Melee balance

Melee is viable when you dont mind skipping bosses like in Village Ruin, dangerous mods on rare mobs and all other shit that is irrevelant when you are playing ranged
I do mind skipping these so im not going to play melee build ever again
"
Poutsos wrote:
They could take all single target melee skills(the ones tha need splash), DOUBLE their base damage, make them have an in built fortify on hit, and make them reflect immune and they will STILL not be worth it (except flicker maybe).

Well, in current "ultra-fast oneshot" meta - probably.... But with few tweaks to make game a bit harder - what you propose is kinda too much.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I think melee could be ok (despite of less dmg) if he gets a kind of 1-shoot protection (maybe trough fortify sup. gem or inmortal call mechanic) to mess against strong 1-hits (not filtered by armor at all) ranged chars can evade easily.

A change on armor mechanic can work too, providing aditional damage filtering against melee hits, specially extra powerful ones.
Last edited by Halugar on May 29, 2016, 10:35:07 AM
rule of thumb is that damage is inverce to range and AOE, if we want any resemblance of choice and balance we should start from there.

range damage should be at least 30% inferion than melee damage and aoe damage should be doing at least half the damage single target does.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

I can only see single targeting becoming viable again (and even then who knows) if GGG cuts down the mob density by 60-70% in the maps. Damage penalty on AoE and Ranged ain't going to do much if you can still target more than one enemy at once and be at a safe range to target them. Single Targeting implies taking down a monster one at a time....good luck when you got 3 or 4 packs of mobs right in your face. Even then, it gets really annoying trying to take a lot of packs when they standing near one or two "YOU SHALL NOT DIE" totems. Of course, you can move away and make them follow....oh yeah, turn your back on your enemies.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on May 29, 2016, 1:51:13 PM
Yep, that's another part of the picture. Pack sizes in late game get so huge that single target skills are simply not viable. Especially since, once again, ranged get all the huge AoE skills.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Yep, that's another part of the picture. Pack sizes in late game get so huge that single target skills are simply not viable. Especially since, once again, ranged get all the huge AoE skills.

Actually, melee cant have "huge AoE skills". When melee gets those, he isnt melee any longer!
So, obviously, all such skills belong to ranged classes, such as LA, Ice Trap, CoC discharge, Earthquake and others.
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
I can only see single targeting becoming viable again (and even then who knows) if GGG cuts down the mob density by 60-70% in the maps. Damage penalty on AoE and Ranged ain't going to do much if you can still target more than one enemy at once and be at a safe range to target them. Single Targeting implies taking down a monster one at a time....good luck when you got 3 or 4 packs of mobs right in your face. Even then, it gets really annoying trying to take a lot of packs when they standing near one or two "YOU SHALL NOT DIE" totems. Of course, you can move away and make them follow....oh yeah, turn your back on your enemies.

A good point there.
Mob density is indeed way too high, and single tough mobs are way too infrequent and unrewarding. Some parties even skip most rare mobs, cause those "hurt" their "clear speed".

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on May 29, 2016, 2:38:03 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

A good point there.
Mob density is indeed way too high, and single tough mobs are way too infrequent and unrewarding. Some parties even skip most rare mobs, cause those "hurt" their "clear speed".

I don't see why people act like you can't turn single target attacks into AoE attacks or the fact you would only use single targets on single targets.

It doesn't require you to be a genius to figure out "Single target abilities are good on single targets" when vast majority of the game you fight hoards of enemies.

Okay let's say they cut mob amounts in half.

Okay now my AoE attack will hit 5x mobs instead of 10x mobs, still better than single target. You know why? Because that is what AoE attacks are made for.

Because there are no CDs in the game (single target/AoE cds ect), all you need is one attack for AoE and then one attack for single target.

Single/AoE targeting is a problem of how the skill gem system is set up and the fact that you only really use 2 attacks anyway, changing this will not buff or change melee.

Let me use the D2 example, range characters could teleport around the map one shotting entire squads of monsters with screen wide attacks. But you know what were the most expensive characters that everyone also built? Melee characters that are ultra tanky specially built for specific purposes of slaying ultra hard bosses quickly.

Until we give melee a purpose or niche over range, it is simply a build that doesn't attack as far. Melee is hardly anymore tanky then range since you legitimately can get the near same amount of defenses as range without being in everything's face.

For example "devos" that are suppose to "counter "Ranged characters will blast and destroy melee characters just as hard.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on May 29, 2016, 3:27:17 PM
Mob density too high?

Y'all are smoking crack.

I want MORE mobs. XP gain is way too slow as it is! Why is it better to clear a map and get 1% level, as opposed to taking another 3 minutes to clear the map and get 5%?

SMOKE CRACK ERRYDAY!
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info