed by an off-hand hit.
"
Haeos wrote:
I know I read somewhere with Dual Strike it counted as MH kills only
That a) only applied to combining main-hand and off-hand hits into a single hit, which is not the case here, and b) was fixed in 2.2.0.

"
Zaorish_9 wrote:
What exactly does the tooltip DPS on Lacerate and Double Strike mean?
Do these account for a hit both swings, discounted by accuracy/crit/etc ?
Yes, they include all those things.

"
TherosPherae wrote:
Currently, Vaal Burning Arrow only consumes 1 charge of the skill if you drop 3 mines containing it with Minefield - allowing you to drop 9 Vaal Burning Arrow mines off of the 3 charges the gem holds. Is this a bug, or intended?
That is a bug, probably due to mines not previously being able to be dropped in multiples.

"
TherosPherae wrote:
Also, does the flat physical damage from Coated Shrapnel jewel(s) count as 'bow physical damage' for Doomfletch and Doomfletch's Prism if you're using a bow skill as a trap/mine
Yes. All damage done with an attack using a bow is bow damage.

"
7thSlap wrote:
Is there a reason why I can apply poison with both, attacks & spells, but not bleeding?
Bleeding an Poison are entirely different mechanics with different rules. Bleeding has always been attack-only.

"
ZeusTheGiant wrote:
When skills are calculated for dps (or the order which they are triggered for cwdt) does it matter the order the supported skills and the relation they are to the active/triggered gem?
The order of active skills in sockets determines the order they will trigger in if triggered by the same event. It has no effect on dps calculation, and the position of supports never matters.
"
ZeusTheGiant wrote:
If so would this example be true?:

-linked sockets are R->R->R->R
-using cwdt -> immortal call -> increased duration -> molten shell

-cwdt would trigger immortal call first and then molten shell with both IC and MS having increased duration applied?
Assuming you take a hit that deals enough damage to trigger each of those skill's thresholds at the same time, yes.

"
Potatto wrote:
why do i find myself stunned by physical hits with Immortal Call up? Going by the formula if i take 0 damage the chance should be 0%. I specifically tested this on Rhoa charge. Is the charge an exception?
Because they are using (old) shield charge, which has built-in stunning based on distance.

"
With the recent changes to spark, I imagine you can have a big excess of projectile speed and skill effect duration.

How can we verify when we have enough for the 150 unit limit?
That isn't possible. There is no amount of increased duration and/or projectile speed that ensures the sparks will definitely reach a point more than 150 units from the character. It's entirely possible for infiinite-duration sparks to bounce/circle around within that radius, and never leave it.
In general, sparks will be more likely to stay within the radius in an enclosed space with walls to bounce off, and more likely to leave it in open areas, but it's still not guarunteed.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jun 10, 2016, 1:48:55 AM
"
kot0005 wrote:
New Unique Voidheart: why is the wording for bleed different, which says 100% chance but the poison affix is simple ?
Because of a mistake made when merging multiple changes to that file, which reverted my fix. It will be correct on live soon, if it isn't already.

"
kot0005 wrote:
Also do the poison stack with the ascendancy affixes in the assassin tree?
Meaning, will the ring affix apply another stack of poison if I already applied poison from the flat % that Noxious strikes gives?
Any given hit either does or does not apply poison. It cannot apply multiple instances of poison.

"
kot0005 wrote:
Saboteur's Blinding Assult:

does the 25% chance to blind on hit proc with traps
Yes.

"
kot0005 wrote:
Is there a way to increase the distance my character throws the traps to ?
Like for projectiles you can use Proj speed, is there something similar for traps ?
No. In addition, you are mistaken about what increased Projectile Speed works. It does not increased the distance projectiles travel in general. There are a very few specific cases of projectiles that "fade out" over time, in which case increasing their speed has a knock-on effect on how far they get before this process completes, but that's all. The effect of increasing projectile speed is just to increase the speed, not the range.

