Melee balance

"
Boem wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
melee balance does not exist

it is an afterthought and a noob traps that will dishearten new players and make them leave

currently there is NOT A SINGLE reason to play melee. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

- It's bad ass and it looks bad ass.

Peace,

-Boem-

If by "bad ass" you mean "unnecessarily dangerous to the point of stupidity", sure.
Melee technically used to be the more cost effective/easier to build then ranged characters.

With the advent of super cheap items/more effective skill trees/ascendancies then they really don't have anything. On top of super buffing every single ranged attack.

So even if your melee character isn't as good as your ranged, at least he was 1/10th the cost and much easier to level up.

If you want to make melee good then you have to make melee super expensive + difficult to make but can do things ranged builds cannot.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on May 28, 2016, 1:16:14 PM
I've been RT Melee for ~3.5 years, and I definitely feel the pain within this thread, but you must change and adapt.

https://youtu.be/kvb60PDapHs
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
Last edited by Ahfack on May 29, 2016, 9:05:57 AM
EQ isn't melee. Try something that actually requires you to hit monsters.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
EQ isn't melee. Try something that actually requires you to hit monsters.

You can hit monsters in many ways, but what you are referring to is using a weapon and standing right next to their face and poking them with it. I call that close-range melee. Well, good luck not getting jumped unless you have a ton of defensive mitigations then it is bearable.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on May 28, 2016, 5:07:46 PM
I view EQ as melee storm call :)
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
Here are some advantage-disadvantage dichotomies.

* long(er) range vs short(er) range
* hits multiple/more targets vs hits single/fewer targets
* deals damage all at once vs deals damage over time
* faster action speed vs slower action speed

In order to design skills such that selecting one or two of these disadvantages is still viable, it must consistently be the case that that number of disadvantages MUST be selected. There is zero possibility of "true melee" balance in a game where long-range, multi-target, fast instant damage skills are available.

Zero.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
What i do not understand is why ranged (bows) got the same if not better treatment than melee damage wise and support wise. Ranged weapons for instance have massive damage multiplier tiers on them, why? Its not like they were any less appealing, not to mention they get Quivers.

Better AOE skills, safer and as a result, fast(er) clear speeds.

Likely nothing is going to be done about this though. Maybe a little bit at a time. Though they really pussed out on how endurance charges are doled out for melee and how much of a pain Fort is to keep up if you don't want to sac 40% M-damage on a support slot.

Yawn.
"
Rusery wrote:
What i do not understand is why ranged (bows) got the same if not better treatment than melee damage wise and support wise. Ranged weapons for instance have massive damage multiplier tiers on them, why? Its not like they were any less appealing, not to mention they get Quivers.

Better AOE skills, safer and as a result, fast(er) clear speeds.

Likely nothing is going to be done about this though. Maybe a little bit at a time. Though they really pussed out on how endurance charges are doled out for melee and how much of a pain Fort is to keep up if you don't want to sac 40% M-damage on a support slot.

Yawn.

How do you plan to give melee better clear speed without completely boning ranged? If you touch ranged right now, the amount of sheer animal rage would be incalculable.

Especially with people not considering earthquake to be melee, for some reason.
Melee doesn't need the clear speed of a ranged character. They have the benefit of higher survive-ability. Whether your melee or ranged you have to sacrifice something either way.
Ranged sacrifices survive-ability while Melee sacrifices clear speed.

I can say I'd always take a melee character over a ranged for boss fights and ranged over melee for map clear speed. The proper balance would be to add in more worthwhile boss fights so melee serves a better overall purpose.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info