Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Melee balance

The game could have evolved to continue accommodating varying gameplay styles more readily, but GGG saw that what the players wanted was super speed oriented, screen melting AOE ranged. So, they did what they felt would keep their players happiest.

As Scrotie said, you cannot have both. Not when what's expected is AOE screen clearing speed. The game cannot allow a slower style without even making it even EASIER for the outrageous thing they've created.

Perhaps in PoE2

Until then, play whatever version of non-melee aoe you wish. :)
Aside from really weird block builds using Rearguard, at least melee has block? Block and spell block are nice.
I'm not impressed with a lot of the arguments in this thread: if things were reversed pretty much everything that is being said about ranged would instead be said about melee.

The questions that needs to be answered are:

How much of an advantage is it to be ranged in this game? (eliminate all other factors).

What is a fair drawback to compensate for this advantage?

The answer to the first is: 'huge' because right now the game is tuned to low white mob health, and spikes of damage designed to one shot you, even if you are quite tanky.

The answer to the second is quite subjective, and dependent on your answer to the first, and I haven't thought enough about it to answer here and now.
"
DrGoatMD wrote:
Aside from really weird block builds using Rearguard, at least melee has block? Block and spell block are nice.

Bow builds have acro and phase acro without drawback, which are like block but better (since there's no possibility of being stunned or taking on-hit effects when you dodge). Non-bow ranged builds still have block, be it from staves, dual-wielding, or most commonly a shield.

Meanwhile not even all melees even have block, as 2handers aside from staves don't get it, and unless you're a pure evasion 2hander, you don't have acro/PA either.
Last edited by Shppy on May 28, 2016, 9:52:58 PM
Melee should have more damage, move speed, resilience than ranged. How much? That could be balanced based on statistics.
Single targhet should have more damage than AoE. To the point where statisticaly there is a 50% choice betwen.

I`m just saying those becouse they use the word "melee". And "realistic".

But, when green blades fall from the sky, 3 times, autoaiming, always hitting and doing physical damage, i don`t expect anything.

PS I play melee regardless of those considerations becouse that is what i enjoy playing. I`m not easily enthusiast to embrace some peculiar built just becouse is efficient. I regard PoE as a platform that employes a diablo 2 like experience, that failed to comerciality.
Last edited by Argedava on May 29, 2016, 3:18:36 AM
"
Argedava wrote:

Ex: Melee physical damage - 150% more damage at lvl 20

LOL at this, but yes please!
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)
"
XerxezBreak wrote:
Melee doesn't need the clear speed of a ranged character. They have the benefit of higher survive-ability. Whether your melee or ranged you have to sacrifice something either way.
Ranged sacrifices survive-ability while Melee sacrifices clear speed.

I can say I'd always take a melee character over a ranged for boss fights and ranged over melee for map clear speed. The proper balance would be to add in more worthwhile boss fights so melee serves a better overall purpose.
Ranged has higher survivability than melee. Anyone sitting in this thread saying "ranged has poor survivability" has not played a ranged character.

My ROA Ranger was literally the most relaxing, easy, quickest leveling experience i had and its also the character i found my Mirror on.

Why ? Because range is range and they dont get hit by 90% of things that would hit you if youre playing melee.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
innervation wrote:
I'm not impressed with a lot of the arguments in this thread: if things were reversed pretty much everything that is being said about ranged would instead be said about melee.

The questions that needs to be answered are:

How much of an advantage is it to be ranged in this game? (eliminate all other factors).

What is a fair drawback to compensate for this advantage?

The answer to the first is: 'huge' because right now the game is tuned to low white mob health, and spikes of damage designed to one shot you, even if you are quite tanky.

The answer to the second is quite subjective, and dependent on your answer to the first, and I haven't thought enough about it to answer here and now.
Remove ranged off screening for starters.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
OJ8_Graz wrote:
"
Argedava wrote:

Ex: Melee physical damage - 150% more damage at lvl 20

LOL at this, but yes please!

Here`s more lol: guess where is this inspired from:

Blade rise
One handed sword
Damage 417–625
Critical Strike Chance: 5.00%
Attack speed 1.3
Always hits
Ignores blocking
Atacks 3 times, each subsequent atack deals 5% less damage
Atacks have splash damage
They could take all single target melee skills(the ones tha need splash), DOUBLE their base damage, make them have an in built fortify on hit, and make them reflect immune and they will STILL not be worth it (except flicker maybe).
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info