"
SUPEROUMAN wrote:
If you hit an enemy at 0 units with Power Precision (gain 100% Pierce Chance) while already having 100% from the pierce gem and from the tree, you will have 100% chance to pierce.

If you hit an enemy at 20 units with Power Precision (gain 25% Pierce Chance) while already having 100% from the pierce gem and from the tree, you will have 100% chance to pierce.

If you hit an enemy at 100 units with Power Precision (gain 0% Pierce Chance) while already having 100% from the pierce gem and from the tree, you will have 100% chance to pierce.

Am i correct about the 3rd case?
No, because at 100 units, Powerful Precision grants 18% pierce chance. You're also incorrect about the chance granted at 20 units, which would be 90%.
The third line would be correct if you replaced the distance with 120 units, which is the distance at (and beyond) which Powerful Precision grants no pierce chance.
The pierce chance is 100% up to 10 units away, and scales linearly with distance down to 0 at 120 units away.

"
Why do the strongbox affixes that give additional sockets and fully link contained items work together like most players assume they do? As in currently, the added sockets will not be linked by the other modifier.
You are incorrect. The adding sockets stat is processed first, adding sockets to the items. The fully linked stat is processed after that, and links all the sockets the item has, even the additional ones.
However, before everyone starts wasting currency trying to roll this, these two mods can't roll together on the same chest. It would have to be a unique chest with both those mods in order to have both of them.

"
Eonswrath wrote:
Discharge has a unit cap of 30, is this a technical limitation or a balance issue?
This was covered in my first response.

"
Eonswrath wrote:
Why isn't this conveyed to the player in a deliberate manner? There is no target limit listed on the gem, how are we supposed to know?
You aren't supposed to know. This isn't a game mechanic, it's a behind-the-scenes detail of how things work at a low level.

"
surVfate wrote:
So... Blast Rain and Accuracy, did BR just ignore the Acc due to being an ground aoe skill or did I miss something here because I don't really have much Acc and BR still hit like normal it seem.
Blast Rain was bugged and was checking spell dodge rather than evasion/regular dodge.
"
Sjanna wrote:
Does Curse effectiveness increase the "Other effects on Cursed enemies expire 40% slower" from Temporal Chains or the "2% of damage leeched as life" from Warlords Mark?
Yes, it increases any numerical quality of the curse.
"
Sjanna wrote:
Does Flask effectiveness increase the 2% life leech from Chaos Damage on Atziri's Promise, the Onslaught from Silver Flask or the Increased Critical Strike Chance from Diamond Flask?
As above - yes, except for Onslaught, which is not a numerical property, but a boolean state. A character either does or does not have Onslaught, and 20% increased "having Onslaught" is still having it.

EDIT: As has been pointed out, this is incorrect. The question said their Diamond Flask was giving increased critical strike chance (which would be affected by this modifier), but Diamond Flasks do not increase critical strike chance, they make it Lucky, which like Onslaught, is boolean, and cannot be increased.

"
Sjanna wrote:
When I use Freezing Pulse linked with spell echo and have the Trickster node Weave the Arcane which gives me "20% chance to Recover Mana on Skill use" will that chance roll once per spell echo or twice?
You only used the skill once, and it repeated. It rolls once per skill use.
"
Sjanna wrote:
Why does the pierce support gem work with skills that have 100% base pierce chance? Freezing Pulse for example.
Because it's a projectile support, and those are projectile skills. Making this specific interaction more detailed by implementing a specific new skill type for things that inherently pierce is both more trouble than it's worth and less futureproof.

"
DT020 wrote:
How does Saboteur's "Chain reaction" and "Bomb Specialist" interact?
Suppose that I have 10 traps on ground and one trap triggers, which causes all traps to trigger. Do all traps get the 10*8% damage bonus?
This depends on the traps. The traps don't stop existing until they've finished using their skill. If the skill is one that calcualtes damage at that point, such as Ice Nova, then the traps will be there at the time damage is calcualted, and apply. If they fire projectiles which don't hit anything until after the trap has already gone, then they won't be there when that projectile hits something and calculates it's damage.

