Why do people form all their opinions of God based on what other people do or say?

"
Ultimately my point in creating this thread was to try and understand why so many people default to hating God by not believing in Him based on what others have said about Him or said to have done in His name.

Just want to point out, I don't believe in God, but that doesn't mean I hate Him - after all , you cannot really hate something that you are convinced doesn't exist.
And following the same logic, someone who hates God isn't really an atheist, just a delusional religious person.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
"
Wazz72 wrote:
"
Ultimately my point in creating this thread was to try and understand why so many people default to hating God by not believing in Him based on what others have said about Him or said to have done in His name.

Just want to point out, I don't believe in God, but that doesn't mean I hate Him - after all , you cannot really hate something that you are convinced doesn't exist.
And following the same logic, someone who hates God isn't really an atheist, just a delusional religious person.

My sentiments exactly. I think religion was invented when humans figured out that they will die at some point.
I don't think a god would let so much suffering occur in the world. Especially to children.
I don't try to "convert" anybody to my way of thinking or subvert any faiths.
How arrogant is it to think that "your" religion is the only way to the promised land.
If religion is so great why have so many people died for it.

Cheers
It's called being a sheep... Think about if everyone knew how to run a business who would by the merchandise?
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
I've seen god

in a dragon ball series

he's called Beerus-sama

no kidding :D
Buying lvl 75 Plateau Maps - PM Amount + Price :)
"
solwitch wrote:
It's called being a sheep... Think about if everyone knew how to run a business who would by the merchandise?

Do librarians stop reading books?

As someone who has run small, medium and very large businesses, the idea of not buying merchandise is not one that crossed your mind. You do learn to recognize that some deals are better than others. You also learn that sometimes what seems like a high price is actually fair, considering what goes on behind the scenes. Sometimes merchants slit their own throats trying to keep customers away from their competitors. While this is a good deal for the consumer in the short run, in the long run, they end up paying the costs one way or the other. If company A or company B goes out of business, it's less competition, allowing the remaining companies to raise their prices without fear of losing business.

The simple answer to the question posed by the OP is this: If religion is considered to be a shared spiritual experience among a group (which most are), then why wouldn't people share ideas and opinions about their religion?
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
I based my opinions of God based on logic and reasoning not other people.

"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
solwitch wrote:

Do librarians stop reading books?

As someone who has run small, medium and very large businesses, the idea of not buying merchandise is not one that crossed your mind. You do learn to recognize that some deals are better than others. You also learn that sometimes what seems like a high price is actually fair, considering what goes on behind the scenes. Sometimes merchants slit their own throats trying to keep customers away from their competitors. While this is a good deal for the consumer in the short run, in the long run, they end up paying the costs one way or the other. If company A or company B goes out of business, it's less competition, allowing the remaining companies to raise their prices without fear of losing business.

The simple answer to the question posed by the OP is this: If religion is considered to be a shared spiritual experience among a group (which most are), then why wouldn't people share ideas and opinions about their religion?

Lol... Sarcasm doesn't sometimes come across on the forums. :P
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
Kavlor wrote:
I based my opinions of God based on logic and reasoning not other people.

Logic and reasoning taught to you by other people if I had to guess, rather than logic and reasoning taught to you by God.

God is the best teacher and source of Truth. Everyone else is at the very least a diluted deception.

I personally got to know God on a 1 on 1 basis only picking up a bible after knowing God to read it and realize much of the things in it, as far as how God interacts with man, were things I had already experienced.
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
"
solwitch wrote:
Lol... Sarcasm doesn't sometimes come across on the forums. :P

Hah, that one did indeed zing by me. I liked the idea of the color coded sarcasm tags that were used in one forum thread.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about God, there's a massive difference.

You're correct: religions exist (unfortunately) while gods don't.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info