Mechanical Questions Thread

There are four Damage sources: Attack, Spell, Damage over Time, and secondary Damage. These are mutually exclusive - a Spell never deals Attack Damage, and Damage over Time is never Spell Damage. Whether you take or deal Damage over Time doesn't matter, the game mechanics function the same.

edit; one of many sources for this information.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 5, 2018, 1:23:53 AM
Hello. I wrote an e-mail to GGG with this question and was asked to post it in this thread instead for some reason. I don't know how to search for related questions so I'm just going to post it out of frustration. I apologize if it has been answered.

"
Hello GGG.

I've been having great trouble completing the last challenges for "Complete these encounters 3".

I'm playing an aura support, the only character I have this league, and I can't seem to complete the challenges involving Hybrid Widow, Gnar and Erythrophagia.

I tried a number of different things on Erythrophagia today with a carry. I'm going to list the things that we tried in order to do this to troubleshoot it:

1: I tag the boss, dealing damage to it and make sure I have all 3 curses on me without using warding flask while he kills it.
2: I tag the boss, he kills the boss while he stands in all 3 curses.
3: I tag the boss, we both stand in all 3 curses as he kills the boss.

We did the killing in the Phantasmagoria map.

It doesn't work. Do I really have to actually hit the killing blow to do this challenge? If so, it highly confuses me because I've already completed Belcer, Witch of the Cauldron and Stonebeak without dealing the killing blow.

I really hope this can be resolved so that I can finish my challenges for this league.

"
XTNash wrote:
Elder is dissapeared. after i killed Elder yestarday, i do like 50 maps and not elder maps. i have just 2 map with shaper influece, i kill "shaper" map and "shaper" just change map. 2 shaper map anytime NO ELDER influence. where is?

That either sounds like an actual bug, or you should try running non-Shaper influenced maps until elder pops up somewhere. If you believe it’s a bug, email support@grindinggeargames.com or make a Bug Report thread.
"
DashDigital wrote:
Hello. I wrote an e-mail to GGG with this question and was asked to post it in this thread instead for some reason. I don't know how to search for related questions so I'm just going to post it out of frustration. I apologize if it has been answered.

Hello GGG.

I've been having great trouble completing the last challenges for "Complete these encounters 3".

I'm playing an aura support, the only character I have this league, and I can't seem to complete the challenges involving Hybrid Widow, Gnar and Erythrophagia.

I tried a number of different things on Erythrophagia today with a carry. I'm going to list the things that we tried in order to do this to troubleshoot it:

1: I tag the boss, dealing damage to it and make sure I have all 3 curses on me without using warding flask while he kills it.
2: I tag the boss, he kills the boss while he stands in all 3 curses.
3: I tag the boss, we both stand in all 3 curses as he kills the boss.

We did the killing in the Phantasmagoria map.

It doesn't work. Do I really have to actually hit the killing blow to do this challenge? If so, it highly confuses me because I've already completed Belcer, Witch of the Cauldron and Stonebeak without dealing the killing blow.

I really hope this can be resolved so that I can finish my challenges for this league.

Did you try, not hitting the boss at all? Except in the Erythrophagia case, yeah the wording makes it sound like you need to be the one killing it, while triple cursed. Not That hard just use Frost Blade+culling setup once he get’s it low enough, or Kinetic+culling if you have a wand.

(FYI I also posted my question that Support told me to post here, like 2 pages ago, about Spectre+their minions mechanics. If Mark or someone could check)
Last edited by Parzival1423 on Feb 6, 2018, 5:00:29 PM
Yeah, I've also tried just afking in the middle of the 3 curses while boss gets killed. I can't seem to get it.

My confusion and frustrating starts when the other similarly worded challenges didn't require me to land the killing blow.
Last edited by DashDigital on Feb 6, 2018, 5:46:55 PM
"
DashDigital wrote:
Yeah, I've also tried just afking in the middle of the 3 curses while boss gets killed. I can't seem to get it.

My confusion and frustrating starts when the other similarly worded challenges didn't require me to land the killing blow.

Again, for that boss you Should be the one killing it/last hitting it, dunno why. It does seem to be the only one that mentions specific body placement though, if I remember correctly, while the others probably just require you to kill the boss after a non-standOnlyHere challenge, like 30 souls.

Again, it shouldn’t be that hard to put on a quick Frost Blades or Kinetic Blast(for wand) + culling strike gem, even if you have literally no damage. (Blades because it’s an extremely long ranged skill)
"
Parzival1423 wrote:
"
Druga1757 wrote:
How are league mechanics spawned in maps? (Breaches, Trials, Exiles, challenge league spawns like Abysses) - do they all have the same chance to spawn, are they all in the same pool? What happens if you add prophecies, sextants, Zana mods etc?

This comes from a concern that as more league mechanics are rolled into the base game, trials become rarer to find. This is a concern at the start of a league trying to unlock uber lab, especially on SSF.

Sorry if this has already been asked, I couldn't limit my search to just this thread.

It depends per mechanic. Basically at the end of each league, GGG has to decide how the mechanic is added to the main game, if at all. Right before the end of each league, they give a memo telling everyone their thoughts and why and what will happen with it.

-Breach is 10% chance per map, and not during leveling. Trials aren’t a league mechanic, they are an expansion mechanic, so they have their own separate chance to spawn in a map. Essences have a low chance in any location. Exiles, same. Silver coins were kept in the drop pool of any mob, but at a drastically lower rate. Sextanta are their own permanent expansion mechanic. And Zana mods are actually a way of keeping league spawns and uniques without making them freely available, which becomes another option to consider for GGG to do with a league mechanic.

Link to source? I see the 10% on the wiki for breach, but no source cited. Is that 10% regardless of whether the map is sextanted, has prophecies enabled, zana mods, league mechanics enabled, etc?

With War for atlas, they also added elder/shaper spawns - do they share the same pool as trials, league mechanics, or other?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

"
Druga1757 wrote:
Link to source?

Developer Manifesto: Breach and Legacy as Core Game Mechanics

"
Is that 10% regardless of whether the map is sextanted, has prophecies enabled, zana mods, league mechanics enabled, etc?

With War for atlas, they also added elder/shaper spawns - do they share the same pool as trials, league mechanics, or other?

We do not have any source or even empirical observation (as far as I know) that would suggest that any of the different past league or expansion mechanics interfere with each other in any way. Occam's Razor would suggest that they don't.

There is currently a bug that makes Abyssal Depths unable to spawn in maps which already have another sub-area (master missions, trials, Elder and his guardians). Since this is explicitly called a bug, it seems that the intent is for different mechanics to not interfere with each other.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 6, 2018, 9:30:02 PM
Does Aspect of the Eagle ("20% increased Damage with Bows") affect the damage of the DoT effect of Caustic Arrow?

I am trying to determine whether "With (weapon)" modifiers always specifically refer to Hits with Attacks dealt by that weapon. Clearly they don't apply to spells (spells never use a weapon). I gathered from various sources that they don't apply to ailments caused by attacks. The only question is damage over time caused by attacks that is not the result of an ailment.

Curiously, the only single combination of a skill and modifier where this actually applies I could find is the one mentioned above.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Feb 7, 2018, 3:52:51 AM
"With Weapon" is implicitly an Attack-specific modifier. As you well know, DoT is not Attack Damage :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info