Why do people form all their opinions of God based on what other people do or say?

Man's capacity for self-delusion is immense.

I know that, personally, I am prone to deceive myself, trick myself, confuse the facts, and misinterpret the things that I see and hear. Everyone I've ever met has had the same proclivity.

It is a struggle to try and keep everything straight and focus on reality; on real problems for which real solutions exist. Believing that a god is talking to me in my head is the embodiment of giving up the struggle -- a full retreat from reality, from understanding, and from truth itself.

---

As always, believe what you would like, but PAY YOUR TAXES!
Last edited by pneuma on Jun 2, 2016, 1:21:53 AM
"
diablofdb wrote:
Religions were the first weapons of mass destruction that were created.

According to anthropologists, mass killings predate religion. Indeed, the concept that human life holds any value at all is defined as being first evidenced by burial practices which are the prelude to religion.

What was the religion of those that developed the atomic weapons?

Blaming religion is as easy and fruitless as blaming atheism or any other group. It is a sign of bigotry, and is no better than racism.

"“I think if we ever reach the point where we think we thoroughly understand who we are and where we came from, we will have failed.” Carl Sagan.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
wat iz got?
R.I.P 4.B.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Blaming religion is as easy and fruitless as blaming atheism or any other group. It is a sign of bigotry, and is no better than racism.

That's not remotely true. Atheism carries no dogma telling you what is bad and how to kill certain people. I can't crack open "The Big Book of Atheism," flip through the pages, and find a passage telling me to kill witches or execute apostates. That's pretty damn easy to do with many popular religious books, though.

When we have people performing unspeakably cruel and terrible acts explicitly because those acts are mandated by their religion, blaming the religion is entirely reasonable. Calling those who place blame on the religion bigots and saying that blaming religion for the harm it causes is no better than racism is utterly absurd.
Stop thinking and feel. Remember you were made perfect and people piled the hate on you and the purpose of religion is to present the notion that you are loved even though you are "evil" so that you will forgive yourself and stop your self hate.

I see nothing wrong with faith as the person who is optimistic will have a better success rate at what they attempt than a person who is a defeatist. Faith is precursor for nearly everything we do if you think about it. A marriage, a business start up, anything.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 2, 2016, 6:04:31 AM
"
and is more than able to communicate with you...

Does anybody know how to block this God guy? He keeps sending me spam about sins and turn-the-other-cheek stuff that I'm not interested into, and I'm fed up with these bleeding stigmata, for Christ's sake.
"
Jennik wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

That's not remotely true. Atheism carries no dogma telling you what is bad and how to kill certain people. I can't crack open "The Big Book of Atheism," flip through the pages, and find a passage telling me to kill witches or execute apostates. That's pretty damn easy to do with many popular religious books, though.

When we have people performing unspeakably cruel and terrible acts explicitly because those acts are mandated by their religion, blaming the religion is entirely reasonable. Calling those who place blame on the religion bigots and saying that blaming religion for the harm it causes is no better than racism is utterly absurd.

You could argue the power of state or a state's constitution acts as an atheist religion to justify people killing or doing other terrible things such as soldiers, prison executioners, guantanamo guards torturing and raping inmates etc.

It's true religion has given rise to innumerable acts of cruelty but even if religion didn't exist we would find ways of justifying our terrible acts.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
Jennik wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

You could argue the power of state or a state's constitution acts as an atheist religion to justify people killing or doing other terrible things such as soldiers, prison executioners, guantanamo guards torturing and raping inmates etc.

It's true religion has given rise to innumerable acts of cruelty but even if religion didn't exist we would find ways of justifying our terrible acts.

Russians killed like 20 million of their own in atheism name. Europeans and other killed 100 million in WW2 without god but for power and racism. Do we need to talk about the genocide of the American Indian and millions of others around the world for land and manifest destiny? Can region be used for genocide? Sure but not wholesale as its tenants mores and atmospherics are against it unlike atheistic constructs which can be anything from eugenics to political slaughter to plain ole greed.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 2, 2016, 6:55:45 AM
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
You could argue the power of state or a state's constitution acts as an atheist religion

You could argue that in the same way you can argue that Bigfoot controls the media or that Oprah's secretly a martian, but you probably shouldn't since it's absolute nonsense.

If a state constitution is the reason for doing something, then that thing is being done because of the state constitution, not because of atheism. You could blame the constitution in this case just as you could blame a religion when its doctrines are followed.

"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:

In some cases people will perform certain acts regardless. Outside of religion, though, how many apostates do you expect to see executed? What can you blame their deaths on if not religion? It's not like the people executing them simply have a murder quota they're trying to fulfill and are executing these people just to fill in checkboxes. They're doing it expressly because their religion commands it.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Non sense. Russians killed like 20 million of their own in atheism name. Europeans and other killed 100 million in WW2 without god but for power and racism. Can region be used for genocide? Sure but not wholesale as its tenants mores and atmospherics are against it unlike atheistic constructs which can be anything from eugenics to political slaughter.

Make sure you can differentiate between when people do things due to the fact that they're atheists and when atheists do things. There are no end of reasons to do things. I've never seen a person do something expressly because they don't believe in any gods, though. Atheism has no rules people must follow.

You may also want to check into how much violence is actually commanded by religions. You can do a Google search for something like "violence in the Bible" or "violence in the Quran" to see those books advocating some pretty horrific acts. We're just lucky that hardly anybody actually follows their religions religiously. The biggest problem with Islam today is that, unlike Christianity, too many of its followers actually follow their religion.

Also, from Wikipedia:

"A census in May 1939, six years into the Nazi era[2] and incorporating the annexation of mostly Catholic Austria into Germany, indicates that 54% considered themselves Protestant, 40% Catholic, 3.5% self-identified as "gottgläubig" (lit. "believers in god", often described as predominately creationist and deistic),[3] and 1.5% as non-religious."

I'm not sure why you believe Nazis were "without god." They were clearly believers. "Gott mit uns" isn't something they just said for laughs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info