"
Dmillz wrote:
The new unique Breath of the Council, does the "Increased duration of chaos damage skills" apply to poison applied by those skills?
Poison is modified by skill duration modifiers, so yes.

"
Heikss wrote:
Why does the aftershock from earthquake not give endurance charges on kill when you are using blasphemy warlords mark.
It does give charges. However, if you move on and leave the aftershock to kill things, those might not still be in the aura when they're killed. It also doesn't get around the only one-charge-per-skill restriction, so if you kill something with the initial hit and get the charge, you won't get a second charge from the aftershock.

"
how exactly does weapon flat dmg interact with passives? does it calculate from the total weapon dmg or from the affix and base weapon dmg, and then gets amplified by the weapon mod?
All local modifiers on a weapon contribute to that weapon's damage, which can be seen on the item. This total is what you get as base damage for equipping the weapon, to which your modifiers apply.

"
torand wrote:
What all affects shield charge movement speed? Movement speed modifiers, and attack speed modifiers (At least from the faster attacks support gem) seem to. What about base attack time of weapon, attack speed on gear or tree?
Movement speed modifiers and Attack Speed modifiers. Where they come from is irrelevant.

"
Swongs wrote:
Why are all guardian scendancy skills considered auras but not actually affected by aura radius (this is important) and effectiveness (makes sense for balancing purposes)?
They are Auras, and would be affected by increased Aura radius, and increased Effect of Auras.
However, you do not have those modifiers. They are not Aura Skills, nor are they Auras you Cast. Thus they can't be affected by
increased radius of Aura Skills, or
increased effect of non-Curse Auras you Cast.

"
Tk42OnE wrote:
If I use "summon skeletons" on a spell totem, I'm assuming the damage those skeletons inflict is reduced by the spell totems (35 to 26% less damage) penalty.
Yes. The penalty is "less Damage", and the skeletons are dealing damage, so are affected.
"
Tk42OnE wrote:
If I choose the Shamanistic Fury passive node (24% increased Totem Damage) does that help to counteract that penalty?
No. The bonus is "increased Totem Damage", and the skeletons are not dealing Totem Damage.

"
xaitv wrote:
If I have the boots enchant "adds x-x fire if you've killed recently", will it affect the Explosive Arrow explosion?
Yes. The damage is not limited to attacks and/or spells, so will apply to all hits of damage.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jun 28, 2016, 8:31:32 PM
"
How amount of bonus damage of "Unholy Damage" (Cata's minions' aura) buff is calculated?
I'm not sure what you're referring to, sorry.

"
Serleth wrote:
I'd like a clarification on the damage calculation for skills. The wiki appears to have either removed or buried the information.

Am I understanding it correctly that it goes like:

Net Damage = ([Base Damage * Sum of Increased Damage Modifiers] * Product of More Damage Modifiers)
This part is roughly correct, yes.
"
Serleth wrote:
* Sum of Debuff Modifiers

Debuff example would be Shocked Ground from Vaal Lit Trap, Vulnerability Curse, Wither Stacks.
This part is not. What you're referring to are modifiers to damage taken, and are entirely separate to modifiers to damage dealt. They are inherently not part of the same calculation.
The result of the first calculation is your damage, this is then mitigated by resistances/armour/etc, to obtain the base damage dealt. These modifiers apply to that value.
They follow the same rules as all modifiers - increased/reduced modifiers of this type are additive, more/less modifiers are multiplicative.

"
yop42 wrote:
If I use poisoning minions, is the duration of their poison affected by my increased duration passive nodes ? (I would guess no)
and by an increased duration gem linked to them ? (I would guess yes)
Correct on both counts.

