Mechanical Questions Thread

Why dd boxes sometimes waiting when you get closer to the corpse, and then explode it. It was a first time for me that box actually was waiting for me to come closer (usually box dd when i've opened it, or when i've killed all monsters). I've opened box (no corpses around), killed some monsters (not all of them), leaped away - nothing happened. At this moment i thought, it will detonate later, but i was wrong, it detonated all the bodies at the same moment (it was a not usual chain reaction, just boom - all bodies that i've done) as soon as i moved closer.

This is correct dd box mechanic?
This is probably a really horrible question, one of so many that I have but I'll spare everyone. I've been reading the forums for so long and just am missing so much information. I don't know if I have to play to figure it out or what. I've just come back to the game after a long time and never played much previously, so I'm still learning and struggling.

The question:

How in the world does crit work??

I've taken a stupid amount of crit nodes, every one I can see, which is horrible for my survival.. but I just wanted to see what it could be like. I know my gear isn't anywhere near where it should be, I did even try two daggers with 60% global crit on them iirc. This character has had the absolutely worst luck ever when it comes to drops. I may need to restart him just based on that fact.

Anyway. From all that I have taken, I still only have around 20% change to crit. I don't understand how with so many crit chance nodes and some crit chance gear, how it can be so low. Again. Sorry for what is likely basic knowledge.
"
Ridelith wrote:
How exactly does Multistrike interact with Molten Strike?
Multistrike, as I understand, repeats Molten Strike 2 additional times. This means that it fires 3 times the original projectiles? (If I have 9 then it fires 27 each hit?) And that counts for each attack per second shown in the tooltip? So if I have 9 projectiles and 6 aps, that's 9x3x6 = 162 projectiles per second? And each one of those can proc Mjolner?

Also, whenever I try to printscreen the Multistriked Molten Strike and count the projectiles they always seem to add up to some amount between 21-24 even though they are theoretically 27. Is that just me counting wrong or is there a limit to the amount of projectiles Molten Strike can fire in 1 use?

Multistrike works the same on every attack, it makes it so you press your attack once, and it attacks 3 times. It works just the same as if you didn't have Multistrike and just attacked 3 times.

So, if you have a Molten Strike with 9 projectiles, every time Molten Strike attacks, it fires 9 projectiles.

If you have Multistrike Molten Strike will attack 3 times, so it will attack 3 times with 9 projectiles, it works exactly the same as if you just attacked 3 times. There's no in depth advanced functionality, it works literally the exact same way as if you just attacked 3 times, but with the added benefit of higher attack speed, less mana cost per attack, and auto targeting on the last 2 attacks.
My question is regarding Hrimburn.

If I have both fire and cold damage in one attack/spell will they conglomerate to one source of base damage for an ignite? Or are they separate sources? I suppose this question is also relevant to the Elemental Conflux buff.
"
frenzul wrote:
This is probably a really horrible question, one of so many that I have but I'll spare everyone. I've been reading the forums for so long and just am missing so much information. I don't know if I have to play to figure it out or what. I've just come back to the game after a long time and never played much previously, so I'm still learning and struggling.

The question:

I've taken a stupid amount of crit nodes, every one I can see, which is horrible for my survival.. but I just wanted to see what it could be like. I know my gear isn't anywhere near where it should be, I did even try two daggers with 60% global crit on them iirc. This character has had the absolutely worst luck ever when it comes to drops. I may need to restart him just based on that fact.

Anyway. From all that I have taken, I still only have around 20% change to crit. I don't understand how with so many crit chance nodes and some crit chance gear, how it can be so low. Again. Sorry for what is likely basic knowledge.

Attacks use the weapons base crit chance. Spells use the spells base crit chance. Any extra %crit chance is worked off of your base. If you have +100% spell crit chance then Your crit chance will be +100% off of your base spell crit chance. (Let's say you have a base of 5%, you would have 10%.).

Make sure you have the right type of crit chance. Also, make sure you have not missed nodes.

I'm at level 59 and i have 47% crit chance (IIRC) only using a maligaro's virtuosity (50% global crit chance). So i think you might have missed a few nodes.

Also, power charges give +50% crit chance.
"
frenzul wrote:

Crit works like this: BaseCritChance*(BaseCritChance+IncreasedCritChance)

In simpler terms, and I'm going to assume you're talking about your character Brihtstan using EK:
You have 60% Global Critical Strike Chance on 1 of your weapons with 46% Critical Strike Chance for Spells, and 40% on the other. You have 150% Increased Critical Strike Chance and 100% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells. Edit: Noticed you also have a level 6 Ice Golem, but I'm too lazy to change my numbers to accommodate for it ^^

That is 60+46+40+150+100=396

Ethereal Knives has a Base Crit Chance of 6%

The Base Crit Chance can be seen on the tooltip of Spells, if you are using an attack, such as Cyclone, the Base Crit Chance is what is seen on your weapons.

