Mechanical Questions Thread

I'm sorry if this has been asked before:

Are unarmed builds affected by the weapon range changes at all?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
DMINATOR wrote:
Let's say blind is applied on an enemy - now does this enemy has his chance to hit lessened globally ?

Entities only have one Chance to Hit value, so, yes.
I have several questions of a mechanical nature i'm hoping mark or someone else can help me with:

1. Something i think i just realized after playing this game for quite a long time is that there may be a difference between more dmg and increased dmg. I changed a melee physical damage support gem with a fortify support gem on a purely physical attack and although the percentage increases where roughly the same, there was a huge difference in dps. I noticed melee phys dmg said more damage, while fortify said increased dmg. Is that the reason for the difference in damage? And if so exactly how does more dmg work as opposed to increased dmg? This may explain why people think Pain Attunement is so good while i think it's only ok o.O

2. I feel like i'm getting a handle on how life leech works, but there is still one thing that i'm not sure about. After a patch a long time several people told me that 2% life leech was the cap and i've sorta used that as a rule after that so i feel i have the max needed when i have say a life leech gem that has 2% life leech at all levels, but a suspect now that those 2% may refer to something else like maybe that the cap is on 2% of maximum life leeched per instance of leech, and that one could still benefit from say 7% life leech from physical attacks through a combination of gear and passives. Could someone clear this up for me? If this is the case would there be a theoretical limit where more life leech would no longer benefit you depending on how your character is built or would more always be better?

3. Not sure if this is a question for this thread, but i seem to remember there is something other that Shavronne's Revelation that grants unconverted energy shield regeneration (to be extra clear i'm not talking about zealot's oath), but i've searched and i canæt find anything.

4. Powerful Precision from the Deadeye ascendancy tree generally confuses me, but one thing in particular. With this node arrows will pierce, but also return. How exactly will that play out? Will the arrow hit one enemy and then return, piercing nothing at all? Will the arrow hit the enemy, pierce and then hit the same enemy one more time before returning, or will it pierce all enemies in it's projected path before it returns and then hit them all again?. This would be for only one arrow.
I'm using Tornado Shot with Greater multiple projectiles and and extra arrow from Endless munitions and i wouldn't even dare speculate how that plays out with Powerful precision. I have 60% pierce to begin with, and considering getting 100% if i don't get Powerful Precision as this notable would put me above 100% in most cases and there would be no need to get more pierce. But i have no idea whether i should get it because atm it feels like i understand the returning arrows, in particular, so badly that i can't even say whether choosing Powerful Precision would be a great benefit for me or actually very bad. In addition there is a further problem with tornado shot specifically, would returning projectiles also affect Tornado Shot's subprojetiles? Could someone clear all this up for me?
Guys, tell me pls, how does item rarity and quantity works with culling strike golem?
I have golem linked with culling strike and item rarity support gems, does it applies for him, and does IR of my character also applies?
"

1. Something i think i just realized after playing this game for quite a long time is that there may be a difference between more dmg and increased dmg.

Good observation skills there, most new players assume it all works the same and can't identify why they get less bonus than they expect.

In this game, all increased and reduced modifiers to the same calculated number, or net stat, stack additively. Aka if you have 20% increased spell damage and 20% increased fire damage, a 100 base damage Fireball will deal 140 damage.

In contrast, all more and less modifiers stack multiplicatively. So if you have 20% more spell damage and 20% more fire damage, a 100 base damage fireball will deal 100 * 1.2 * 1.2 = 144 damage.

Note that for multipliers greater than 1, aka net increases, more has a stronger effect than increased.

But be careful; many players, even experienced ones, miss the fact that it means for multipliers less than 1, aka net reductions, reduced has a stronger effect than less. (This is why reduced mana cost/reservation values are low, and why x% reduced damage taken is quite strong on ascendancies).

"

2. Could someone clear this up for me? If this is the case would there be a theoretical limit where more life leech would no longer benefit you depending on how your character is built or would more always be better?

Leech right now is fairly complicated. Assuming no Leech bonuses, you can think of your leech cap as 20% of your maximum Life per second, and anything over this "would no longer benefit." You can increase this cap with "+x% maximum Life Leech rate" stat.

Details

One Leech Effect is applied for every Hit that you land.
Leech Effects stack infinitely.
Leech Effects, no matter the damage value, occur at the speed of your Leech Rate, which has a base of 2% of your maximum Life per second, and is modified by increased leech rate stat.
The sum of all Leech Effects can't exceed your maximum Life Leech Rate, which has a default of 20% of your maximum Life.

The practical application of all this is that:
-if you deal one Hit of 99999999999 damage with 0.2% life leech, you will recover 2% of your maximum Life for a while.
-more Hits dealt per second increases your "acceleration," this includes more Hits from hitting more enemies
-your real DPS times your life leech amount ("x% of damage leeched as Life") tines your increased life leech rate is your "maximum speed," subject to the max life leech rate cap. Maximum speed is what you reach after sustained DPSing

"
3. Not sure if this is a question for this thread, but i seem to remember there is something other that Shavronne's Revelation that grants unconverted energy shield regeneration (to be extra clear i'm not talking about zealot's oath), but i've searched and i canæt find anything.