"
yop42 wrote:
I've seen a lot of different info about whether reflected damage is
affected or not by monster stats/mods and/or map mods, as I understand it I would
guess that it counts as if you hit yourself with all your own stats (accuracy, crit, RT,
penetration, etc) with the reflect percentage applied, and that the enemy you hit
(or any map mod) has no effect in any way. Is that correct ?
Reflected damage cannot crit. But you are correct that you're hitting yourself, so it's your own accuracy, etc. Reflected damage cannot be modified by damage modifiers, and cannot cause on-hit effects, including penetration.

"
is the Slayer's Headsman passive supposed to prevent on kill effects from curses like Poachers mark, Assassins mark, and Warlord's mark?
No. It does not do this and is not intended to. I don't understand why you think it would be?
"
Why can't on-block effects be triggered by blocking reflect?
Reflect can't trigger anything. It does not trigger any on-hit effects, of which on-block effects are a subset.

"
Mishima_jp wrote:
Necromancer-Spirit Eater say "2% increased Attack and Cast Speed for each Corpse consumed Recently".
1. Only offering skills do "consume"? Detonate Dead or Raise Zombie didn't increase speed. What they do?
2. Additional offering done in 4 sec didn't increase speed. Is this intended?
This is currently bugged, thank you for bringing it to my attention. It will be fixed in the future.

"
DrunkenMimes wrote:
Why do summon raging spirits not have a tool tip DPS? This makes it extremely difficult to judge how much damage you are doing with different passives and support gems.
You aren't doing any damage. This is the basic reason - that skill cannot possibly deal damage. It summons a minion, which, once it's been summoned and thus has it's own entirely separate set of stats that aren't part of that skill or directly calculatable from that skill, that minion uses an attack that does damage.
This is inherently not DPS of the Summon Raging Spirit skill, and cannot be displayed as such.
The calculation of damage accounts for well over 6000 lines of code. Duplicating all of that with different inputs in order to attempt to predict the damage output of a monster that doesn't exist yet and thus has no stats is infeasible and would lead to massive problems with having to maintain the two sets of calculations in parallel.
There are improvements planned for the character screen in the long term, but for now the fundamental fact that the minion's damage is not the skill's damage, and has nothing to do with the skill's damage, makes this effectively impossible.
"
SamOnion wrote:
When in Merciless, does it matter from which act you purchase Prophecies
No.

"
uberhasu wrote:
I have taken the Ascendancy Skill node Outmatch and Outlast which grants :
"
25% chance to gain a Frenzy Charge on Kill with Main Hand
25% chance to gain an Endurance Charge on Kill with Off Hand

I am playing an Obliterate wander that scales Chaos damage to get most of my kills, which as a result leads to most of my kills coming by way of either the poison DoT or the Obliteration on death proc. It would seem as though neither of these types of kills result in the kill being credited to my character and thus I do not reliably generate charges.
You are incorrect - those kills are credited to your character. They are, however, inherently not main-hand, nor off-hand kills, which means that passive cannot apply to them.

"
ReddoHoku wrote:
Does the taunt from other sources besides players (Stone Golem, for example) also apply the less damage taken? Meaning that if my Golem taunts a mob, I'll take 10% less damage from that mob?
Yes.

"
ReddoHoku wrote:
Does the taunt from other sources besides players (Stone Golem, for example) also apply the less damage taken? Meaning that if my Golem taunts a mob, I'll take 10% less damage from that mob?

"
Antdood wrote:
Let's say I'm using blade vortex with hatred on. I pop atziri's promise. I get extra chaos scaling off my physical on blade vortex. Do I get extra chaos scaling off my cold from hatred?
Yes.

"
TinyCamera wrote:
If I link Abyssal cry with poison and I have 100% increased Warcry duration from War bringer, will the poison inflicted have the extra duration?
No. Poison is not a Warcry.

"
TinyCamera wrote:
Similar question, if I have "increased Chaos skill duration" from the new unique mace, how will that interact with Heavy Strike(a non chaos skill) linked with poison
Not at all
"
TinyCamera wrote:
and Essence Drain(a chaos skill) linked with poison.
Essence Drain will have "increased Skill Effect Duration", which is a stat that applies to poison (among other things).