So let's go back to the start, BaseCritChance*(BaseCritChance+IncreasedCritChance)
This can be calculated in a few ways, the "correct" way is to just take the Increased Critical Strike Chance, and divide it by 100, and then add 1.
6*((396/100)+1)=6*4.96=29.76

Another way to do it, which to me is a lot easier, is to just add all the increased Crit Chance, and use a calculator and take the BaseCritChance+IncreasedCritChance%
6+396%=29.76

The best way to get a high Crit Chance is by using Increased Critical Strikes Support, as the "x% to Critical Strike" is +x% to Base Critical Strike Chance. Also it has a large Increased Critical Strike Chance percentage. And with Power Charges, as they give 50% inc Crit Strike Chance each.

So a level 20 Inc Crit Strikes Support would have 1.9% to Base Critical Strike and 88 Increased Critical Strike Chance.
So we already had 396% Increased Crit, so 396+88=484%
EK Base Crit was 6, so 6+1.9=7.9%
Meaning, adding that one support would make your crit chance: 7.9+484%=46.136%

Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Critical_strike and 3.5 years of playing PoE.

P.S. Melee Physical Damage Support does not work with Ethereal Knives. If you look at the Ethereal Knives tooltip you can see the skill tags right underneath the name, so for EK that would be "Projectile, Spell".
Meaning, it's not Melee, but rather Projectile and Spell, meaning that giving it more Melee Physical Damage won't work, as it doesn't have any Melee Physical Damage, only Projectile Spell Physical Damage.
Last edited by hamudra on Jul 7, 2016, 3:33:40 PM
"
hamudra wrote:

P.S. Melee Physical Damage Support does not work with Ethereal Knives. If you look at the Ethereal Knives tooltip you can see the skill tags right underneath the name, so for EK that would be "Projectile, Spell".
Meaning, it's not Melee, but rather Projectile and Spell, meaning that giving it more Melee Physical Damage won't work, as it doesn't have any Melee Physical Damage, only Projectile Spell Physical Damage.

Holy math...

Ok. First. Thank you a thousand times over for taking the time to try and explain that to me. It makes more sense now. I could just not understand how having 300%+ crit somehow boiled down to ~20%. I was using the crit chance support for a while too, but seeing the 1.0% just made no sense to me.

Thank you. I didn't follow a build, as you could surely tell from my disgusting aimless passive tree.. but a build I looked at did explain how EK is projectile/spell and not melee. Now you're saying melee physical doesn't work, I would assume it doesn't.. but thought I hadn't taken any. In the passives, it just says %physical. That should be fine right? I assumed it was any physical and it seemed like my tooltip damage was increasing a little each time I took one.

Now I just wish I had understood Cast on Crit when I made this character. I wanted to use EK for Cast on Crit to trigger ice spells and that apparently is not the case at all.

I really appreciate the time you took in your response, many others have not afforded me such.
Hello,

I asked this question to Support and was redirected here, so I would like to inquire regarding the following:

Clarification on how Assassin's Mark interacts with Critical Strike Chance.

Primarily, another forum member and I have been discussing the contents on this (somewhat old) Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2j37ir/psa_how_assassins_mark_works_additive_can_go_over/

According to the Wiki, Assassin's Mark is an additive property that is applied after a "final" Critical Strike Chance on the player is calculated. Example given in the Wiki is 20% Critical Strike Chance + 5% (Level 1 Assassin's Mark) Additional Chance, is of course 25%.

Can I get confirmation that if I have 95% Critical Strike Chance, that a Level 1 Assassin's Mark applied to an enemy would equate in 100% Critical Strike Chance, or the ability to go over the Critical Strike Chance cap of 95%?

This information is NOT in the Wiki, so it would be nice to receive an official statement on this.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
frenzul wrote:
Now you're saying melee physical doesn't work, I would assume it doesn't.. but thought I hadn't taken any.

The Melee Physical is from the support linked with your EK ^^

"
Now I just wish I had understood Cast on Crit when I made this character. I wanted to use EK for Cast on Crit to trigger ice spells and that apparently is not the case at all.

Yeah, EK is very commonly confused with an Attack even though it is a spell.

It sounds like you already know this now, but in case you don't, Cast on Crits tooltip is "Supported Attacks have a (50 to 69)% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you Crit an Enemy"

So a Skill Gem with the tag "Attack" in its tooltip can trigger Cast on Crit to cast a Skill Gem with the tag "spell" in the tooltip.

GGG has always made sure to be extremely careful with the wording of things to explain as thoroughly as they can, but there are a lot of specific terms that can be taken in multiple different ways making it difficult to understand in the beginning. Also, (from my experience) these terms are not explained very well, and they don't seem to be too easy to just accidentally stumble upon.

Once you know what all terms know it's very easy to understand what does what, the best way to get help is by using the wiki http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki.
It's extremely thorough in most areas, and gives both simple, and advanced explanations of most things.
"
Can I get confirmation that if I have 95% Critical Strike Chance, that a Level 1 Assassin's Mark applied to an enemy would equate in 100% Critical Strike Chance

Yes, Assassin's Mark can give you 100% Critical Strike Chance on an enemy, assuming the enemy does not have reduced curse effectiveness reducing the curse to less than 5%.

In the Reddit post you posted this is thoroughly explained.

The top comment also explains that you can't get 100% chance to crit if you are using an attack without a "hits can't be evaded" mod. As you can only have 95% chance to hit, and crit is reduced by your hit chance.
Last edited by hamudra on Jul 7, 2016, 4:08:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info