Occultist Ascendancy passive: Vile Bastion grants 0.5% ES regeneration per enemy killed recently
"

4. Powerful Precision from the Deadeye ascendancy tree generally confuses me, but one thing in particular.

It confuses me too, so I was originally considering just ignoring this question, but I think it might still help to share what I know for sure and what I seem to remember.

Fact: a projectile that Pierces cannot Return from that Hit

So you have to fail to pierce if you want a Return. This means that if you have 100% pierce chance, your Projectile will never return.

What I think I know: tornado shot secondary arrows are considered a continuation of the original projectile?? I remember reading that somewhere but I might have imagined it
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"cold snap" can reset the cooldown with a blue globel but it doesn't work,why?
"
bxzw wrote:
"cold snap" can reset the cooldown with a blue globel but it doesn't work,why?

Blue sphere can't reset the cooldown, it can bypass the cooldown. It is similar, but different.

There is currently a known bug where it can't bypass the cooldown when using triggered skills like Cast on Critical Strike.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Dec 5, 2016, 2:06:12 AM
"
Re: ruined legacy
..We're unable to comment on this as we're not the game developers I'm afraid. Please post your gameplay/item issue in the thread linked to you earlier in this chain and one of the developers will answer this as soon as they can.

Kind regards,
Jessica

my legacy essences of insanity are fucked !
they were >>> +20% <<< on gloves
put it back to the legacy version, i dropped that in essence
patches said CLEARLY it WOULD NOT be changed for already existing stuff !!!!
Already-crafted gear wouldn't change - Essences themselves would be updated. Deal with it.
"
adghar wrote:
"

1. Something i think i just realized after playing this game for quite a long time is that there may be a difference between more dmg and increased dmg.

Good observation skills there, most new players assume it all works the same and can't identify why they get less bonus than they expect.

In this game, all increased and reduced modifiers to the same calculated number, or net stat, stack additively. Aka if you have 20% increased spell damage and 20% increased fire damage, a 100 base damage Fireball will deal 140 damage.

In contrast, all more and less modifiers stack multiplicatively. So if you have 20% more spell damage and 20% more fire damage, a 100 base damage fireball will deal 100 * 1.2 * 1.2 = 144 damage.

Note that for multipliers greater than 1, aka net increases, more has a stronger effect than increased.

But be careful; many players, even experienced ones, miss the fact that it means for multipliers less than 1, aka net reductions, reduced has a stronger effect than less. (This is why reduced mana cost/reservation values are low, and why x% reduced damage taken is quite strong on ascendancies).

"

2. Could someone clear this up for me? If this is the case would there be a theoretical limit where more life leech would no longer benefit you depending on how your character is built or would more always be better?

Leech right now is fairly complicated. Assuming no Leech bonuses, you can think of your leech cap as 20% of your maximum Life per second, and anything over this "would no longer benefit." You can increase this cap with "+x% maximum Life Leech rate" stat.

Details

One Leech Effect is applied for every Hit that you land.
Leech Effects stack infinitely.
Leech Effects, no matter the damage value, occur at the speed of your Leech Rate, which has a base of 2% of your maximum Life per second, and is modified by increased leech rate stat.
The sum of all Leech Effects can't exceed your maximum Life Leech Rate, which has a default of 20% of your maximum Life.

The practical application of all this is that:
-if you deal one Hit of 99999999999 damage with 0.2% life leech, you will recover 2% of your maximum Life for a while.
-more Hits dealt per second increases your "acceleration," this includes more Hits from hitting more enemies
-your real DPS times your life leech amount ("x% of damage leeched as Life") tines your increased life leech rate is your "maximum speed," subject to the max life leech rate cap. Maximum speed is what you reach after sustained DPSing

"

Occultist Ascendancy passive: Vile Bastion grants 0.5% ES regeneration per enemy killed recently
"

4. Powerful Precision from the Deadeye ascendancy tree generally confuses me, but one thing in particular.

It confuses me too, so I was originally considering just ignoring this question, but I think it might still help to share what I know for sure and what I seem to remember.

Fact: a projectile that Pierces cannot Return from that Hit

So you have to fail to pierce if you want a Return. This means that if you have 100% pierce chance, your Projectile will never return.

What I think I know: tornado shot secondary arrows are considered a continuation of the original projectile?? I remember reading that somewhere but I might have imagined it

Thanks for clearing up the more vs increased issue. Still somewhat unclear on life leech and particularly powerful precision, but i know a bit more now at least. You've helped me several times adghar, both in this thread and another, so i'm gonna think of you as the helpful guy. :)

If anyone could help me further on the issues that still confuse me, i would appreciate that very much. Don't know how long it takes for GGG to respond to questions on average in this thread, as i've only used it two times and i got a good answer the first time from adghar. (your answers where good this time too adghar, i just feel i need to know exactly).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info