"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
1) What methods of mitigation apply to Thorns damage? Is it similar to Reflect where anything that mitigates your own attack will also mitigate it's reflected damage, or is that magical damage type that can't be blocked or dodged?

2) Reflect surely counts as a Hit for purposes of Armor, but does Thorns count for that as well?
I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry. There is no "Thorns" damage in PoE.
"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
More confirmation than anything else on this one: do Headsman (Slayer Ability)/Paragon of Calamity (Elementalist Ability), Sibyl's Lament (in the appropriate slot), and Fortify all stack additively? Would that result in Physical or Elemental Reflect immunity?
Yes.
"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
Also, an unrelated question: What's the official name for Ascendancy abilities such as Headsman and Paragon of Calamity? They don't seem like Keystones, but they are also more significant than Notables.
Technically, they are Notables, although since you can't socket an Inspired Learning jewel near them, this doesn't matter mechanically. I'm not aware of any other specific name for them.

"
Snailic wrote:
How does Increased Attack Damage (from something such as Crown of Eyes) work with The Goddess Unleashed and the new 'Fated' Doomfletch, specifically the mod: Add X% Bow/Sword as Y Element(s)?
If it applies at the end of all the conversions, wouldn't that effectively make it a 'MORE' multiplier?But if it applies to the Physical and then the Fire, wouldn't the effect of Increased Attack Damage be doubled for the Fire and not for the Physical?
These are, as you've correctly noted, conversions. Converted damage (or converted anything) is the thing it's converted to, and is affected by modifiers to it, but it is also affected by modifiers to the thing it used to be. So the fire damage that was converted to physical is affected by increased fire damage, increased physical damage, and increased attack damage, and all of these stack additively, since they're increases.

"
Magickage wrote:
For the longest time people kept saying that a 'bow' tag on a skill meant that it had 'projectile' as an implicit
This is incorrect, but grounded in truth.
"
Magickage wrote:
meaning that all projectile modifiers apply.
This is extremely incorrect. Gem tags do not indicate which modifiers apply to something. That's not their purpose, nor could they be adequate for that purpose.
Gem tags exist to classify gems into groups, primarily so we can give "+1 to level of socketed TAG gems" and have that mean something. They also help clarify the types of skill, such as which skills are curses.
Bow skills do not get the "Projectile" tag, because they already have the "Bow" tag, which implies they are projectile skills, and makes having the tag redundant.
"
Magickage wrote:
But then there's blast rain. Blast rain benefits from projectile damage modifiers, but somehow doesn't get projectiles added when supported by LMP/GMP. Does this then mean that blast rain doesn't actually shoot projectiles?
Correct. It does not fire any projectiles.
"
Magickage wrote:
If not, how is it even possible for projectile damage to apply to it?
By classifying it's damage as "projectile damage", just as was done for Rain of Arrows, because this made intuitive sense.
"
Kreathak wrote:
I got a question about The Tempest (the fated version of Stormcloud).
Is the "100% increased Lightning Damage" modifier local or global?
Global
"
Kreathak wrote:
And if it's global, why does it behave differently than the "x% increased Physical Damage" modifier despite the similar wording?
Distinguishing between whether a mod is local or global is done by whether that mod could affect the base properties of the item, not other mods it has. Weapons don't have a base value of lightning damage to increase, they do have a value of physical damage to increase.

"
WitchKiller wrote:
For each of the following skills, here's my current interpretation, please correct me where possible :)
1. Kinetic Blast's "less Area Damage". This is applied to the initial AoE hit and any DoTs that are caused by the AoE hit.
Yes.
"
WitchKiller wrote:
2. Earthquake's "Aftershock deals X% more damage". This is applied to the initial aftershock hit and any DoTs created by the aftershock hit
No. The aftershock is a specific part of the skill that hits things. Degens are inherently not the aftershock.
"
WitchKiller wrote:
3. Mirror/Blink Arrow's "Minions deal 75% more damage". This is applied to any hit the clone deals and any DoTs applied by that clone
Correct. "Minion Damage" modifiers work by giving the minion the eqiuvalent "Damage" modifier as a base property.
"
WitchKiller wrote:
4. Fire Nova Mine. This works like case 2 described above.
It is the same as case 2, but your description of case 2 was wrong. It only applies to the hit.
"
WitchKiller wrote:
5. Flamesurge's "50% more damage against burning enemies". This is applied to the initial hit and any Poison effect on a burning enemy (since it can't ignite)
This is hit-only, like all conditional damage modifiers. Degen can't check those.
"
WitchKiller wrote:
6. Shield Charge's "200% more damage at maximum charge distance". This is applied to the initial hit and any DoTs the charge may have caused (Voidheart ftw!)
Only the hit has a charge distance. This only applies to the hit.
"
WitchKiller wrote:
7. Flameblast's "110% more spell damage per stage". This is applied to the initial hit only and to no DoTs caused by Flameblast as spell damage doesn't affect DoTs.
Correct.

"
orlp wrote:
In what order does reflect damage and leech apply
Leech first, then reflect.
"
orlp wrote:
and if it's "reflect -> damage", can you hit 0 life and then immediately leech back up?
If it happened in that order, that would not be possible - you'd die. That's why it doesn't happen in that order.

"
KawaiiLoli wrote:
While I'm casting a flameblast, does my arctic armour affect reflected damage if I move to cancel flameblast?
No, because you're moving at the time it deals damage.
"
KawaiiLoli wrote:
While I'm casting a flameblast, does casting rallying shout affect flameblast damage if I use rallying shout to cancel flameblast cast?
No. Flameblast will go off when you start casting Rallying Cry, not when Rallying Cry takes effect, which is later.

"
Buology wrote:
Mark, with Grip of the Council Arcanist Gloves granting minions 20% of their physical damage as bonus cold damage how effective might cold to fire gem be? Does the damage double dip?
No.
"
Buology wrote:
I still do not fully understand the order of damages...
I do not mind doing the math myself I just do not know the order of operations.
Base damage is worked out by taking the base damage of the skill, plus any relevant additional damage.
Conversion (extra X damage as Y is a form of conversion) all happens before modifiers. Converted damage will continue to be converted to new types if you have more conversion stats - if you have some physical as cold and some cold as fire, you'll have some of your physical damage as fire (via cold).
Damage can be affected by any modifiers which could apply to any of the types it was converted through. So that fire damage that was cold damage that was physical damage, is affected by any modifiers which would apply to physical damage, or to cold damage, or to fire damage. No modifier can apply to the same damage twice.

"
TotalNoob69 wrote:
It seems like the Scaeva's crit chance modifier in main hand is local. When talking about Daresso's Passion you said that conditional mods are global. Am I doing math wrong and it is global or it there something unique about this mod?
Technically this would fall under your "something unique about this mod" category, in that this mod is bugged. It's applying multiplicatively, rather than correctly as an additive modifier. This has been fixed locally and will be in a future patch.

"
TotalNoob69 wrote:
Why does Cyclone not work when under the effects of Vaal Rain of Arrows when you can still Whirling Blades?
Because Vaal Rain of Arrows removes your movement speed. Cyclone moves you at your movement speed, Whirling Blades ignores movement speed and moves you based on your attack time.

"
TotalNoob69 wrote:
Is there some technical limitation that stops degen/regen from being applied in the same step? Right now if you use Blood Rage you sit just below full always.
Taking 10 damage and healing 10 damage each frame is inherently different from taking no damage. Each needs to be processed and can trigger different things (ES recharge inhibition, for example). The functions that apply degen can't apply regen, and vice versa.

"
Maximus9229 wrote:
Does increased AoE from tree affect Bacon of Ruins from Elementalist?
The Most Delicious Passive Skill applies elemental proliferation to your hits. This is inherently affected by area modifiers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info